Changing Planes inTokyo

Search

Changing Planes inTokyo

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Planes inTokyo

I'll be flying from the US to Bali in June, with a stopover in Tokyo. The scheduled time between flights is only 1 hour, 10 minutes Both flights are on Japan Airlines. I've never been to anywhere in Asia before and I have no idea what kind of processing I'll have to go thru in Tokyo, so I'm concerned that an hour ten will not be long enough to make my next flight. Does anyone have experience with changing planes in Tokyo? Will JAL likely hold the second flight if there is a delay? Are the airport and airling staff likely to speak English if I need help?

Any and all advice welcom!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM

If you were booked through on a single ticket on JAL, then you have at least the legal connection time. When you land in Narita, you will have to go through security again before going to the boarding area for your next flight. This security check (walk though a metal detector, put your carry-on through an xray) is quick and efficient. There are reader boards in several locations that will tell you the gate number for your next flight. You will already have your boarding pas and your luggage will be checked through to Bali.

There will be airport personnel that speak English available to you. I know of no airlines that hold a flight for delayed passengers. While that used to happen on occasion, gate space and landing slots are now so crowded, flights are not held.

I change planes at Narita every Asia trip and I find Narita efficient and well-organized. I expect that an hour will be plenty of time for your plane change.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM

I presume you booked both flights under the same ticket/booking?

They should give you boarding passes for both flights when you first check in. Your bags should be checked all the way through to Bali, so no need to go through passport control.

You basically follow the sign for Transfer, go through security check after you get off the plane. 1hr 10min is a bit on a tight side to make international connections, but perfectly doable (JAL flights are all in the same terminal) so long as the arriving flight is not severely delayed. Staff would understand basic English and signages are in English too.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM

Since you stay on the air side the whole time, you won't have to go thru customs or immagration. NRT is very easy to navigate, and you will be able to find your connecting flight with ease.

As long as your flight arrives on time, you have plenty of time to make it. It seems like every time we transit NRT we are running to our next flight because we left the US late, thanks AA!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

<i>&quot;I know of no airlines that hold a flight for delayed passengers.&quot;</i>

It depends on situation. While JL is unlikely to hold a flight at NRT; UA and NW definitely will, as those have much higher percentage of connecting customers at NRT. NW in particular.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM

Why don't you call JAL? I bet they'll take good care of you - that was my experience with Japanese businesses in general.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I feel much more confident now that I know more or less what to expect.