Bombing in Jakarta--Not Again!

Jul 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Bombing in Jakarta--Not Again!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090717/...sia_explosions

Looks like the Ritz Carlton--and the Marriott (again!)

This is insane! Certainly not going to help tourism for Indonesia--which was already reeling.

My thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones--and to the people of Indonesia who have to keep putting up with the destruction these attacks cause their livelihoods.
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Yup, it's happened again, and I just scheduled my next trip to Jakarta yesterday. Of course, even on company expenses, I don't stay at those places.
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. Not to be an alarmist at all...but I have to say it's a bit concerning that this keeps happening in Indonesia. Mostly because tourists keeps getting reassured that "security measures are in place at high-end hotels" and that sort of thing.

Apparently not enough security--or certainly not effective security. I think a lot of folks are lulled into a sense of security (myself included) that if we stay away from "touristy" younger/clubby kind of places that we're safe. Especially at the Ritz. Guess it goes to show that you're always at risk no matter where you go.

Again, normally I'm not an alarmist. I mean, I traveled to Bangkok immediately following the PAD "siege"...so I'm not normally put off by an isolated incident here or there. But it seems like Indonesia is a target (and a successful one at that) over and over and over again for terrorism.

Anyway, it's just really sad.
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM

One of my Bali-based tweeps was just saying that several of the 5-star hotels in Bali had just retrenched their sniffer dogs a couple months ago. Bet they're going to be back in a hurry.

I'm certainly not even thinking twice about my trip to Jakarta and Bali next month.
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Nor should you. (Nor could I ever afford to stay at the Ritz.) It's just a bit of a shocker that this happened again so quickly after the last attack.

This all said, I'm still supremely jealous of your upcoming trip.
Jul 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Since the car bombings of 2003 the Marriot and the Ritz (which are directly across the road from each other) have had very tight vehicle security. Initial rumors are that these were suicide bombs. Information is a little scanty at this point. Very, very discouraging for Jakarta and for the country. Right on the heels of the successfully peaceful election too.

We usually suggest that our clients stay at the Dharmawangsa -- a little off the beaten track and a beautiful hotel.
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM

So glad to see your post Marmot. I thought I remembered that you worked for Marriot and wanted to learn you were safe, so checked this board. Now I'm going to bed.
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Robbie. No, I don't work for Marriott or any hotel.
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
DAX

I woke up this morning at the Jakarta Grand Hyatt and saw the news coverage. There's no sense of panic or fear at the Hyatt but I worry about traffic to the airport as I'm flying out today. I actually was at the Ritz yesterday morning. The car search at the gate/entry was very strict. It must be an insider's job since the bomb was set inside the back up generator room and at the fancy restaurant that's not even open for breakfast. I wonder if they have a different entry for staff and delivery. Most of the victims are hotel staff members still wearing their ties and uniform suits. Among the 9 victims who died is a 60 year old New Zealander who died at the hospital. The Marriott is not letting the media in but supposedly they have more people died there since the bomb was inside the restaurant where they serve the buffet breakfast. People everywhere seem to be stunned and disappointed since they all thought they have gotten rid of the terrorist group in the last couple of years. This is definitely going to affect tourism in Indonesia.

Journey to the airport was interesting as the chauffeur told me there's a car explosion on the freeway entry toward the airport. Fortunately it was just a pick up truck that caught fire, not a car bomb. Just a few minutes later the chemical truck a couple cars ahead of us had an accident and was turned sideways. The first thing we were worried about was fire from the gas & chemical. Thankfully we were able to maneuver out of the way and drove away as we saw the wheels and axle were still turning. Can't imagine the traffic jam it would create behind us. Glad to be at the airport lounge now!
Jul 17th, 2009, 04:13 AM

The Indonesian police are saying that the attackers had been guests at one of the hotels. An unexploded bomb was found in a guest room on the 18th floor. Allegedly, that was used as a planning room. Photos show much damage in the hotel lobby. Very sad. The assumption is that it was JI, again. Much coverage over the past year or more has written them off and, simultaneously, the country has moved away from more conservative Islamist parties in the recent election.

This is the second time the Jakarta Marriott has been targeted. This will not affect a future return trip to Indonesia for us, but the fact that attacks continue, even if isolated, is very sobering.
Jul 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM

At lunch with a friend yesterday, he asked if I was concerned about going to Indonesia in September, given the history of bombings there. I shrugged him off, saying that stuff can happen anywhere (London, Madrid, NYC). And then I heard this news last night....
Gulp...unfortunately it's happened AGAIN in Indonesia.....
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:02 AM

It is really sad. At USA TODAY, we're actually looking for travelers to talk with us about whether or not they'd cancel their Indonesia travel plans because of the attacks. I'd love to talk with some of you about why (or why not) you'd still go. I can be contacted at [email protected].

Chris Gray Faust
Travel Assignment Editor
USA TODAY
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Chris, your email address isn't reachable.
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Hm..I just got an email from someone on Fodors. Maybe there's an extra period. Sorry about that!

In any case, try [email protected] again and if that doesn't work, [email protected]
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Gah! I can't type today! (haven't had coffee yet) [email protected]
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Gah! Why didn't I notice that extra .
Jul 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
DAX

It's true that they deactivated an active bomb that they found in room 1808 at the Marriott so they figured the bomber was a hotel guest. However they still don't have an idea how the bomber(s) got into the generator room and at the Airlangga restaurant at the Ritz Carlton.
The general reaction among the locals was total utter disappointment that it happened again as they've been hearing the buzz on how the government has been very successful in getting rid of the Jemaah Islam leaders & terrorists with the help of the British and American intelligence in the last couple of years.