Search

Advice on Hong Kong Trip March?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Hong Kong Trip March?

Hi Everyone!
My wife, teenage daughter and I are considering a March 2007 Hong Kong trip. We have never been to Asia. We haven't purchased tickets yet, but have noted a recent drop in RT airfares from Orlando to the $1,050 area. We are looking at a Thursday 3/22 departure arriving Friday PM. Sightseeing Sat, Sun and Monday, return flight 1 PM Tuesday.
Where we need help/advice is on the basics: (1) Is this a good time of the year to go? (2) Is the length of the visit too short?
Any suggestions or advice on any aspect of the trip would be truly appreciated!!!!
Thanks so much! Al
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM

length of time is too short....can't you at least be there 5 days?? its expensive and a long ride for such a short time....there is plenty to do...you will be tired upon arrival as well and it may take you one full day to orient yourselves...

the salisbury YMCA is an excellent place to stay for a family and well located...

you will love it...i call it upscale ny...
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I wouldn't do it. You spend 20+ hours getting there and 20+ hours coming back. But you only get 3 full days, and I can guarantee you that you'll be pretty tired Saturday afternoon. So, basically you have 2.5 days. And not to count the time <b>after</b> you get back fighting jet lag.

Not worth the trouble.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM

I agree the time is too short. Add a few days, and you'll have a nice introduction to Hong Kong. I have taken a one week (leave on Saturday, return on Saturday) trip to Asia several times from the west coast, and it was worthwhile, but I wouldn't go for less.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'm going to disagree a bit. I don't think it's a bad idea.

Hong Kong is absolutely a perfect city for a first visit to Asia (incredibly easy transportation, English widely spoken), and it's compact enough so that 3+ days gives at least a decent flavor of the city. If nothing else, you'll have a good sense of whether the place appeals enough for another trip, and it will also give you a glimpse of Asia.

I'm assuming the OP understands that it's a long trip. A short trip like that might not be my first choice, but it appeals to the OP, I'd say go for it.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM

As for weather, March is a month where the dry and relatively cool winter changes to the humid and warmer spring. Probably similar to central Florida in October.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM

3 days is indeed enough for Hong Kong. But to fly 40+ hours for it, I don't think so.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Me, neither! It is a very, very long flight. I do not think it is at all worth it and I love Hong Kong. Go to London!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I also agree with others. Three days are too short, especially if you have never been to Asia before. They are so many new things to see and do. I went to HK 11 days for the first time in 1994. It's about enough to time to see most of HK.

Suggested by friends, I went in the middle of November when the weather is warm but not hot. I wore shorts and t-shirt every day.

Summer is the worse time because it's hot and humid and rain in August and September.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I agree with rizzuto. Clicking on the OP's name shows that he and his family have traveled through Europe. They want to sample an Asian city and they presumably have only a short amount of time.

This will be very rushed but it still has merit as long as they understand in advance that the travel will be extensive relative to the time on the ground and that they will be quite affected by jet lag.

If this is all the time that they can squeeze out though, I'd still go for it. Adding more time is highly desirable though. Even one day. The slightest departure delay would be very disappointing.

Good luck.

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM

To briefly answer your questions: (1) No (2) yes. I love Hong Kong, but would never advise anyone to spend all that money and fly all the way from the US just to see it alone.

I Live in Hong Kong. I also used to live in Switzerland. Let me say that flying to Asia for 3 days is HUGELY different than flying to Europe for 3 days, which is perfectly doable from the east coast of the US. The jet lag will hit you in much more significant way. It’s a 13-hour time difference. You need a few days to adjust. Getting back on that plane after 3 days here will not be a fun experience, esp as you can’t get any non-stops to Florida, you will have to layover somewhere.

I also think this is a big waste of time and money, in that you will be missing out on the rest of Asia which is so accessible from Hong Kong. Beijing and Bangkok are 2 hours away and you won’t see them, and you will have spent all that money.

March is just an OK time here, it tends to be rainy and warmish and quite humid and often foggy (sorry I don’t think it is anything like Florida in October other than the rain). Your trip is the weekend before the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens, when it traditionally rains the entire time, so take that for what it is worth. It’s not as hot as it will be later, but its not the wonderful dry, sunny, winter weather you will find from late October through early February either. That is one of the reasons you are getting the good fares.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Did a similar length trip this fall from the East Coast and glad we did.

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

These responses are incredibly helpful! Thank you!!!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM

3 Days is simplily too short. If you visit HK, the best time is after Nov and before Apr. Before Nov, it is too hot. After Apr, it will be raining season!