Notices

books or movies set in India

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:53 PM
chris

books or movies set in India

I would appreciate some titles of books or movies set in India. Travelling in fall.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:00 PM
Reader

The Far Pavilions.

Talwar.

Taj.

Zemindar

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:26 PM
Carrie

Movies: A passage to India
Heat and Dust
City of Joy
Monsoon Wedding

Books: Midnight Children
The god of small things
A passage to India

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:17 PM
John G

India's greatest film maker was Satyajit Ray. You can rent many of his films at Blockbuster (they are in the Foreign Film section). His best-known films are the Apu Trilogy. These simple allegories, filmed in b/w, are so beautiful, they will have you longing for India.

I read "A Fine Balance," by Rohinton Misty, which tells the story of a Parsi woman in a seaside city in India during the 1975 State of Emergy instituted by Indira Ghandi. It was a joy to read.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Jen

I second the vote for "A Fine Balance" - an amazing book. Also read Mistry's "Such a Long Journey" (I think that was the title) - not AS good, but still good.

Bollywood movies? Gosh, they're on TV here 24-7... make me laugh my head off, all that violent dancing and breaking into song every three minutes...!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Arabella

*Lagaan [nomminated for an Oscar]
* Kubhi Kushi Kubhi Gham-It is a long movie but god are the songs good, the story good, and the actors- very nice to look at!
*Yaadein

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:19 AM
arabella

*all those I listed were movies
Arabella

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:22 PM
vipsha

The Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Leheri
East into Upper East by Ruth Prawer Jhabwala

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:48 PM
ryan

"Ghandi" definately needs to be on the list of movies.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Deepa

Ryan, I'm sure you mean "Gandhi". Another movie I saw recently, a comedy, is called 'Bollywood Calling'. Its primarily in english with a bit of the Indian languages and is about a small time hollywood actor who is quite destitute and is forced to take on a role in an Indian movie and spends a few months there. Excellent film.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Tom Stephens

Cobra Road by Trevor Fishlock and India:A wounded Civilization by V.S. naipaul are good.Not novels but enlightening.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Elizabeth

(some repeats)
BOOKS
The Jewel in the Crown Paul Scott
(also made into a BBC TV series, wonderful, maybe available on tape)(really, try to see this)

Passage to India E.M. Forster

MOVIES

Shakespeare Wallah (an early Merchant-Ivory movie)

Bombay Talkie (ditto)

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
jedi

Hey Chris, i was backpacking in india for 3 months last summer. I went from kashmir to kerala. It was great. Am sure u'll have fun. As far as the movies go, they don't give u much of a vision on what u are gonna encounter when u land there. For the books, the best bet is lonely planet guide.

If u really want to see an indian movie, give a visit to ur local indian store, they have a bunch of bollywood movies u can select from.

If u need anything specific do drop in an email at [email protected]

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Lucy

Nothing better explains the Raj and the legacy left by it than Paul Scott's Raj Quartet, which begins with The Jewel in the Crown. British Television, either BBC or Granada also produced an excellent dramatisation of it, which is available in the US on Video. Scott's last book, Staying On, deals with the post Raj period, is also excellent, and was also dramatised and is on video. Midnight's Children is excellent in tandem with these, for movies, anything by Sanjit Ray. I also loved reading The Snow Leopard by Matthiesen while I was there, but that is the about the Himalaya, where you might not be going.
Have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Deepa

I think Lucy above meant 'movies by Satyajit Ray'.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:11 AM
Citizen

A few movies:

Salaam Bombay
Bandit Queen
The Warrior

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
readthis

Not sure if you are looking for fiction novels or non-fiction travelogues. There is one that I found quite interesting. It is called India Unveiled. This deals more with rural India than contemporary one but it is interesting nonetheless.