1 week budget travel in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roommate and I are going to Japan for spring break at the end of March. It is our first time visiting Japan.

We are thinking of splitting our time between Tokyo and Kyoto: first 2 nights in Tokyo, next 4 in Kyoto, and last 2 in Tokyo. While in Kyoto and Tokyo, we'll probably make day trips to Himeiji, Nara and Kamakura.

Do you have any recommendations for budget hotels/hostels in Tokyo and Kyoto? We would like to save money but do not want to stay in sketchy places for 2 females. Do you recommend Andon Ryokan (http://www.andon.co.jp/home/index.html) or Kimi Ryokan (http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/index.html)?

With the above tentative itinerary, do you think we should buy JR passes? How much does it cost to go from Tokyo to Kyoto and back? The website on transportation system in Japan really confuses me!

Any tips on budget travel in Japan will be greatly appreciated. We are 2 college students with tight budgets. Thank you!

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM

A rail pass will serve you well. It will easily pay for itself if you just take one trip from Tokyo to Kyoto and back (Roundtrip fare on shinkansen is about 30,000 yen, 1 week pass just under that).

http://www.jnto.go.jp/ has a section on Welcome Inns, that are budget minded. Also, have a look through the other Japan posts here - recently there has been a lot of discussion.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Have you looked into the international youth hostel in Tokyo? I'm not sure of the rates, but 2 years ago it was about $40 per night.

It is on the 18th and 19th floors of a highrise situated right above a JR train station and a subway station (iidabashi, I think). If you have a rail pass you can use the JR trains for free, and they go to almost the same spots as the subway.

The neighborhood is very nice too; lots of little restaraunts and bars surround the building. Very safe and fun at night.

The rooms have 4 tatammi bunkbeds, a little table and wonderful views. There is a great bath and laundry machines in the restroom. The only downside is that it can get noisy if there are lots of school groups.

Budget tips: Eat at small noodle shops, curry shops or the restaraunts on the high floors of Department stores. The prices posted on the food models will prevent surprises. You can also get inexpensive, but tasty food in supermarkets, convenience stores (like circle K), and in the basements of department stores.

In kyoto, get the all day bus passes sold underneath Takashimaya Department store at the magazine stand.

The nice thing about Kyoto and Tokyo is that you don't have to spend a lot to amuse yourselves... The 'people watching' and wandering through markets and parks can keep you quite busy.

A fun area of Tokyo on the weekend is Harajuku. All the young people hang out here, and there are lots of funky, cheap stores.

One benefit of having a rail pass is that if you can literally jump a train if you want to. It makes it very easy also...just go to the counter and say "Himeji?" and they'll tell you the time and platform (nambah?) of the next train. Himeji and Nara have lots of trains going there, so you don't normally need advance reservations.

Have fun...my very first trip to Japan, Alone, 21 and when I didn't speak any japanese or have a clue where I was going, was one of my best!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. They are very helpful. We are going to get the rail passes now (originally, we were put off by the price). But you are right, having the passes will be much more conducive to exploring the cities.

Yeah, my roommate and I don't know any Japanese but we are very excited about the trip anyway.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Kyoto accomodations can be pricey. We recently stayed at the
Toyoko-Inn Shijo-Karasuma (one the advice of another Fodors poster) The one in Shijo-Karasuma is two stops by subway from Kyoto station, and 10-15 min walk to Kawaramachi and Gion. About 6,500 yen single, 8,500 yen twin (plus 5% tax). You can book online at www.toyoko-inn.com. We found the location excellent (close to shopping, reasonable places to eat) It seems that all the bus routes run along the street so it is easy to get around.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM

If you want to experience local life, make sure to visit the Nishiki Market in Kyoto. Along the 400m pathway, there are over 150 shops selling local food & fruit (both cooked and uncooked). That's why they called it Kitchen of Kyoto. The food is so fresh and local.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM

What about purchasing a JR pass once you're in Japan? Could you really get better prices that way instead of going through a US based vendor?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:34 PM

No. For one thing, the "JR Pass" that is being discussed here is the 1-week pass that can't be purchased in Japan. You have to buy it before you leave for Japan.

There are a couple of other types of passes, some of which can be purchased in Japan.

Read about the JR Passes here: www.japanrail.com
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:27 AM

To clarify things I was also reffering to the 1 week (7-day) pass as well. I thought this pass had to be picked up in Japan. So with that said, does it really make a difference when you buy it? Couldn't I purchase it with a credit card over the phone or the net from several independent vendors? If that's the case I could wait to get it once I'm in Japan right? Just in case I change my mind about needing it once I'm there. In addition, I thought I remember a Fodor member telling me that there were also some vendors in Japan that could sell them to you as long as you had a foreing passport... Maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM

You are wrong. Mainly because you are not doing your homework. Here is what the japanrail.com website says about the JR Pass:

Where exchange orders are sold

A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan.
You must purchase an Exchange Order from an authorized sales office or agent before you come to Japan.
Exchange Orders can be purchased from the following JR authorized sales offices and agents:
JTB, Nihon Ryoko, Kinki Nihon Tourist, Tokyu Kanko, JAL (only for sale to passengers on JAL Group flights), ANA, JALPAK, and their agents.

After you arrive in Japan, you turn in the Exchange Order to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at an applicable JR station that has a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office. (See "Stations with JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office&quot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:16 PM

while in tokyo, do the mt fuji trip. just got back and I was the only one on the whole tour. I had the guide and bus all to myself. can guarantee that but its down time for tourism. also, for a good laugh, go to the fish market and watch the tuna auction. you must be there by 5:15am to see the auction. but worth it. lastly, japan is not the place to vacation to save money. good luck. expect the price of beer to be 500 yen on the low end with an average of about 800 yen per bottle.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:01 AM

Regarding train passes, you have to be very PRECISE about the terminology.

There are many JR (fill in the blank) passes. Most of them are valid on one of the unrelated JR companies. They are described at the web site referenced by mrwunrfl. The one of interest to most traveller is:

JR pass,

which is valid ACROSS multiple JR company lines. While it is correct that you physically PICK up this pass only in Japan, you MUST have an EXCHANGE ORDER purchasable only OUTSIDE Japan. The simple answer to the question whether you can decide to buy this after you arrive in Japan is no, because of the way how this pass is sold.

Other VERY similar sounding passes such as, "JR West Sanyo Area Pass" can be purchased after arriving in Japan. These passes do not work across different Japan Rail company lines.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Our family stayed at the tour club in Kyoto in a room for 4. They also have shared rooms as well. It was cheap, convenient to the rail and run by very nice people. It was the only place where we easily found internet access as well.

They have a web site
http://www.kyotojp.com/
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM

hi,

i was at andon ryokan in march 04. da service was very unprofessional & pathetic. i was shocked to find my reservation undone even after i had it made a month earlier. & worst of it, i had even made a call 2 days earlier for my confirmation. da 2 front service men (yasu & michi) were very unapologetic about it & one of them was even rude to me. they are so lack of discipline. da whole terrible situation just completely ruined the image of dis pretty good looking ryokan. years of travelling, i was stunned to view a bad service especially coming from japanese. the area was quite unaccesible. u cud try to stay if ur main aim is to travel around ueno, akihabara, ginza or asakusa. tho, u shud b able to find better places elsewhere with quality service & spacious room. i did enjoy da free dvd library & private jacuzzi.
cheers,
su
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM

Hi Lowell05,

I'm thinking of doing a similar trip like you've just done -- 1 week at the end of May between Tokyo and Kyoto.

Please share your experiences! You can post your advice on this same thread?
Thanks!

JC
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

JC98,

Believe it or not, one month after the trip and my trip report is still very sketchy. School has been quite crazy after spring break. I'll try to have it done after this weekend, when classes are over. Sorry for the delay.