BKK GTG Dec 19... who's game?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there will be several fodorites in the city on December 19. How about a small GTG somewhere.

Since I will have arrived very late the night before, I'd prefer something maybe in the mid to late afternoon rather than a dinner.

Any ideas?

Carol
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Uh oh, I hope we can make it. We fly in that day from Phuket (arriving at 4 PM) and have to get to our hotel and check in before we can do anything. I suspect, at that hour, we'll be lucky if we get to our hotel by 6.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Filmwill, I'm open for the 20th, if that is better. What do you think?

Carol
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM

That's a possibility, but that's the day we're doing the Floating Market + Fishing Village with Tong. Have a feeling that's going to be at least a 12 hour day. If we met later, and if we're not completely wrecked, that could certainly work.

I really hope we can all meet up--I know the timing isn't ideal, but it would be fun, even if for a few drinks.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Guess we should try for the 19th. I can stay awake... hopefully...

Now, for a place and time. If you are arriving back in BKK from Phuket, what time would you consider a possibility to be able to come to a GTG?

Carol
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I haven't been able to log on for a while but everything seems ok now.

Carol and Will if the 19th is not good for Carol and the 20th is not good for Will how about Sunday the 21st? A nice brunch somewhere would be perfect so let me know what days are good with you guys.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM

count me in.....

sorry gpanda just called and invited me to tea in cambridge on that day so i guess i will have to join him or no telling what he would write about me here....
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman,
I'm thinking Sunday is maybe the day Will heads home... or maybe it's his last day in Bangkok. I've just checked the fodors calendar, and the 21st is the last day with a note that filmwill is in Thailand. Hopefully he will post here.

I think I could manage anyone of the three days. Jetlagged or not! I hope guenmai will see this post and let us know what fits into her schedule as well.

I assume you have spoken to Brad by now?

Carol
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry--we've already begun our week-long move to the new house...so I'm not checking the boards as often (translation: twice a day as opposed to 15 times a day)

The 21st COULD work, but that's the day we catch our flight. Although, as Hanuman suggests, an early brunch could work.

Drinks on the 19th or brunch on the 21st. Sounds good.

We'd probably have to keep the location somwhere close to our hotel for timing sake on the 21st (staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit)

Maybe when I'm staying there, I'll figure out why the extra 'e' is in the name
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Either one will be fine. Should we see if guenmai replies in the next day or two before making a firm choice?

Carol
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM

how about the long table??

or the restaurant in sheraton grande--guen loves it...
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM

How about not telling Bob where you're going. He's going to be here in the states scaring his grandchildren for Christmas.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Bob, Long Table might not be ready for a group of fodorites... lol Maybe a "not so fancy" pizza at Via Vai on soi 8 (and right across from my home.. Adelphi). We can be as noisy/happy as can be. No one will mind at all.

Also on soi 8, the Thai place, Kinnaree. It has pleasant dining inside (although much more quiet and proper) and an outside bar.

Speaking of outside bars/dining, the Zanzibar on soi 11 is another place where we can dine/sip wine, and visit and not disturb anyone. This place has inside and outside dining options, plus a nice quiet jazz musician playing... not too loud... out in the "rain forest" setting outside. I've eaten here at least two/three times. They have Italian and Thai... and I do not remember what else was on the menu.

I'm not sure what is happening at the Intercontinental right now. They were under renovation in the lobby in August. They used to have a really nice lobby bar, where I met isismonroe and Russ one time, a few years ago. It was a very pleasant place to sip a cocktail. Isis and Russ also met my DH and me at Via Vai last February!

Isismonroe and Russ... are you heading back to BKK in December/January???

Gloria and I met up at the Bamboo Bar at the Oriental a few years ago. It's a nice place, but when the band starts playing it is more difficult to talk to one another. And besides, it's waaaaaay down on the river, and it looks like we will, for the most part, be staying in the Sukhumvit area. Best to gather in that area rather than taking transportation to another location.

Lots of options. Anyone else with a suggestion?

Andy, we won't tell Bob where the GTG is if you don't. But we want you both there "in spirit"...

Do you suppose the dogster (the REAL one) could join in??? Dogster, will you be in BKK in Dec?

Carol
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Carol,

I'm in touch with Brad and will call him in a few days after I'm back in Bangkok.

Regarding the GTG - I should be free from the 19 - 21 Dec so I will leave it up to you guys what day will be best for all. The weather should be nice by then, fingers crossed, so both an outdoor and/or indoor venue would be OK.

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM

both of those soi 8 places are very nice but i think kineree is nicer as far as ambiance is concerned...
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM

and you can eat in or out and there is a nice bar where you could meet before dinner and the food is delcious.....unless you want italian which is almost next door...via vai is a very simple italian place with good food, also in or out eating...
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman
Curious about your weather comment being "nice by then" as we've always had really nice weather in our Dec/Jan visits to BKK. What sort of weather are you having? I guess I've not asked Brad about it.

I agree, Kinnaree has ambiance, Via Vai does not. Via Vai is a place to go to be able to have a bit of fun, without feeling as though you have to "keep it down"... But if we are a small group of 6-8, I guess we can't get toooooo rowdy, can we?? (gotta watch that guenmai... lol) Just kidding...

(guenmai, I assume you are with your dad this weekend.. hope things are OK)

Carol
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM

I just got home this morning at 7:15AM. I was up at 4:00AM to catch my flight home. So, back to the Mac.

Anyhow, I arrive, I think, either the night of the 18th or morning of the 19th, depending on what Thai Air has done to my reservation. I'd prefer to get together the 20th or 21st.
I think we're all staying in Sukhumvit, right? If so, that should be easy. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Welcome back, Guen.

Okay, so brunch on the 21st sounds like it'll work best for everyone.

The earlier, the better for us (maybe 10 or 11?)...as we'll probably want to walk around BKK a bit before we have to head to Suvanabhumi in the afternoon.

Looking forward to it!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM

you could all go to the rang mahal fabulous indian brunch on that day...rembrandt hotel, soi 18

reserve in advance and ask for a table by the windows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -