BKK Train Service Starts - Really

Dec 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

BKK Train Service Starts - Really

Just got back from a short trip to Phnom Penh - and took the new train service home. Well, past home really. They're only running the express service at the moment, so I had to go all the way to the main station at Makassan, then grab a cab back to my place. But at 69 Baht, it was the cheapest ride home, ever.

This is just the initial public test phase. They seem to be running the trains only on the express route, and apparently only in daylight hours. My 17:15 train was the last of the day.

The train was smooth and fast. I noted that we were passing all the cars on the motorway (which was not jammed). It only took about 15 minutes to get from the airport to the main station. Although it was the express route, they were using the city link (local) trains, which had precious little room for luggage. Hopefully the express trains have more places to put your suitcases.

While it's a good deal while it's free, once they start charging 150 Baht I'm not sure it's going to be worth it, unless you're staying at the Millenium, Sheraton Grande, Wesin or Grand Mercure. It will probably be like KL, where it's more a matter of speed and convenience rather than price.

Now that the train is in service, it presumably means the tunnel to the Novotel is also open. I'll have to check it out.
Dec 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM

we noticed not much happening on those tracks the last couple of weeks so this is good news, but if 2 or more people are arriving its almost certain to be cheaper and more convenient to take a taxi...
Dec 7th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Really? Thanks for the info.

And do let us know about the tunnel to the Novotel. This trip we didn't even try to walk it after last year's obstacle course through parking garages, etc.
Dec 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Exactly, which is just like KL. You don't take the train because it's cheaper, but because it's fast, easy and predictable. If you're staying at the Marriott Riverside, as you do, the train + taxi would probably add up to more than a taxi directly there, even for one.

The train will probably be more benefit for people like me, who pop off for a weekend, and so are traveling light, and can probably use the city link train rather than the express.
Dec 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM

i agree.....
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I was at the airport today and could only see ONE sign for the trains and that was on floor 1 at the top of the escalator to the train station!

anyone seen any other signs??
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks for this update. Although I don't ever travel "light" (lol) enough to use the new train line, it is good news to know that it is in service. It might actually be good for my early morning flights to Chiang Mai (when I'm empty handed) but not so good for my returns that same night with many bags!!!

Brad is on his way tomorrow, and will arrive on Wed night late. BTW, it is Nick's birthday on Thursday at the PL, should be a good party. My DH will be there for a short time, as he arrives in BKK on Thursday afternoon... a full week before I can get there (darn).

Carol
Dec 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Could this be translated into English? The original post indicates the writer took the train from PP home to Bkk. Later in the post, it sounds as if he took the train from the new airport, but that is not certain. Maybe this is kind of a high school clique in which the girls have an inside chat that is not meant for outsiders. If it is not, then it should read better.
Dec 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM

The OP is talking about the rail link between the airport and downtown Bangkok. It was being tested and open to the public for a week ending Dec/7 during certain hours. The official opening date is scheduled around April 2010 (or maybe later who knows).

As most people know there are no trains operating in Cambodia
Dec 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Perhaps if you weren't so rude, folks might be more willing to help "translate" the post. (As a side note: I think it's pretty apparent, if one knows anything about Thailand, what the OP is talking about.)

Try putting on your happy pants for a change--the grumpy/bitchy pair seem to be a bit too tight.

You sure you moved out of the country voluntarily?...or did a mob chase you out with a pitchfork?
Dec 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM

FW - HA HA HA and for you Merckk that means Filmwill - HA HA HA
Dec 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM

merckxxx does have a point, had to read that first post twice myself. The way it's written does make it appear to be about some train service from Phnom Penh...
Dec 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a train from PP actually require train tracks?
Dec 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM

How fast would the train have to travelled from PP to Makasan(Bangkok) if it only took 15 minutes as per the first post?
Dec 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Now, that's what I call a bullet train! Definitely not a part of Boston's MBTA.
Dec 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Hanuman, he did say "The train was smooth and fast"...

Dec 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Kathie - we are staying at the Novotel in January (booked a $60 room thanks to mango7's tip about the accor sale). Will lyk how the tunnel is.