Borneo???

Feb 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Borneo???

Hi
We are considering Borneo for a holiday in March 2005. We are looking at the Shangri la Tanjung Aru & Rasa Ria hotels. Our criteria arebr /> Access to a beach with swimming
Local restaurants/shops ideally within walking distance
We don't like over-developed places but we don't like isolation either!! We have been to Langkawi and Bophut in Ko Samui and loved them both. Would either of these hotels meet this? If not alternative suggestions much appreciated!
Thanks a lot
Cathy
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Hi Cathy,
Hopefully i should be able to answer your question in about 2 months time.My husband and i are off to KL,Penang and Borneo 4 weeks today,staying for a month.We have travelled around Thailand ,and also love Koh samui[stayed at chaweng noi beach]. We stayed on Langkawi last year,had a really great time ,lovely island.In Borneo we are staying at the
Tanjung aru,it has a small beach,and the islands are only 10 mins on a boat. We thought the Rasa ria looked too far out,although we will visit it ,as there is a shuttle bus from the tanjung .
sue
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Cathy,

As you've seen, I've been asking similar questions and not really getting many answers here.

We are going to KL and Borneo this April and were also torn between the 2 Shangri-La hotels. In the end we decided on the Rasa Ria, mainly because of the conservation centre.

The Tanjung Aru is certainly much closer to the city of Kota Kinabalu, although I'm not sure if it's within walking distance. The Rasa Ria's nearest town is Tuaran (about 10 minutes taxi ride), and although it's fairly small, I've done a lot of digging around and found out that it has a market,shops and banks, so I think we'll spend some time there and splash out on the longer taxi ride into KK for one or two evenings out.

Most of the guide books say car hire is very expensive in Sabah, but I suppose that depends what you class as expensive - typical rate is RM150 - 250 per day depending on the type of car. That certainly doesn't sound expensive to me and we plan to hire a car for a few days to get out and about.

BTW we went to Langkawi in 2001 and loved it so much that we wanted to see more of Malaysia and that was the reason we decided to visit Borneo this year.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for this! Would you mind updating the site when you have been please?
Car hire sounds worthwhile and I agree its not too expensive. We hired a car in Langkawi and Ko Samui and it really helped make the most of our time. Have a great holiday!!
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Cathy,

To save us both digging through old posts, I'll email if you want.

I don't post my "real" email address on this board any more (and don't expect you to either) - I did for the first couple of years I posted here and got so inundated with spam and junk that I stopped posting it. But I set up a "dedicated" one when Fodors brought in registration. It's [email protected]

If you email me at that address, I'll write and update you when I get home at the end of April