Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Booking budget accomodation and trains on the spot, late October?

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
I'm wondering if it is practically possible to book budget accomodation on the spot.
It's really convinient to decide every day if you stay more in that city or go to the next.
I'm travelling to Japan very soon, I have booked nothing (!) except the flight to get there, and I'll tour around for 2 weeks. Perhaps it's not so clever?
My main targets will be Tokyo, Kyoto, Hirosima and some places around them, perhaps on day trips ex these cities.
I also hope it is possible to get train rides on the spot, using the JR rail pass, else I'll have a dead end!
You vote to go for it?
Thanks for helping!
Nikos
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Hi there!

In my experience, it's not too hard to get on a train to/from Kyoto and Hiroshima as we were able to book easily in April 2008 and June 2009. Some of the northern trains (the Akita Shinkansen) tend to book up fast.

Budget accomodation may be harder but others may have better advice on that.

Good luck!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM

I'm the type that books ahead of time....since you seem to want to stay in two places - Tokyo and Kyoto - and do day trips, why don't you try to find something before you leave such as from toyoko-inn.com. I wouldn't want to waste time looking for accommodation when I travel...

I took a number of trips with my JR Pass this April and mostly did not have a reserved seat as I did not know exactly what time I would be traveling from one place to another. There are quite a few unreserved cars on that line.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM

I second the idea of Toyoko Inn as a great budget hotel group. I stayed in one near Shinjuku station a few weeks ago and loved it. You get a clean modern, but small, room with Japanese breakfast included.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM

You won't have any trouble at all getting train rides. But get reserved seats (free with your JR Pass).

It certainly is easy enough booking a hotel (and paying in advance) at a travel agent in the JR station. Doesn't take long.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM

But if you don't book your lodging in advance then you need to have some flexibility (upward) in your budget.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Nikos - you do know you need to get the exchange order for the JR Pass before you get to Japan.....I'm saying this as you said you only booked the plane so far....
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

well, you worry me a little with the hotel thing,
for sure, your recomendations are the best strategy to be certain for a bed every night and my wallet not so empty because of surprises!
Thanks Mara for reminding, I'll do that before flying!
happy tarvels to all!
N.