car service BKK

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car service BKK

I know this is a really dumb question. As noted in a previous email, I will be in BKK for a long layover ( 4 PM to 1 AM). After your comments I have decided to go to one of the suggested restaurants. but I REALLY don't want to hassle with a taxi cab .. every time I am in BKK I always get screwed by the cabs ( yeah I know what you're thinking) but it's been my experience that in BKK ( and other places as well) if they see ya comin----
AND I MUST HAVE A BIG SIGN ON ME

Anyway, an agent in BKK has suggested a car for $95 US for us ( I need the car from 4:30-10PM as you have to be there 3 hours ahead_ enough for a massage and dinner.....

Can anyone suggest a reputable car service in BKK or another agency that I can email that can provide a car? There are 3 of us and after schlepping in India- I don't want to get annoyed that I am overpaying for the cab in BKK. It's a mind set- I know - and if push comes to shove I will take the cab - On three previous occasions I have been to BKK and all 3 times I KNOW I got taken - it's not the $$.. it's the principle.

Any suggestions for car service?

Thanks
[email protected]
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Well for $95, I'd just take the chance a cab might overcharge. It shouldn't be more than 500 baht from the airport to the river area or back and you can drive for an hour for around 50-60 baht. Back to the airport for another 500. Looking at under 1500 baht if you just drove the whole time. Even if you pay double you still come out ahead.

You could also negotiate at the OAt desks in the airport or check with thses people:
http://www.aactours.com/en/products/car_rent.php
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Yipes! If you paid $95 for a car service for 5.5 hours, I'd say you then had reason to say you'd been taken.

In terms of taxis, simply always ask for the meter to be used, That's all there is to it. If they won't use the meter, get out and get another. End of story.

If you really want a car service, I'd agree with Lcuy to try aac. I use them for airport pickups in Bangkok regularly. Note that you can ask for the type of car you want - say a Mercedes or a Mercedes van. The taxis are smallish, so you may be more comfortable in a larger car. You can email aac to pre-arrange. They are very responsive.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone- I think I agree that even if I get "taken" by the cab driver- it's still got to be cheaper. But I generally have a semi hard time getting a cab from downtown BKK to take me to the airport - I might try it though - once again thanks for the input- I needed feedback on this issue
LDTC2
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM

I've used Julie's taxi service several times in BKK and would highly recommend them. Can't imagine that it would be $95 for such a short period.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM

In order to get a taxi back to the airport, just go to one of the 5 star hotels in town and have the doorman get you one. He'll tell them to use the meter, give a card with the taxi number on it and away you go.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM

i have just the guy for you:

[email protected]

i have used him often and he charges a flat rate per hour...he drives a standard yellow and green taxi which he keeps very clean...

he is a young family man that speaks fair english...

he has many customers that he does this for...

he used to staition himself outside the marriott but now waits outside the peninsula for jobs...

very reliable...
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:43 AM

I like the advice on just going to a hotel and getting a taxi back; or hiring a local car service for the day.

I mostly wanted to comment on your post that you need to be at the airport "3 hours before your flight". If you are on a layover, and your bags are already checked through and you already have your boarding passes for your onward flight, you DO NOT have to be at the airport 3 hours prior to your flight. You only leave to need enough time to get through Immigration and get out to your gate. I would say an hour is fine, at most 1.5 hours if you want to be a little bit conservative. The 3 hour rule only applies to passengers originating in Bangkok, not transit passengers like you.

You should of course already have your boarding pass for your onward flight before you leave the airport for the day. If youre originating airline won't give you one, you will have to do this at Bangkok airport at a transfer counter within the depature area (i.e. before you go through Immigratin to get out in Bangkok for the day). The lines at the transfer counters in Bangkok can be long, and you don't want to mess with this on your way back. Your baggage should already have been checked all the way through to your destination by your originating airline, there should be no need for you to collect baggage and re-check it in Bangkok, you are only in transit.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Once again- thanks for the great suggestions- ldtc2
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Trust me, you don't want to drive a rental car in Bangkok.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

There is NO WAY I would drive in BKK ... but thanks for posting
ldtc2