Business trip with hubby

Search

Business trip with hubby

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Business trip with hubby

I've been lucky enough to have been invited to Indonesia with my hubby in October. (Daughter has decided to stay at home with Gran!)
It'll be our first visit to Asia, with his conference in South Sulawesi. What can I expect? I know that Central Sulawesi is a no-no.
What day trips could we do together given time, and will my time on my own be confined to the hotel?
Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Your first time in Asia and you're going to South Sulawesi?! I don't know where to begin. First, please clarify what city or place are you going to --Makassar (Ujung Pandang)? I would consider Sulawesi reasonably safe, but whether you would feel comfortable venturing out alone would depend on your sense of adventure.

Indonesians are extremely hospitable and most likely your husband's business associates will line up someone to take you sightseeing and shopping. Just ask -- they'd be delighted to show off their country.

All of Sulawesi is undeveloped and it has some profoundly beautiful scenery and wonderfully complex arts, crafts and culture. Makassar is a medium sized town of moderate interest. Some historical sites, some interesting markets, but not especially compelling.

The real appeal of Sulawesi is outside of the towns. A visit to Tanah Toraja area of Central Sulawesi was one of the most fascinating trips I've ever taken, but it's hardly what I'd consider a day trip from South Sulawesi.

As an odd shaped island (like a pinwheel or the letter K) Sulawesi has hundreds of miles of coastline and some of the best coral reefs in the world. The Manado area in North Sulawesi is best know -- Bunaken and Kungkungan -- but there are fabulous reefs all over.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply marmot.
Yes, we'll be in Makassar. He said Indonesia, I thought beaches! I'm not paying, so can't complain. It was actually amazing that it coincides with school holidays (I'm a teacher), but means that we can't extend the trip. (I missed out on Miami in May - he had a fantastic time!!)
Only thing we could plan was to transit through Hong Kong - got an 8 hr lay over and have a friend based there. Then it's onto Jakarta where we'll be picked up by the company for onward flight to S. Sulawesi, so no idea how long we'll have in Jakarta.
FO advice not to go to central Sulawesi. Is there anywhere I should ask to be taken around the Makassar area if offered?
The last thing I want to do on my first (brief) visit to Asia is to sit around the hotel!!
Thanks again.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM

I've been to Makassar several times but always enroute to somewhere else, so I haven't explored it thoroughly. It's not a particularly dynamic or charming place, but if you're interested in history or culture it has a lot to offer. As a seaside city it has wonderful seafood, a long and lively esplanade, and some of the most spectacular sunsets in the world.

I'd just ask someone from your husband's organization, or a spouse thereof, to take you on a sightseeing tour. There are a lot of historical sites relating to the Dutch colonial period. I understand that several of the nearby islands are popular for day trips, but I'd be wary of any beach near an Indonesian city.

The harbor is home to the Sulawesi sailing ships which are astonishing. There are orchid gardens. I can't remember if there's a museum of note.
Try to do some research on the internet as the guidebooks are always woefully out of date.

The area of Central Sulawesi that's had a lot of sectarian conflict lately is near the town of Poso. Foreigners have not been targeted though.

Tanah Toraja would not be affected, nor would the beach/dive areas around Manado or anywhere else.

I would definitely try to get to Tanah Toraja, especially if you're interested in culture and art. You'd have to spend the night but it's well worth the effort.

Same goes for some of the offshore dive resorts. Even if you don't dive it's worth the trip for the scenery and the reefs. Wakatobi is supposed to be one of the best, but there are several similar setups in the area.
http://www.wakatobi.com/homepage.html

As I mentioned above, Sulawesi is home to some of the most diverse and profoundly beautiful reefs on the planet.

I'd certainly try to spend at least a couple of days outside of Makassar. You can easily fly to Bali (Denpasar)or to Yogyakarta in Central Java where you could visit the 8th Century temple of Borobudur.

I'd get out of Jakarta fast.

If it's really not possible at least try to extend your Hong Kong stay to overnight.

Well, maybe this visit will whet your appetite for more travel in Asia. Sulawesi is to my mind one of the most fascinating and beautiful spots on earth (I'm loaded with superlatives) but I'm afraid Makassar isn't the highlight.

As a side note, now you'll be able to explain the origin of the antimacassar.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Yes the antimacassar, one of my favourite historical items! Please get a collection of Somerset Maugham's short stories on the “South Sea Islands”, many of them are set in an around this area. That will prime the pump for you, so to speak. And of course Joseph Conrad’s Lord Jim and other stories.

I would ask to be taken to a local school (possible that some are still in session in August or are starting the new year, or even if they are closed are worth a look). It would probably be quite a contrast to your own classroom and school.

I have dived in areas west of there. I can say that where there is good diving, there is usually good snorkeling as well. So even if you don’t dive, take a boat trip for the snorkeling. Generally October is a very good month weather wise in terms of little rain so that’s good as well.

I agree that perhaps you can spend some time in Hong Kong with your friend and perhaps meet your husband later or go back to Hong Kong early? If he is going to be working the whole time, this may be more enjoyable for you anyway.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, both.
I'm afraid the schedule is set by the company with flights booked and paid for!
We fly out on the 27th Oct and home on 4th Nov - arriving Heathrow early morning to make the drive back to south wales for a training day that I cannot miss!!!
Looks like we may be spending a couple of days in Jakarta from what hubby told me last night? Why get out of there fast, marmot?
Culture and history definately our thing, but neither of us are strong swimmers - a glass bottomed boat is as far as I go?
The harbour, sunsets and orchids have got me excited. I know hubby is looking forward to the night sky looking very different in that part of the world.
Thanks for reading ideas cicerone - and duh! I hadn't thought of visiting a local school! Certainly something to share with my school on my return, maybe even set up some links?
Thank you both!