BOSTON 2009 GTG OCTOBER 10, 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plans have finally been made for our 2009 GTG....this time we will mix urban with suburban venues......the actual GTG will be in Newton, MA and other venues will be more urban in nature....

friday nite, Oct 9, we will gather at Punjab Restaurant at 7PM. the restaurant is located at 473 Massachusetts Avenue in Arlington, MA. this is at the junction of rt 60 and mass ave... there is plenty of parking beside and in back of the restaurant in free public lots...
andy,beth, karen and i eat here frequently and the food is fabulous!!!

as with all our venues we will require cash for payment...no credit cards....drinks will be kept seperate of the food bills.....

the main part of our weekend will be the GTG itself held in the BOKX 109 american prime restaurant within the Indigo Hotel, 399 Grove Street, Newton, MA.... there is plenty of free parking under the hotel. the hotel is located at the junction of grove street and rte 128 (95), just south of the intersection with the mass pike (rte 90)... grove street has its own exit.... the hotel is adjacent to the riverside station terminus of the MBTA (green line)... as before we will gather about 11AM for chat with luncheon served about 1PM....karen has worked out a simple buffet lucheon which we hope will be well received and tolerated by all (soup, chicken caesar salad, pasta dish, dessert, coffee and tea served with dessert).... cash bar.... there will be plenty of room to mingle and converse prior to lunch.....the lunch cost will be about $30 inclusive.... cash only...

the hotel has rooms available (expensive), but as in the past i think we will use a summerfield suites (hyatt) for our hqtrs---the waltham summerfield... similar rates to burlington.... other hotels in the area are: newton marriott; sheraton needham; westin waltham; courtyard waltham; wyndham waltham; residence inn dedham and norwood; sheraton newton (not good hotel); and all the boston and cambridge hotels (sonesta, le meridien, res inn, marriott, inn at harvard, charles hotel, wyndham suites, hyatt to name a few)...

saturday (10-10) nite will be GPANDA nite......relax, no speedos allowed.... we will return at 7PM again to the similan restaurant 145 first street in cambridge, MA.... this is some of the best thai food outside of thailand..... this will be a time for fun and laughter....we will eat family style as in the past and will also split the bill accordingly.....cash bar.....

if there is interest we will host or arrange a sunday brunch/breakfast.....

please indicate your interest here, with a return email address, or on my fodors e address: [email protected]

looking forward to seeing everyone again and i have already heard from some newbies who will plan to attend....

we had a fabulous time last month at the LA GTG and we don't want boston to be out shown by them.....

we hope to put pressure on fodors to send katie to our GTG.... she is fun and interesting and i think everyone would love meeting her....

bob and andy (karen and beth)
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

no interest....we will cancel it then
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM

ok robert, no need to pout. i'm interested, but can't go, but interested. give me all the details of what i'm going to miss.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM

I will check my calendar and see if I'm available. I'll get the suburban visa when It seems unavoidable. Go Similans.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM

will maybe attend some of the seminars/whatever, though harboring concerns about event creep.

is the indigo hotel actually indigo?

hey, if any of you cheapskates are miauing about the $30, shut up and pay up. You're forking out the cash for the hotel meeting space and the questionable company, not the food. Which will probably stink, but so what. i was always creeped out by the place in cambridge, because you had all those weirdly idiot-savant MIT people wandering the streets. They could explain quantum physics without batting an eye, but had no clue where the Hotel@MIT/Meridien was when they were half a block away.

speaking of confused, how's it going, Bob. the indigo isn't terribly expensive on Fri/Sat nights, it's only during the week when it's a fortune. for those whose memories are better than mine, this hotel used to be the Holiday Inn. It's now (as it was then) part of the IC group, for you point-earners/spenders.

as i was born and reared in Newton, I should have some info about the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the hotel is in the Auburndale/Lower Falls area, mostly a goyishe section, so I'm not well informed. However, if you go over to Barry's Village Deli in Waban, about a mile or two up Beacon St, you can get an OK (but hardly great) corned beef sandwich.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM

I'm..uh...gee, I have something on Friday the 9th, what is it now? Oh, yeah, return engagement (by popular acclaim) at the renowned Dana Farber Cancer Institute! So I do believe I'll be there, Mr. Kimball, and I thank you once again for inviting hicks from the Midwest like myself to attend, even if Panda will be there, proclaiming that Cambridge is the center of the universe, etc., blah-blah-blah.

BC
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM

You can count me in. My better half just accepted a pretty big job offer that will probably keep him in indentured servitude through the next year...so as of right now, I'm flying solo.

But I'll be there.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

don---before it was a holiday inn it was a howard johnsons or some other billerica type hotel....karen and i had a tour a month ago and they have done wonders with the old place...
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Bob, you know that Cheryl and I would love to come, but it is unclear whether we can make it. Right now we are so preoccupied with our remodeling that we haven't even made plans for our SE Asia trip yet! We have our tickets in and out of Bangkok, more arrangements yet to be made.

Both the Honolulu and Boston gtgs are on our radar.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Let's see, Bob has booked us at a former Holiday Inn/ Howard Johnsons. Can't wait. Will there be car hops? It's scary that Don is such an expert. Kathie, we hope you can come. Cambridge awaits you and Cheryl. Filmwill, not bringing that NC B-ball fan is a disappointment, but it will keep me from listening to his crowing.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM

<i>Adventure car hop is the place to go
For food that's always right;
Adventure's food is always just so,
You'll relish every bite.
Out on Route One in Saugus,
Come dressed just as you are;
Adventure where the service is great,
And you never get out of your car</i>
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

what are the dittys about newton?
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Don-you always amaze me with the breadth of your "knowledge". The ditty was great. Did Adventure have car hops on roller skates?
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM

No roller skates for the Adventure girls, sorry.

They were the major sponsor of the Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg Night Train radio show on WMEX, 1510 on your radio dial. I believe Arnie went on to be a radio DJ in NYC for awhile, for any of you fellow geezers from Gotham.

Sorry, no Newton jingles. (<i>Isaac, Isaac, he's our man; If he can't do it, no one can!</i> ?)
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM

We look forward to the GTG but just need to sort out October travel plans to China before knowing our availability.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM

How about a Newton L:imerick?

There once was a man of Gravity
Whose universe had no naivite.
But Einstein did find
Isaac was behind
And now he's Duke of depravity.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM

if lcuy goes i might join her.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Lcuy is always in attendance at the Boston GTG's. We expect her again, you too Nannabee.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Hi Gpanda:
I know lcuy's hard to keep up with!
I hear they have a great ball team in Boston. Should I wear my husband's STL cardinal jacket - just to stand out in a crowd of course.
I of course, will be coming for the food!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Mary Alice, where are you headed in China, or are you still working that out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -