Help me pick a Bangkok hotel

Jun 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Help me pick a Bangkok hotel

Hey folks,

I have been following this Thailand message board ever since the protest began and I thank everyone, especially Hauman, for all the info. It has been quite helpful in trying to determine whether or not I was going to cancel my July/August honeymoon. Anyway, we are hoping things stay calm and are planning to make a go of it. We are spending 4 nights in Bangkok before we are off to the islands for a couple of weeks. I have narrowed down my hotels to three and wanted to hear your recommendations. We are considering Park Plaza Sukhimvit Hotel, Adelphi Suites, and Chatrium Suites Hotel on the river. All have excellent ratings on tripadviser.

We are coming from LA so I imagine the first day we will sleep and adjust to the time change a little, not venture to far from the hotel. On days 2 and 3, we'd like to do some shopping and sightseeing. The sights I am particularly interested in is Ayutthaya ruins and the floating markets. So, based on this rough agenda, what hotel sounds best? Should we go to the river or stay more towards downtown?
Thanks for the help.
Jun 12th, 2010, 11:24 PM

If you are planning on taking tours and sightseeing, and for your first time, I would stay closer to the river. I personally love the Sukhumvit area, but taxis often get stuck in traffic and its' harder to get around,unless you use the wonderful skytrain. (but not for a romantic honeymoon). BTW, do take the time to see the National Museum and the Palace. Amazing culture and history. Don't believe any of the touts who tell you it's closed, its a trick!
Jun 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM

I agree stay at a riverside hotel, especially since you're on your honeymoon. The hotels in Thailand are offering a lot of deals at the moment so it might be worth your time to email them instead of using a reservation website.
Jun 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Take a look at the Royal Oechid Sheraton, Shanri-la and the Marriott Resort for vey nice river hotels that give good value for the cost. The ROS and M have shuttles to the skytrain and the S is next door to it. We like the ROS for convenience.
Jun 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I'm very familiar with Adelphi Suites, as I have been staying ONLY there for the last 2+ years (some 6-8 times). I would not call it a honeymoon hotel, but maybe you are going to splurge while in the islands. You do not say where you are going.

I agree with the others that if it is your first trip to Bangkok, you should consider a place on the river. I have passed the Chatrium, by boat, and was impressed with the looks of the place, but another thing to consider is its proximity to food and shopping and sights. To me, it seems a little out of the way (as does the Marriott on the River... but it is most certainly an oasis in Bangkok!!!), but I'm someone who has been to Bangkok 20 times and I'm no longer interested in the river atmosphere. I only stay in the Sukhumvit area. The skytrain whisks me quickly to the river station at Saphan Taksin, should I want to go river exploring.

I have friends from Australia who just celebrated a 5 week honeymoon that included 4 weeks on tour in Europe, and then another 4 days in Bangkok. They stayed at the Shangri-La on the river and loved it. Granted, the price is more than the Chatrium.

I am planning to be in Bangkok for the last two weeks of July, arriving somewhere around the 19-20. If you are in the city at that time, you can come down to Sukhumvit for a cold beer or the best pizza in Bangkok (my family's opinion). You could also have a look at my apartment at the Adelphi Suites, just to give you an idea of what you 'might have selected' if you opt for the river instead of Suk.

Carol
Jun 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Check out Centrepoint Silom. It's a 5 minute walk to the river and a river taxi stop as well as a 3 minute walk to a skytrain stop. We stayed here 3 nights in March, left BKK the day the protests started. We stayed in a studio. We could have cooked nd done laundry in the room but didn't. Includes buffet breakfast. Highly rated on TA.I'd stay here again.
Jun 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM

staying on the river is fantastic, but perhaps you do not wish to spend that type of $$.... take a look at two additional places which are roughly in the same areas that the others are located:

marriott sukhumvit park serviced apartments...
marriott mayfair serviced apartments

i have visited both and both are very nice, well located and the suk park is less than one year old...i will be staying at both this fall...

the marriott resort and spa has some good rates right now too and that is on the river....it would be my choice for you...look at their prepaid rate at less than $125... www.marriott.com
use that site for all three hotels or use one of the discount sites
Jun 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM

One more vote for staying on the River. Its hypnotic. Being near a sky train station also is a huge plus.

Look around at a number of hotels, including the Shangri-La, even the Peninsula, perhaps. You are traveling "last minute" so to speak, without hotel reservations, and some good deals on various websites for those hotels have been offered. You may also want to email them directly, tell them its your honeymoon, see what promotions they are willing to offer. Tourist arrivals are still way down. While some hotels have not responded with price cuts, others have. It doesn't hurt to ask. We too, leaving in August, will try this same approach.
Jun 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow, great info guys, thanks. Well, riverside it is. Now it is time for a little research and hunting for a good price. What do you guys think about The Lebua? Is it a good riverside location or is it a little out of the way like the Chatrium. We'd like to spend about $100 a night or less in Bangkok, as we will be spending more in Phuket (not on hotel here but on other things), Koh Samui, and Koh Tao. I will also be looking at the ROS and the Marriot resort. Again, thanks for the great tips, keep them coming.
Jun 13th, 2010, 09:23 AM

I would not go to the Lebua. The Marriott has a true resort feel and it has the best pool in Bangkok. Some poo poo the boat ride to the sky train but we actually think its a great relaxing ride- about 10 minutes or so and they give you cold towels to refresh yourself during the ride. (hey you are on vacation whats the rush anyway!) Its Bob's favorite in Bangkok and we think its good value for the money as well.
Jun 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Lebua is not a river side hotel, though they often advertise themselves that way. The rooms are often described as dark, and the location is not great.

I'd go for a real riverside location if you can. It's off season, occupancy rates have been low, so there will be plenty of specials. Check each hotel's website, call or email them to ask for specials and make sure to mention that it is your honeymoon. Also, take a look at www.latestays.com Sometimes they have incredible deals.

If you want to stay at the Sheraton Royal Orchid, consider staying in the Towers, which gives you breakfast and free cocktails, canapes and desserts in the evening. Do you have any Starwood points?
Jun 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM

On Expedia, the following hotels are showing these nightly rates:

Shangri-la: $147
Sukhothai: $150 (not on the river but a great hotel)
The Pen: $227

Good luck and congratulations.
Jun 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM

A great price for a suite a the Peninsula on their "More Time" promotion. 9900 baht per night for two nights then third night free. Great treat for a honeymoon. Bookae on their website through June 25 for stays through August.
Jun 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Don't stay at LaBua... but be SURE to go to the top of that same building (it's called State Tower) and go to the gorgeous SKY BAR on the 64th floor. It is certainly one of the most beautiful outside bars in the world! The view is really awesome. Drinks are very expensive (there's also a dress code... no backpacker look, no clunky sandals) but you'll be fine if you buy just one drink and sip it s-l-o-w-l-y as you admire the view. Smart casual will be just fine as far as attire. Nice pants or skirt, khakis and loafers and polo for guys...

Not sure what you will find on the river for $100. Adelphi Suites is about $100 for an apartment, but a 'studio' (no washing machine... but laundry can be done very cheaply right along soi 8 just steps from Adelphi) should run you more like $70-80. Current exchange rate for the US$ is about 32.3 baht.

I don't know what price Chatrium is advertising, but keep in mind that being close to transportation (think skytrain and maybe subway) is very important. Bangkok traffic can be really awful. You'll sit and sit sometimes, if you choose to go by taxi.
Jun 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Chatrium does have a shuttle boat to the Skytrain every half hour. They do have good reviews on trip advisor, but note that they had all kinds of rave reviews before they opened. (That's the kind of thing that causes me to discount reviews on trip advisor.) You should be able to get a room at Chatrium for under $100.
Jun 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM

lebua is a river view, from afar hotel... it is at the base of silom road, a full 3 blocks from the river...

$100 will be very tough on the river...
Jun 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Last year we spent about $80 for a room at the Silom Centerpoint. It is only a block from the train station and riverfront. We absolutely loved it. It had the best breakfast in all the hotels we stayed at. The location was superb...just minutes away from the boats and train and just down the block from the Orchid Hotel. Don't be put off by the fact that this is a serviced apartment. The lobby is nice, the service good. I don't think it can be beat for the price and we would not hesitate to stay again. The room is a decent size and there is a washer and dryer in it if you need to wash any clothing.
Jun 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

I guess Lebua is out. I am a little surprised considering their reviews and pictures.

Anyway, that leaves R.O.S. at $107 (w/no breakfast) and the Millennium Hilton at $120 (w/no breakfast). R.O.S. has recently had some poor reviews as it sounds like they are severely understaffed following the protests. R.O.S.'s location sounds perfect though. Millennium is a little high, but I can be persuaded.

The Chatrium can be had for $84 and it comes with breakfast. It's location isn't ideal on the river, but it is better than the Marriot. The Chatrium looks nice, well appointed rooms with nice views, etc., but no one has really recommended it. Penninsula and Shangri La are too high, but can be had for about $150.

In the big scheme of things, all these prices are really good. But we looking to backload our budget on the islands, which is why we have the $100 goal.

I think I am between the Chatrium and the ROS. What do you guys think? You guys have been awesome, thx heaps!
Jun 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thx dgunbug, I will check out Centrepoint Silom.
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:49 AM

centre point is a good option and right next to the skytrain and shangri-la... good value for $$... it is not directly on the river however--one block away...

i consider chat. and marriott to be the most perfect river locations...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO