Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ko Samui and Phuket in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Eight of us (four couples)are going to spend 4 nights in Ko Samui, Chiang Mai (one of the 4 in Chiang Rai), and Phuket each in the middle to the end of November. We are casual types, and would like 3 star-ish rooms. Any hotel suggestions? We already have our transportation. Thanks!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM

For Chiang Mai I would try Baan Orapin which is a small b and b that has gotten excellent reviews. If you want a well located but blad commercial hotel you could try Chiang Mai Plaza. If you want something truly unique you might consider Joy's House.

For Chiang Rai try the Wiang Hotel or Dusit Island Resort.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:26 AM

As Gloria says Baan Orapin gets good reviews, other nice Chiang mai places and good value are Rydges, Suriwongse ( very cwentral ), Rydges etc.
On Koh Samui we like peace resort, Tradewinds Cottages and Molto Cortese nice too, but you need to decide 'which beach' first, same applies to Phuket, you need to decide on beach, there are probably over 100 options falling into your 3 star range so deciding which beach area you want, whether remote, average quiet, busy, also note that although lots of places on Samui are right on the beach there are far less right on the beach in Phuket.
Decide beaches and then many of us can come back with specifis, if you are not familiar with the beaches tell us more of what you are looking for and we can give you suggestions.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Okay, what beach? Well, we are all in our 40's and are very easy going and like to walk and sightsee, but aren't really into partying. Maybe a venture out one night somewhere, but that's about it. We like it not too crowded, but not too isolated either. So, how about it on good beaches for us in Ko Samui or Phuket? Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Koh Samui - Sounds like Bophut Beach would suit you, nice and relaxed but not too far to venture to other beaches like Chaweng, many of us like Peace Resort at Bophut, stable well established place, very reasonable prices.

Phuket - Sounds like Kata and Karon, you can find restaurants and local shops in both, they only minutes apart, you go north about 15 minutes to Patong which is the heady nightlife area. Many have been asking recently about Phuket hotels heading into high season as the rates shoot up so a lot has been posted about mid range 3 star range places, we found ( well I did anyway ) that although 4/5 star places had rates shooting thru the roof many 3 star range places were still fairly reasonable, though still up as it's high season, found those between USD 50 and 100 that were quite ok, you would probably have to go well over that but if you are into beach and getting out and about there are still value for money places. Kata Garden resort, sea Sand Resort and Old Phuket all came out well priced for that time.
Try these to get photos, ideas of prices and beach ideas:

http://www.nongasia.com/hotel_koh_samui.html

www.patong-beach-hotels.com
( for Phuket beaches, you can view Kata beach and then Karon beach to get ideas )

Note that Samui can be rainy in November, sometimes quite a lot, I know many will be suggesting cut out Samui and spend longer in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and Phuket, Samui and Phuket ( if it's your first visit ) will seem very similar in many ways, though different, considoring weather perhaps use those days for extra time in Chiang rai/Golden Triangle and then you can fly non-stop from Chiang Mai to Phuket.

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi and Thanks!
Yes, I am familiar with rain in Ko Samui in November, but that's the way we have to do it this trip. One of our party has a daughter there and we had to choose it first to connect with her. But it's only 4 days, so maybe we'll luck out!! We already have paid for all our travel and have specific dates. The only thing we haven't booked is the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, but I'll get to that. Any recommended web-sites to book the over night train for that?

Gee, this web-site is amazing. I wish I would have tuned into it years ago. Thanks!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I think most of us would urge you to skip the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and to fly instead.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, we are flying everywhere else, and I thought it would be nice to have one train ride. I did it many years ago and it was okay. Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hi seeksocean,in samui,Unlike most of the other posters I am a big fan of Chaweng beach.It can be a bit busy in places but the south end has the best combination of sand and water quality on the whole Island and most of the beach front resorts there form a peaceful little cul-de-sac away from the bustle of central and north Chaweng.I have stayed at the Chaweng Resort which has lovely little bungalows and reasonable ammenities.Last time we went we stayed the Chaba Resort which was a bit too "hotel-like" and we missed the more Island type feel of the Chaweng Resort.I also checked out a newer place right next door to the Chaweng Resort called the Chaweng Cabana's and they looked ab fab,we will stay there next time we go.Remember also that you are likely to get a few rainy days at that time of the year so you will be better of being walking distance away from some vibrant shopping and nightlife in case you miss out on beach weather.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 06:35 PM

with such a short visit do not waste the time on the train...fly to CM...

i second james' suggestion of the peace resort...try to get 4 of the 5 beach front bungalows...you will love them...the restaurant is very good and reasonable there...bophut town is a 10-15 minute walk with good places to eat and a couple of bars...

baan bophut is also getting good reviews, save one, here on fodors...it is new...
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Peace resort sounds...peaceful, I get the rates! I think we are going to keep the train since it's overnight and these guys want one train trip outta the deal. All of our other transportation is by plane and is already booked.

Still looking for an excursion from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. Do you recommend an overnight there, or can it be done in one long day from Chiang Mai?
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

One more! Before I start my research on booking Peace Resort, any suggestions on the best way to book it? Directly, web-sites, etc. Thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM

You can go to CR from CM and back in one very long day but unless all you care about is scenery I'm not sure it's worth it. I would absolutely go for overnight so you can see some of the sights in the area -- especially the Queen Mother's garden and craft projects at Doi Tung.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank Gloria,
Sounds about right. I think we'll maybe keep the room in Chiang Mai as well, because it's cheap enough, rather than move out for one night. Any places to stay that you like in Chiang Rai?
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Try Wiang Hotel which is right in town or Dusit Island Resort if you want more of a resort feel while still being in town.

You might consider going one way by boat.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Last New Year's we stayed in a lovely boutique hotel on the river in Chiang Rai, The Legend, about as distant to town as the Dusit. We felt that the Dusit was a large city hotel in the country.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I agree the Wiang Inn downtown is ideal, about $35 a night double, if you want a classier place the Central River House Resort is great.
Try www.nongasia.com/chiang_rai.html

Another place worth a look is the "Little Duck", it's only about $35 also for a double incluidng breakfast, don't expect too much but for that price is is great value, or again, if you are there 1 night and so want to be in the center, I think the Wiang Inn is about the best value:

http://www.r24.org/nongasia.com/chia...ginn/pictures/

If you want close to river but not far from town the Rimkok is another $32-35 option.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Okay...Booked the Peace resort, booked the Baan Orapin, now I am on to Phuket rooms and the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I'll look into the Phuket places that JamesA mentioned. Any suggestions for a web-site to book the train? Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I checked out a few hotels, but I need some more suggestions on Kata or Karon beach in Phuket. 3-4 star. This is for late November. Something on the beach and nice decor and pool. Thanks!!!