BKK Hotel Questions

Search

BKK Hotel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK Hotel Questions

First, Thank you so much for your assistance and posts in my previous thread. The help and just having someone to "talk/forum/chat/whatever with) is a big help. OK team of intrepid planners, a few "new" questions for you:

1) Do you find people to congregate at hotels by age range or interests? (for examples is there a hotel where you mostly find kids, and one that is mostly settled adults or does it break along the lines of family hotels, "hippie" hotels, drunken degenerates hotels.)

2) Should I take a laptop? I have a small little 8 incher that is easy to carry.

3) If BKK is my hub, how far north can a travel on day trips?

4) Are there other islands (other than Phi Phi) that I should investigate, and should I spend any time in Phuket if I am thinking about another island?

Regards d
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Here are some answers for you.

1/. True for some hotels like the Oriental where I can pretty much predict the type of tourist who stay there as well as hotels like the Four Seasons and the Peninsula.
2/. Yes bring your laptop! The BKK airport should start free wi-fi service soon and there are a few places and hotels that offer free wi-fi in room or in the lobby.
3/. If you travel by car then I would say you can do a day trip up North to Ayudhaya easily. You could do a day trip using one of the low cost airlines to many places all over Thailand as well and it will only cost around 2,000 - 3,000 Baht for a return ticket.
4/. What are your interest for the islands? Beaches, diving, swimming?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Any hotel choice should be guided by your interests. On this forum, there is an ongoing debate whether the river or Sukhumvit is the best spot. The river is for those of us that enjoy relaxation and an oasis from the frenzy of BKK. Sukhumvit is for those who want to be in the midst of shopping sites. There are other choices. My suggestion is that you visualize how you want to spend your time in BKK and find a hotel within your budget that fascilitates your choice. You might look ate the websites and inquire about specific possibilities.

Note that the backpackers congregate around Khao Sarn Road.

Yes, bring your laptop.

Ayyudhaya is about as far north as you want to do in a day.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I agree, bring the laptop. (If for no other reason than to report back to your fellow fodorites everyday!!) That's what I do, pretty much everyday I'm on vacation. I report in with details on shopping and new market discoveries and friends and eats. I often get requests from fellow fodorites ... can I take at look at this hotel, or that restaurant, or bring back this purse or that souvenir...

I have done 4 1-day flight trips to Chiang Mai. Granted, there is probably no one else here who has done that!! I go to CM for the markets. I buy handmade crafty things. Since I have a pre-determined route (and the same driver everytime) I can manage to hit all my stops in one day if I leave Bangkok around 8 in the morning and return on the 9ish flight that same night. You probably would not enjoy this sort of Chiang Mai trip... haha!

My hotel (apartment hotel) has free wifi in the rooms as well as in the lobby. The location is soi 8 Sukhumvit. This place has been my home away from home when I'm in BKK for over 1 1/2 years now (6 trips staying at Adelphi Suites now ... or is it 7?) and I am returning there next week for yet another 10-night stay!

Some hotels are for the business people, there are some for the "hippy" types, backpacker types, some where you will see lots of families, etc. What atmosphere do you want?

Carol
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Since this is your first trip to Thailand, I'd suggest that if you want to see another area skip another beach and see something different. Somewhere in northern Thailand would be a good option if you want to stay in Thailand. There are easy and cheap flights to CHiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Think about what you want to do/see/experience and we can make recommendations to you.

As others have said, different hotels do have different atmosphere. I've traveled solo a fair amount. I stay in upper range hotels. One of my ways to meet other travelers is to stay on the Club floor of a hotel. Breakfast in the club and evening cocktails and canapes and often, dessert are included in your oom price. The Club atmosphere makes it easy to meet and talk with other travelers. In any case, see if there is a place where other travelers congregate - some hotel lobbies are like this with a bar or espresso stand in the lobby which encourages people to linger.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM

The upscale hotels tend to be around the river or on Sukhumvit.

The young party types tend to hang around Khao San & the Sukhumvit soi 11 area.

The older party types (like me) tend to stay around the Nana area.

Like every rule, there are exceptions.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

BradinBangkok: What is your defination of younger party types (30 and go till dawn) or (22 and never stop)

Kathie: I have never heard or sean "Club Level" mentioned. Does it go by another name.

Hanuman: My intrest in beaches was mentioned in my first post (yes a nublet mistake about not reposting the data) I am intrested in meeting people and swimming/snorkeling.

Gpanda: the ongoing debate I was reading is why I posted. Brad's posts have me looking at non-upscale areas.

I am looking at Adelphi Suites, but might be intrested in the Khao San & the Sukhumvit soi 11 area for at least a night.

I like the idea of staying one night in a high end "on the river" get rested night. Then moving inland.

Any suggestion on the Khao San & the Sukhumvit soi 11 area?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Sukhumvit soi 11 is located directly across from Sukhumvit soi 8, where the Adelphi is so conveniently located. The Adelphi is also a short walk from Nana, which Brad referenced. The sois (streets) that run off of Sukhumvit (which is a main road) are all numbered. The odd numbers are on one side of Suk, the even numbered sois are on the other side. Soi 8 and soi 11 just happen to intersect with Suk in the same place, and a handy place at that. The location of soi 8 and soi 11 is right at the base of the Nana Skytrain station. Nana is soi 4 Sukhumvit.

I have been to Bangkok 16 times (number 17 is coming up next week) and have never been to Khao San Rd, but I spend a good portion of my time along soi 8, 11, and sometimes soi 4, when I go to visit a couple of very good friends in that area.

The best people watching is on soi 4, IMO. I'm sure Brad would agree with that.

Do you happen to play pool? There are a number of very friendly bars with a pool table or two, where it is very easy to meet people (some locals, some expats). A number of these places are around Suk soi 4/11/and 8.

Carol (Brad is my grown son)
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Different hotel chains have different names for their Club level - for the Sheratons it's called Towers, for the Hyatts it's called the Regency Club. The Shangri-La has a whole wing that is their Club level. I haven't stayed ther, but it gets good reviews.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Check out the Marriott Resort and Spa- on the river- one of the best pools in BKK and its kid friendly- they have a play area for kids as I recall- many families stay there.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Given that you are a single guy traveling alone, the one place I'd recommend you avoid is the Marriott Resort and spa for just the reason Bill mentions. I consider it to be the most family-friendly of the river hotels and that's who it attracts. If you want an atmosphere with lots of kids playing in the pool, it's for you. if you are interested in more adult company, not for you.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM

I prefer the Silom area when in Bangkok. Any hotels close to Sala Deang sky train stop have plenty of restaurants close by including good street food, such as Soi Convent. Close access to the sky train is a huge plus and with connections to the modern subway, essential for independent travel around town.

Chook dee krub.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM

bring your laptop as it will be useful...keep it in your room safe however...

the big hotels are generally for marrieds and families over 30...

the party areas are for youngers somewhat or old hippie types---khoa san rd area---i think you would do better to stay elsewhere honestly... and yes the marriott is not for you...

look at majestic grande--well located for you--1 block to entertainment area....lots of places to stay on soi 11 also---the president complex...and many more...

you can fly to anyplace in thailand for a day as carol does, but most of us would want to spend a couple of nites in places---she goes primarily to shop...
by car you could probably drive 100 miles, but honestly there are only a few places you might want to go...
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM

btw, never start a new thread like this one....keep going on the old one...its way too confusing
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

rhkkmk, thanks for the tip. Every forum/board has their own protocol/best practice and knowing that is half the battle.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM

If you are interested in some of the little boutique places that tend to be on sois off of Sukhumvit, dogster is the expert on these.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM

also look at sawadee.com as it lists properties by street/location with associated prices... its very handy
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM

http://www.dreambkk.com/
http://www.s15hotel.com/
http://www.siamatsiam.com/
http://www.shanghai-inn.com/
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM

The early 20's crowd is mostly Thai and they tend to like R.C.A. Plaza. The tourists in this age group tend to be backpackers who hang out around Khao San Road.

Places like Q Bar and The Bed attract the 30ish tourists and Thais that like nice clubs.

Soi Nana attracts party types from every age, but the majority are older military types & petroleum engineers. I've drank with guys into their 80's on soi 4 (with much younger Thai girlfriends, of course.)
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM

>>>Soi Nana attracts party types from every age, but the majority are older military types & petroleum engineers. I've drank with guys into their 80's on soi 4 (with much younger Thai girlfriends, of course.)<<<

... (some of my beloved, fun-loving Scottish relatives, perchance? ... (no more than two, mind you.) ...

Well, to keep this breathless thread going, must enquire of the OP : how are you 'flying'? If it's SQ from SIN with those Girls, you're 'home free'. Check into the Peninsula, ring up my all-time cherished pre-mrs. m booker, 'Khun A', wait for that little knock on the door, on my all-time cherished __th floor, and : sweet dreams ... (maximum discretion, highly advised) ...

macintosh (robert)

... "Khun Robert! Welcome back to Bangkok!" ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -