Notices

Itinerary Help - Delhi or Varanasi

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Julie

Itinerary Help - Delhi or Varanasi

I'm planning a 8 day trip to India in mid June. I wish I had more time! I'm planning to spend 2 days in Jaipur, 1 day Bharatpur, 2 days Agra, and am depating whether or not to spend my remaining 2 days in Varanasi or Delhi. Which do you recommend? Varanasi or Delhi?

Many thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Penelope

VARANASI!! In my opinion, Varanasi (Benares) is the most fascinating place of all the many places in the world that I have visited. Stay at Clark's on the Mall or at a guest house along the river and wander the old town. Hire a boat before sunrise for a tour of the waterfront. You have to see it to believe it. P

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:44 PM
John G

If I had to chose between Delhi or Benares, I would chose Delhi. I think there is more to do and see in Delhi than Benares. I wouldn't miss Chandni Chowk market for anything, nor the Red Fort.

Benares in great if you want to take a boat ride down the Ganges. It is also a more "pleasant" atmosphere than Delhi.

What I can't understand is why, Julie, you are staying two days in Agra? Agra is a hellhole and I would just see the Taj Mahal and maybe the Amber Fort, then get out. I would then spend the remaining time in either Delhi or Jaipur.

You are making a big mistake going to the North of India in June. The heat will KILL you. I know, I was there in May and I was very ill.

Best wishes.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Julie

My other option is to spend the week on a beach in Goa - would the climate be better there in june?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Penelope

I stick by my recommendation of Varanasi. Delhi does have the Red Fort, the Jama Masjid, the nearly impassable lanes of the old city, Raj Ghat (M. Gandhi's cremation site), all the buildings put up by the British Raj in New Delhi, and lots of shopping, BUT it doesn't have the pilgrims, the religious ceremonies and old temples (the Nepalese temple is my favorite) along the river, or the sense of spirituality that comes from observing the amazing activity in the old city. As for two days in Agra, there are several worthwhile sites other than the Taj: Fatepur Sikri (20-30 miles out of town; half day trip by taxi) and, my favorite, Itimud-ud-Daulah, considered the forerunner of the Taj. There is also something to be said for building some leeway into your itinerary, in case of illness, travel difficulties, or the unforeseen. P

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Penelope

I forgot to say in my last message that I believe the monsoon, if on schedule, will have reached India by early June. It starts in the southwest (south of Goa) and moves north. I doubt that the beaches on Goa will be desirable at that time, but the rain will be refreshing in North India. P

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:00 PM
benarsi

hi Julie:
I am someone who has been born and brought up in Varanasi and thus I would definitely be more biased towards one of the oldest cities in India(Benaras). Delhi is a metropolitan and has a good mix of New and old (chandani chowk). Thus, by not going to Varanasi, all you will miss out is the fantastic view of "ghats" from the other side of river Ganges. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:54 PM
John G

Fatephur Sikri in June???? You must be kidding. I was there in mid-May and it was 117F in the shade. If you want to know what it is like to bake in a pizza oven, just visit Fatephur Sikri for 15 minutes in June.

Fatephur Sikri is a wonderful "city" to see, but I would only visit between October and March.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Penelope

I've been at Fatepur Sikri in June and "danced" across the courtyards because the stones were hot (visitors must remove shoes). I would still go in June, given the opportunity, and I'd hope for a rain shower that day. P

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:38 PM
John G

I never had to remove my shoes at Fatephur Sikri. Why would you??? It is not a mosque. Maybe, Pen, you are confusing it with the Taj Mahal?

You may want to visit Fathephur Sikri in June, but remember, heat stroke is very serious.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:33 AM
delhivaranasi

Varanasi if you interested in Spiritual sights and sounds and if you are interested in visiting one of the oldest cities. But delhi if you want to see the contradictions- chandni chowk and posh western style malls, ethic cuisine and mcdonalds, sari clad women covering every inch of their body and girls wearing micro-minis, conservative Indians and girls from rich families who would not mind having one-night stands.... The choice is yours.