Bombing in Bangkok--Again!

Sep 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Bombing in Bangkok--Again!

I am planning a trip to Thailand around Thanksgiving--now I am not sure if I have to cancel this trip!

-----
(From BangkokPost.com)

A bomb blew up while being disarmed next to the Army Survey Department just off Rajdamnoen Avenue Sunday night, injuring the two ordnance disposal officers at the scene.

No one claimed responsibility for the bomb which exploded the night before Gen Anupong Paochinda was set to replace army chief and coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratkalin as commander of the army.

The explosive was in a black cardboard box placed at a phone booth in front of a small soi between the Army headquarters and the Army's Survey Department.

The box was spotted by bystanders at the Rajdamneon Boxing Stadium across from the Army headquarters. After the explosion, another box was found 50 metres away from the first one.

After being informed, the bomb disposal unit rushed to the scene at around 9pm. But while inspecting the box, the bomb went off.

The explosion seriously damaged the right wrist of a bomb disposal officer and injured another in the chest but not seriously. Both were sent to Hua Chiew hospital.

The site had not yet been sealed off, with just barricades erected around it.

Sniffer dogs were then moved in to try to detect any other explosives at and near the scene.

Police and the army both were silent, and refused to comment about details of the attack or the possible motive of those involved.

At least three series of explosions of small bombs have hit Bangkok since a larger, murderous string of bombs last New Year's Eve across the city. There have been no arrests and no claims of responsibility in any of the bombings.

Nine bombs exploded in the Thai capital on New Year's Eve, killing three people and wounding more than 40.
Sep 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM

It would not deter me from visiting BKK. I'm due to visit the Maldives next week and there was a bomb which injured some tourists yesterday. I'm not cancelling.
Sep 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Bangkok is a huge city. All tehse bombs have been very small .The odds of you being anywhere near one of those bombs and being injured would be minute.

Sep 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM

IMO this bombing was not targeted at the general public or tourist. It was because, just my opinion, of a recent shuffle of generals in the Royal Thai army.
Sep 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM

This was close to a non-event here. It didn't even make the front page of either English newspaper.
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM

I live here in Bangkok. Didn't even know it happened. this sort of thing shouldn't really put you off coming here. i am based on sukhumvit Rd and have lived here now for two years, find the city to be very safe...
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM

I'm in Bangkok, on vacation, twice a year and was there Dec 2006/Jan 2007, for my usual 3 weeks, when the numerous bombs went off at different parts of the city all on the same day. I have a plane ticket and apartment reservation for this Dec/Jan and have no plans of cancelling. Happy Travels!
Oct 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM

Barkinpark: cute name, btw!

In September of 2006, I booked our airline tickets to BKK for February 2007. On that very day, the military staged it's most recent coup, and I freaked out, but didn't change our plans.

On Dec 31, the 8 bombs exploded in Bkk/CM, and again - I freaked out, but didn't change our plans.

Around that same time, a whole lot of "stuff" came out about problems with the new airport. I freaked out, but didn't change our plans.

I did the same as you - posted here looking for reassurance, which I got. It's so great to have posters who actually live in BKK to give an insider's perspective.

We went on our trip, had a wonderful time, and returned safely.

That's not to say things might be different when you're there, but bad things happen here at home too, so...I would go.

Peace and happy travels!

Cyn
Oct 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM

It's a really personal decision - we were scheduled to travel to Bangkok in mid January - soon after the New Year's Eve bombings.

One of the implications of that event was the Canadian Government declaring a tourist warning which invalidated our travel insurance - that was a big factor in our decision.

In the end we did travel to Bangkok (and loved it) but everyone's decision is personal
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM

There were bombings in Turkey before we went last year, We went ,we saw & loved it. Never felt unsafe-enjoy!!!
We fly out to Bangkok later on tonight-Chris
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM

there is a much bigger chance of you being hit by a car or dying in a car accident in your current city
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Bangkok is a huge city! A little bomb going off in New York City or London would not stop tourism to those places - why give up on Thailand?

Your have a greater chance of being run over by a bus than destroyed by a bomb!

Go for it!