Chang Mai, Bangkok and Final Island Decision

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on my final plans for my honeymoon in May. We were really ahead of schedule and then the tsunami hit. After much deliberation and reading these posts, we have decided to continue with our Thailand Honeymoon.

But now it is crunch time! We are flying into Phuket but we do not know where to stay. We are looking for a hotel that has private bungalows where we will know we are in Thailand and can decompress for 3 days. We would like to be on the beach and have access to things like sea kayaking, restaurants, etc. I have looked at Krabi and Koh Lanta but I can't narrow it down. Can you recommend something. We are okay with spending up to $175 a night.

Then we leave for Chiang Mai. We would like to stay somewhere that is pretty centrally located -- near restaurants and the market. Is Rachamankha in a good location?

After that we head to Bangkok where we plan to stay at the Conrad Hotel ad use our Hilton points. Is this a decent location?

We would appreciate ANY advice!!

Thank you!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM

The Rachamankha is a good location but I think Tamarind Village is a better one. Someone on a different thread suggested Baan Orapin which is actually an upscale B & B which looks really nice and is in a terrific location.

As for Bangkok -- I definitely would suggest staying on the river. Especially on a honeymoon. Since May is not high season in Bangkok you should be able to get good rates at the river hotels. Oriental, Peninsula, Royal Orchid, Shangrila, Marriott -- we all have our favorites but I think you'd be happy at any of them.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM

Stayed at the Conrad for the first time a couple of weeks ago - the location is central enough & close to BTS but away from the river. Stayed in a "Classic" room i.e. standard which was superb. Nice restaurants too - the buffet was great value.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM

We stayed at the Rachamankha last month and walked past the Tamarind Village. The 2 properties have the same owner with Rachamankha being the more upscale hotel of the two. I prefered the location for the Rachamankha since the Tamarind Village is right on the main street where the weekend market is...also preffered the rooms at the Rachamankha.Rachamankha is in a side street so away from the noise...we were on our honeymoon as well and enjoyed the fact that we were located centrally yet in a quiet area.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM

In Bangkok, I must agree with Gloria, staying by the river makes all the difference. I've benn to Bangkok many times and wouldn't think of staying elsewhere.

That said, if you've decided you must use your points, the Conrad has gotten good reviews.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM

conrad is fantastic...make sure you have dim sum one day at lunch on the 3rd floor...fantastic and interesting way to do it from a menu and its fixed price...
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM

Phuket is not that much of a beach bungalow place, some hotel resorts are on the beach but many are back some distance from the beach. Watch out for rain in May, you can be lucky, you could be unlucky. Actually you are in the same situation as another poster looking also for beachside place where you can get restaurants, nice beachside accommodation and do similar things, take a look at that post as I am given some ideas.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM

Amyl, look at the thread "Phuket Honeymoon" as they also asking roughly same as you and I gave some ideas. Again, weather, you can be lucky but if it did rain people would just say ' oh well, it is the rainy season', so it's worth looking at Koh Samui too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:33 AM

If you are using points the Conrad should be fine - at most spend 1 night on the river - perhapss omewheer more authentic than a hotel eg the Chakrabongse Villas (an earlier post of mone should give you the website, I think www.thaivillas.com). In Chinag Mai the Tamarind Village is a great basic option, VFM at US$40-50/night. Rachamanka is certainly more luxurious. Ban Sabai is another spa/boutique option.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
CFW

For the island part of your honeymoon, I highly recommend the Pimalai on Koh Lanta. Very romantic with private lovely upscale bungalows, beautiful beach with clear tourquoise/blue water, sea kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, and a lovely infinity pool. Very tropical feel with stunning landscaping. The restaurants at the resort were also romantic with delicious Thai and western/fusion cuisine. They were so happy to have us visit (just a month after the tsunami) and we had the most gracious, warm service.