jan.in krabi..AC needed

Oct 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

jan.in krabi..AC needed

spending time in san and sea resort for a few days mid jan.2005...the ac units seemed almost double compared to fan units...is ac needed in this area that time of year,i would like to be comfortable....thanks
Oct 25th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Unless you are well well hardened to a tropical climate you will certainly need AC
Oct 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Perhaps I am "well-hardened" (I've lived in Southeast Asia for 4 years and Hawaii before that for 13). For me, however, January is one of the coolest months of the year in the Thai islands (temperature wise), and I find the evenings downright chilly. Please factor this into your considerations to spend twice as much as "fan only" for A/C. A lot depends on whether or not you can get a room with screens and an ocean breeze. The Thais have a propensity for building bungalows facing SIDEWAYS to the ocean. (Go figure!) I'm originally from New England and have no problem getting by year round in the Thai islands without A/C. Moreover, if I need to chill out in the heat of the afternoon sun, I just hop into an Internet cafe for an hour or two becasue they are usually famous for sub-zero temps, after which the warm outside air actually feels refreshing. Enjoy.
Oct 25th, 2004, 07:57 PM

its thailand stupid you need a/c !!!!!
hardened or not....
Oct 26th, 2004, 03:17 AM
CFW

Steve, You should check out the temperatures on weather.com and see for yourself. It is quite hot in Krabi that time of year and if you're like most people you will probably need/want ac.

Bob, Sorry we're all not as smart as you. "It's Thailand stupid." Actually, in Chiang Mai temperatures get down to 50s F at night.
Oct 26th, 2004, 05:58 AM

I have stayed in beach hotels in the Philippines, Malaysia and Bali without air-conditioning. With a fan it is doable and not really a hardship, IMO. The sea breezes do help, and it is quite pleasant to hear the waves rolling in at night. (I also live in Switzerland now where virtually no homes have air con and you do get used to sleeping in 90 plus weather without any ocean breezes.) I guess it would also depend on whether you mind sweating a bit during the night and perhaps waking up from time to time. If you are the kind if person who is a light sleeper and is cranky if you can?t get in a good solid undisturbed 8 hours, you might prefer air conditioning.

If you go no air-con, make sure the hotel either has screens on the windows or has mosquito nets.

You might book a non air-con room and then upgrade later if you decide you really need the air-conditioned (subject to availability).
Oct 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM

cfw---as usual you take me literally....i ment it as a joke...
it may be doable without a/c but you are on vacation and want to be comfortable especially when sleeping...io have always found the need for a/c in CM as well....

Search this Thread