BKK Airports opening Friday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just posted one hour ago. They have made inspections and there is no significant damage to the airport. Though they originally said they would re open on the 15th it's now changed to Friday 5th.
I know things are fluid but I so hope they hold to this.
Filmwil might be able to do the original trip now?
Sue
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM

Sue, where are you getting this info? I'm still seeing the 15th.

I was due to head over to United's office this afternoon--so I'll stay vigilantly posted.

Oy vey...up and down, up and down.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM

Was it really necessary to open a new topic (1)when a bunch of other similar threads are already open, and (2)when the "information" presented by the OP is completely wrong?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM

actually it's not inaccurate...please don't slam, she's only reporting what she reads:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/...cal_unrest_237
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Rizzuto
I was going to post under an existing heading then realized that Filmwill was at a point of no return and this news, if it holds would make a world of difference to his/her decision.
Sniff... Now I feel like I've had me knuckles rapped!
Sue
only trying to be helpful
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM

The announcements seems to change moment by moment - even from very reliable sources! I posted on another thread that there was cargo going in and out of BKK - a later report said this was not true, now I'm not sure which was true.

Are you going to wait and watch for a while, Bill?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM

Yes, we're going to wait 24hrs to see what happens.

We have the May itinerary held for 48 more hrs so we always have that as a fall-back
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

I'm flying with United this Saturday (already rescheduled once from the original date Nov 27th). The last part from Narita to Bangkok is by Thai Airways. I don't care where I get to land. But I'm positive we'll be able to use the airport in Bangkok.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM

SueHuml-don't worry about getting your knuckles rapped. It happens to me once a day. The nerve endings are dead. It's a necessary part of the give and take that constitutes this forum.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM

Sue...Let it roll off your back. You should be a regular in the European forum where one really needs tough skin. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM

Do I have to apologize now?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:15 AM

Breaking news: Bangkok's Airport will re-open on 4th December, according to the BBC. Cargo flights will begin departing from Suvarnabhumi Airport from tonight (December 2nd). Passenger flights will commence on 4th December.

The news follows the current Thai government being declared illegal by Thailand's Constitutional Court earlier today, and the wish for all parties to conclude the demonstration before His Majesty The King's birthday on December 5th. The PAD protesters are already preparing to leave the airports.

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM

brad, i keep hearing the date is either 12/5 or 12/15. no clear news from thai air either.

sounds like calm for now, but wonder what the outcome of this dec. 8th date will be...when the dissolved PPP petitions for a new PM through the parliament. sounds like something that'll anger everyone again. more protests, i wonder?

hmm...still gonna hold tight for the rest of the day and see what happens.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM

ap and others are now reporting this

"With the waning of the political crisis, the official in charge of Thailand's airports said Suvarnabhumi international airport will resume operations on Friday.
"Please have confidence in us," said Vudhibhandhu Vichairatana, the chairman of the Airports of Thailand.
He called the flights a birthday gift for Thailand's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who turns 81 on Dec. 5. The airport reopened to cargo flights Tuesday.
Officials had earlier said the airport would not reopen for commercial flights before Dec. 15, but Vudhibhandhu said he brought forward the date because an inspection revealed the airport had suffered no damage and could become operational more quickly."

Looks like the airport will be open on Friday for the King's Birthday. That in itself is enough incentive for the Thai people.

Aloha!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM

FW-have a great trip. The worst that can happen is that your flight will circle for ten days. Hope for the best. Mai Pen Rai (SP?)

Don-too late. I am nominating you for the L/AO award.

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM

This is definitely more positive news than we've been getting out of BKK recently. I'm hoping that the airport is open for business by the middle of next week. Still, I'll be watching the situation everyday, as long as I can get internet.

Carol (from Lucerne)
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM

carol....say hi to the lion for us
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

I have no clue when the airport will open back up...

But, here are some pics from a guy I know over on flyertalk..

They are of his day getting out of Thailand thru U-tapao...

Only in Thailand would you have a lady boy show and a concert in the middle of all of this!!!

http://gfowler.smugmug.com/gallery/6...28649858_VrogP
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

Just back from a meeting with a US embassy rep, United Airlines and several hotels.

The AOT plans to "reopen" the airport one minute past midnight on 5 December. However, airlines like United don't have a plane here, or a rested crew. They will have to ferry a plane in and also get a crew here and rested. They will try to do that by the 5th, or as soon after that as possible. The consensus was that it would probably take more than a couple of days, but probably less than a week to get things back to normal.

The airport IS trashed. It's not malicious from what I've heard so far, just what you might expect when 10,000 people camp out without water and electricity. It's going to take a major cleanup.

United reported that their bookings were still more or less normal for this time of year.

The picture is more bleak for the hotels. Once the stranded passengers leave, they'll be left with about a 20% occupancy rate, and no signs of that changing through January. Occupancy at the RoS is the lowest it's been in the 32 years since it opened.

There's a new manager at the Marriott Riverside for Bob to break in.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

travelduo, the photos give a sense of what it was like - not as chaotic as I expected! I love the little Thai touches - the concert and ladyboy show while people wait, free water from the red cross, food vendors set up and the guy with the "taxi cheaper" sign.

Thanks for the info, Michael. It sounds like I need to fly back to Bangkok - my ROS needs me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -