Cambodia - need help with Plan B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family trip at Christmas is to start in Phnom Penh, continue to Siem Reap and finish off in Thailand. We hope to salvage the trip and stay in Cambodia only. We fly home on Jan. 6 from Bangkok. We are hoping we can get our flight changed to a Phnom Penh departure. After Siem Reap, we will have 10 days for the rest of Cambodia. We would like to go to Sihanoukville. Any suggestions for the rest of the time or is there enough in Sihanoukville to keep us busy. We hope to dive and snorkel there. My sons are 19 and 21 and we are not a sit-around-the-pool type family. I'm hoping it is not too late to get accommodations.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I would be very surprised if the situation wasn't resolved by Christmas. Personally, I wouldn't change plans at this point, but you have to do what you think is best.

If you do want to stay in Cambodia, with that much time, you might look at spending some time getting to Sihanoukville. Maybe drive down to Kampot, overnight on Rabbit Island if you don't mind roughing it, take in Bokor mountain, then move on along the coast to Sihanoukville.

How much time are you spending in Siem Reap? You could also spend more time there and take in some of the outlying places.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I would make a plan B, but you may well be able to carry out your original plans.

As Michael asks, how much time do you have in Siem Reap? There is so much to do and see there, you could easily spend a week or two. We spent a week and could have used more time.

While in Siem Reap, consider spending a day (or more at a school) though the Ponheary Ly foundation. www.theplf/org That would be an unforgettable experience for all of you.

Also, you aren't confined to Cambodia. There are certainly neighboring countries that are easy to visit. Consider both laos and VN as options, but choose just one other country.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Calgail~I agree with Kathie. Right now I am doing a little bit of reading about the history of Cambodia. The website that she mentions is worthwhile. If you can, talk to them about their guest house. Then you can report back to us who want to go there, how your experience was. I am so excited for you.

The website seems very powerful to me. I think more Americans need to know about this. Well, most of the world needs to continue to learn from eachother. Go, and let us know how it is!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM

oops - I did the link wrong

www.theplf.org
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Our original plans are to spend 4 full days in Siem Reap so we could extend our stay there. We'll look into spending a day at the school. Has anyone been to Battambang? I'll check out Kampot as well. In the meantime, we'll keep watching events unfold in Thailand.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM

I enjoyed my stay in Battambang, mainly because of the attention of a young man named Mr. Kim who took me out to the ride the bamboo trains, and have a look at the countryside and temples outside the city.

The boat trip from there to Siem Reap is adventurous as well, and beautiful, as long as the water is not too low when you're going.

Sihanoukville is also worth going to, though a long-ish journey from Siem Reap. There was talk of BA starting flights from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville, but I haven't heard whether that is on line yet.

There are few unspoiled beaches like the Cambodian coast, but it won't last. Go now.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM

If you do decide to spent all your time in Cambodia then I might suggest the following itinerary. It would probably mean changing the hotel dates in Siem Reap if you can.

After a day or two in Phnom Penh, take a bus or taxi to Battambang. The road is good and the a/c bus takes around 5hrs ($6) and the taxi 4hrs, costing around $50. Since there are four of you a van is would be more comfortable but will cost extra. There is not much to see in the town but interesting places outside. Don’t miss riding on the Bamboo Train. Two days is enough time here. There is a new hotel, Stung Sangke Hotel, which appears to be quite nice and even has a pool (around $50).

From here go to Siem Reap by small boat. It's a picturesque 6 hour journey up the Sangker River and across the Tonle Sap Lake. Water levels should be fine in December.

If you are not really into temples, then 3 days are sufficient with a extra day to visit the floating village of Kompong Phluk or Kompong Khleang.

Bus or taxi back to PP, overnight and continue by taxi to Kep/Kampot for a few days. Visit Rabbit Island for a nice beach day and arrange for a tour up Bokar Mountain if possible.

On to Sihanoukville by taxi, and spend the rest of your free days here. There are two up-market hotels here and a good choice of mid range places. Visit the islands for some scuba diving (if you are into this) and Ream National Park for wildlife.

Then back to PP by either bus or taxi for your plane home
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Just to add to Scotters comments: If you are really interested in the temples, you'll find that a week isn't enough. We spent a week there and could have used more time.

My rules for good travel planning:

1. Know thyself.

2. Know thy destination.

I don't know you, but can give you some resources to assess how much time you want to spend in Siem Reap. Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor is the best resource.

Take a look at our photos: www.marlandc.com

And, as I mentioned above, look at The PLF - another way to spend your time in Siem Reap.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I think the big issue here is two young, active sons aged 19 and 21 who may not yet be in the 'let's go see temples for five days' zone.

But they might have a lot of fun let off the parental leash in Pub Street or bombing around the ruins in their own tuk-tuk at their own pace too.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Bangkok Airways flights from Pattaya U-Tapao for Siem Reap, Luang Prabang etc
Bangkok Airways flight updates:
http://www.bangkokair.com/announceme...=extra_flights
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help. I think I've got a plan. We'll stick to the original schedule with our First day in Phnom Penh,
Bus to Siem Reap (have arranged for tickets already).
4 days in Siem Reap (as planned)
Boat or bus/taxi to Battambang
2 days Battambang
Bus back to Phnom Penh and stay overnight
Bus/taxi to Sihanoukville
4 days in Sihanokville (husband and son want to finish scuba certification with open water dives)
Back to Phnom Penh and fly to Bangkok for return flight via Hong Kong
(hopefully I can change the original Bangkok Air flight-Siem Reap - Bangkok)
Thanks Scotters - your itinerary was helpful.
and yes Dogster the boys do get a chance to ditch the parents on vacations (probably the last time we'll be taking them with us)

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM

Looks good Calgail. Do take the boat from SR to Battambang. It makes for a very interesting trip. Those that have taken it have really enjoyed it.