Burma...crazy or not?

Search

Burma...crazy or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burma...crazy or not?

Thanks everyone for the feedback re: visiting Myanmar. Wondering if anyone has been there recently. Getting mixed feedback from various sources re: the military regime. How dangerous is it to travel there. Any insights out there? Much appreciation!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Check Lonely Planet's Thorntree also. They have lots of regular visitors posting on their bulletin board.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Did you read about the coup in Burma last week? I posted the news story from cnn on this board last week, do a search and you'll find it.

There is no question that Burma has one of the most repressive regimes in the world. They have had a consistent policy that has supressed dissent, to the point where the lawfully elected democratic leader was captured and imprisioned after the election many years ago (Ang San Sui Kyi). After many years of imprisonment and house arrest, they appeared to be making progress in the sense that they released ASSK, though kept her on a "short leash." In May of last year, ASSK and her entourage were ambushed, ASSK was wounded and abducted and a number of her followers (between 8 and 80) were killed. She has been under house arrest since then. Last week the prime minister was overthrown, and the man responsibe for the ambush and abduction of ASSK was made the new prime minister.

The military junta in Burma has murdered many minority tribe members and has basically used many of them as slave labor in their mines. They often "pay" these slaves in heroin, and the rates of AIDS and others illnesses among these people is catastrophic. Clearly, the government sees them as expendable.

However, if the question is whether you, as a visitor, are at risk, the answer is probably not. As long as you don't enter areas that are forbidden or take photos that are forbidden or distribute "subversive literature" you'll be fine. There is greater danger to the locals you talk with if you are perceived as asking political questions, etc.

There is much disagreement about whether people "shoukd" visit Burma. ASSK's democratic party has asked that people not visit, as visitors dollars prop up the military junta. Others say people should visit to provide contact with the outside world and encouragement to the Burmese.

The question really isn't whether it's "crazy"to visit Burma, as it's a very safe place for visitors, but what your conscience says about the impact of your visit. I don't think anyone can answer for you. Some people opt to visit, some opt not to. Inform yourself of the issues so you can make a conscientious decision for yourself.

You may be interested in the NLD's website www.freeburma.org
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM

They just had a regime change in Burma so I wouldn't go for a while. Thai army is reinforcing troops along the Thai - Burma border just in case of any trouble.

Also, if you're from a country that doesn't have any diplomatic representative or embassy(consulate) I wouldn't go there in case you get in trouble and need help.

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Kathie is right on. You'll be safe unless you try to do something illegal. But you need to make sure you don't put any of the Burmese (or Shans or Karens etc) at risk.

As to going "morally" -- you do need to make your own decision. There are strong reasons for going and also strong reasons not to go. I spent two years thinking and reading about it before I made a decision and it's a decision I am very glad I made.