Chaing Mai and Phuket

Oct 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Chaing Mai and Phuket

My wife and I will be in CM for 5 days and P for 4 days. We're not beach people in any way. In CM, we're planning on going on a 1 night trek, will do a bit of shopping as well. But, wanted to hear of any specific suggestions. Specifically, we love anything about nature that is beautiful, but things like bird watching is just a bit too slow...

I've read on other posts about wood cracking issues when brought back to other cooler and dryer climates. How much of a risk is this? How common is it?

Also, in Phuket, we're looking for a beautiful hike to do. We're in our upper 20s and can handle about 8 miles (11 or so km) at the max. Ideally, we'd love a hike that climbs upward and finishes with a view of Phang Na, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Any other active suggestions in Phuket would be great, we can't take the beach for more than 2 minutes.

We're going in mid-late Oct, which, I understand is the end of the rainy season. Hope it holds off enough!

Thanks!
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM

how about kayaks?? lots of that on phuket....is it too much like the beach??

why are you going to phuket if you don't like the beach??
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:35 AM

If you love scenery you might consider only spending 3 days in Chiang Mai and then spending two days in either the Chiang Rai or the Mae Hong Son area.
Actually since you say you're not beach people, you might consider reducing your time in P by one day and adding it to the chiang rai or mae hong son area.
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM

It sounds that you like to be pretty active. You can trek in Phuket in the interior - we went with Phuket Trekking Club to Khao Sok National Park.

Phang Nga: I'm not aware of any treks/hikes around there but as Bob mentions there are sea kayaking trips that will take you right into the mangrove forests and the caves, amazing scenery with the limestone formations. You've said that you don't like the beach but I am not sure whether you don't like the water either? My boyfriend wont lie on a beach or by a pool for even 30 secs but will spend all day in boats or diving/snorkelling - or hanging off a cliff precarious dangled over the water which brings me to Krabi where you can go rock climbing on the limestone cliffs - Railay (East) and Phra Nang are good.
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM

In Phuket, you can actually arrange a one or two night kayaking trip in Phang Nga Bay.