Alternative to Bali in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip to Bali has been nixed for July, as my husband is a military officer.

Can anyone suggest a similar destination in Asia?

We will be travelling from Tokyo and will have only five or six nights, so we'd like a place that is easy to reach.

We had been looking forward to Seminyak for its great beach and restaurants; we'd prefer to steer clear of backpacker havens and nightclubs but do not want to be completely isolated.

We'd also prefer a smaller hotel/bungalow/villa with some character rather than an enormous all-inclusive resort.

Also, hot sunny weather is very important.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Koh Samui is an option. You'd fly to Bangkok and take a Bangkok Air flight from there. There are also some nice beaches on the east coast of Malaysia. The one I can think of that is easiest to get to by plane is Kuantan - you could fly from Tokyo to KL and take a flight to Kuantan from there.

Other than Bali, I can't immediately think of some place that is just one flight away. Well, Hua Hin is a possibility, a flight to Bangkok and a 2.5 hour drive.
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie.

We don't mind drives or connecting flights, just nothing too elaborate; our time is limited, so we don't want to waste much of it just getting there.

I gather it is the rainy season in Phuket/Phi Phi/etc. Do you know if this is also the case in Langkawi?
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Hi Bella-

I can recommend a resort in Central Vietnam...beautiful beach and private plunge pools...really amazing, but a bit on the pricey side. http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-...-Bay/index.php

Perhaps you could balance a few days there with some less expensive days in Hanoi or Hoi An.

What is your budget?
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM

I would go to Hawaii actually, great weather, very easy trip from Tokyo, loads of activities. Since you only have 5-6 nights, IMO the shortest plane ride might be best, and you can go non-stop from Tokyo to Honolulu and most other islands. It’s also low season so you may find hotel deals. It may not be exotic (but neither is Seminyak really IMO, its too touristed, but quite pretty and relaxing for a vacation), but there is a lot on offer.

Otherwise, Samui is a good choice. The east coast of Malaysia, i.e. areas south of Samui in the Gulf of Thailand, is very beautiful and in good weather in July, and that would be a good option as well. I think you would find Langkawi to be quite rainy, as it is just south of Phuket and both are on the west coast. See weatherbase.com for info. Hainan Island (the “Hawaii” of China) is another thought. Beaches of Vietnam would be good too.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM

The problem with Hawaii is that it is an 8 hour flight from Tokyo. (well, 7 hours one way, 8 hours the other) For me, that would be too much flying time for 5 or 6 nights.

As Cicerone says, the whole west side of the peninsula (Phuket, PhiPhi, Langkawi) is rainy at that time of the year. On the other hand, if you don't mind the rain, you can get accommodations for very low prices! But if better weather is what you are looking for, Koh Samui, Hua Hin or the east coast of Malaysia are the best options.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, Cicerone.

We have been to Hawaii a few times--we'd like to see something new. Also, we'll be moving out of Asia soon and would like to do one last trip in this region.

So, good to know Langkawi is out. I've looked into Samui and am leaning toward that.

However, Vietnam is intriguing as well. Are there specific areas you can recommend?
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM

bella, just curious, what does your husband's career have to do with Bali? (Please note, this isn't an anti-military comment. I'm a fan.)
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM

langkawi in malaysia

hua hin in thailand...see my post about tne newish sheraton
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM

I have not been to beaches in Vietnam in so long that I really can’t recco (“China Beach” Da Nang was nice, but that was years and years ago). Six Senses reoc’d above generally have nice hotels. I think if you do a search here you would find info, also check guidebooks for info on beaches.

What I like about Hawaii from Japan is that you have a huge choice of non-stops and most are night flights for one leg, which for such a short trip would give you more time (although you will “lose” a day going back, you gain one day on the flight to Hawaii so its sort of a wash). In my experience it is hard to find evening flights and even just non-stops to beach areas in SE Asia from Tokyo. For Koh Samui you are going to have to connect either through Hong Kong or Bangkok which means you will eat up the better part of one day on either end or have longish layovers for night flights. For Vietnam, you will have to go into HCM or Hanoi and then a short flight or train, car etc to a beach. Eats into time, but perhaps you were OK with this for Bali to begin with, although there are night return flights from Bali which make a short trip more appealing. (And of course once you land in Denpasar, you only have like a 10 to maybe 30 minute drive to a beach depending on where you are going; I would say the same is true for Koh Samui if that helps.) But if you have been to Hawaii enough times, perhaps not worth it even with the night flights.

If you have not been to Guam, there are non-stops from Tokyo. I am not a huge fan I have to say, although the diving is great (only been once, did not think much of the main city itself).

Fiji and Tahiti might be possible, I think there is a rainy season, in both check weather websites.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM

In Vietnam, my top beaches are "Mui Ne Beach" and "China beach (My Khe, Danang)". Both totally beautiful. http://www.worldreviewer.com/experiences/beach/