Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bomb Threat on Thai Air Flight 794-Tuesday/10:46PM/L.A.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that there was a bomb threat, written on a mirror in the bathroom of Flight 794, Bangkok-L.A. and was found at 7:30PM, tonight. The flight landed at 8:00PM. That's a flight that many of us take regularly. The news will be coming on in 10 minutes, so I'll be watching.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Please let me know more when you hear. I flew that flight out on Aug 30 and will be returning on Thai air on Sept 22
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:31 AM

No bomb was found and the FBI and TSA are investigating.

It was probably just some fool with a sick sense of humor. Another possibility is somebody trying to damage Thai Airways' reputation.

Definitely unsettling.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Really feel sorry for the passengers. After that marathon flight, I'm sure they were all looking forward to a shower and bed, not an interrogation and luggage screening.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:49 AM

I feel sorry for the people who have to make connections and may miss their flight.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:10 AM

That's true. LAX is often a hub for other Stateside destinations. Being a native Southern Californian, I can get a little myopic!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM

I doubt anyone was trying to ruin their reputation--not that TG has some giant stakehold in the US and this was a prime target rife for the taking.

Likely just one of a slew of many incidents where an idiot (starved for attention) leaves a bomb threat on a napkin or in restrooms on an airplane. It's happened, unfortunately, many a time here.

The good news is they'll figure out who did it--and he/she will have a nice, long cozy stay in jail and a big, fat fine to pay for the inconvenience.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Is it the red shirts again? Guenmai, I'd be curious to know what you hear on the news. (hi!!! by the way... miss you)
Aloha from HNL (on my way to the big island in an hour or so)
Carol
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I just watched the news and it was said that it was a hoax. I also read that the note was written in very bad English. So, obviously not written by a native speaker unless, having written it in such bad English, was a way to throw the authorities off. But the authorities ought to be able to figure that out by the syntax and other means. I'll watch the news later today, as I need to work.

Have fun in Hawaii Carol. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM

<i>it was said that it was a hoax</i>

Except for the movies, has there ever been an airplane "bomb threat" that was <u>not</u> a hoax?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Perhaps this too cann be blamed on our missing Dogster and/or Hanuman? Everything else is their fault.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

As for bomb threats, and bombs, having been on a Pan Am flight that flew the same route as the one that went down over Lokerbie Scotland in the late 80s, although I like flying, it is still quite unnerving at times on planes, after having that experience.

The flight that I was on, coming back from Europe that Christmas, from visiting a dying friend, was about a week after the Pan Am flight went down and many grieving families were on my flight. I had cashed in my frequent flyer miles to sit in Business Class, but upon entering the plane was told that Business Class was designated for the families. So, I was assigned a seat in Economy Class. The plane was nearly empty in my section.

Upon arrival on the runway at JFK, I saw tons of cameras. It was then that I was informed, by someone, that some of the remains were also on the flight. I didn't know that when I first boarded the plane.

There was also a girl on my flight, whom after landing at JFK, I had to console as she informed me that all of the students on her exchange/student program, from her NY college, had been on the flight that went down. She said the only reason that she wasn't on it was that she had begged her parents to stay in Europe a little longer. She told me the story after she broke down crying at the luggage carrousel. I tried to console her and help her find her luggage. Then, I helped her find her parents, whom we found in the waiting crowds, and she basically collapsed into one of her parents' arms sobbing. She had been given tranquilizers to get her from Europe to JFK, but they were wearing off. After I got her settled, I then went on and caught my connecting flight home.

So, whenever I hear of "any" type of bomb threat, I take it seriously as it takes me decades back, and still makes the hair stand up on my arms. Plus, even though there was no written threat on the Pan Am flight, there was a bomb. And, all these decades later, with Scotland releasing the guy held responsible for the bombing, it was very upsetting. Happy Travels!