If only, a certain lady............

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

''If only'', is a phrase that I try not to use. It's kind of negative!!

But over the last couple of weeks, 'if only Aung San Suu Kyi was running the country' keeps popping in to my mind.
The current news from the Far East is depressing, to say the least. Natural disasters on a huge scale.

China, it seems are making a real effort.

Burma, on the other hand (at least the junta) appears to be oblivious to the needs of the people. So much suffering that could be eased.
Do the lives of these people mean so little that we do nothing? Clearly, that is the case.

Gloria has posted info about giving direct aid. More info of this type is needed.

I very much wish to help the people of Burma, but, with a government who refuses help, even in these dire circumstances, I feel completely and utterly useless!!!

Ideas please!
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM

According to their websites, both Save the Children and Doctors without Borders, although mainstream-type charities, say they are on the ground in Myanmar. What about them?
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Throwing them out of the UN would be a good first start...

Perhaps a coalition (that does not include the US) could do a helicopter humanitarian aid mission - yes, an invasion - perhaps one of the European countries could lead. Otherwise we are just wasting our time with small meaningless efforts. Gloria has some wonderful ideas and contacts but not even close to what is needed to help these people.

China knows they have to do something in their own country as they are on the international radar on account of the Olympics - I seriously wonder whether they would be anywhere near as open if that wasn't the case. Very doubtful that Burma will ever host an Olympics much less participate.

I too am very frustrated - am hoping that this will finally be the impetus for the people of Myanmar to overthrow their evil government.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Mara - nothing wrong with mainstream type charities - Doctors without Borders is one of the best and has had feet on the ground in Burma even before the recent tragedy. Not sure that they are really being allowed to proceed much further than Yangon - we can only hope that the supplies they are bringing in are getting to the Irrawaddy Delta.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM

I read that the doctors from doctors without borders have been made to restrict their work. They are a fabulous agency but in terms of burma the only ones whom I would give money to are the burmese ones since they have a better chance of going around the government.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM

I also want to disagree with Craig (whom I usually agree )with saying "we are just wasting our time with small meaningless efforts." If the money we send feeds one person I don't consider that meaningless. I got photos today from Nyi Nyi showing he and his friends and family providing food for 1500 people with the money I sent over last week. I don't consider that meaningless. We can't save the world or even the country but we can help some individuals and that means a LOT in my book. It also shows those people that there are people who care about them.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Sorry, Gloria it is my nature to think big and I see the situation over there as pretty hopeless right now. I do not know the people that you know personally but I do very much appreciate what you are doing - I hope that the people you are helping will get the message out that it is time for change in Myanmar.