Search

BKK 2nd visit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:30 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK 2nd visit

Earlier this year we spent a week in BKK, and loved it. We're going again in Feb but this trip are spending most of our time in N Thailand & also going to LP. So, we only have 2 full days in BKK. Last trip we used boats, sky train & taxis & visited Grand Palace, Wat Po, Klongs, Royal Barges, Suan Pakkard, Vimanmek, Jim Thompson House, flower mkt, amulet mkt, in addition to just wandering, but shopping was limited to Cotton House, Uthai's Gems, Jim Thompson, MBK & Suan Lum night bazaar. For this trip, what do you recommend for two days? Some things we didn't get to last trip:

Marble Wat or any other wats except Wat Po
China Town
Ayuthaya

What should we do with our two precious days? And what are "don't miss" shopping venues?(We have the restaurants down pat-- just not enough time to get to them all, so we'll be back!)
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:41 AM

I would go to Prasart Museum and either the floating market (as long as you get there very early) or Ayyuthya. I would definitely go to Marble Temple and would put Wat Arun (temple of the dawn) on the top of the list.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:08 AM

if your two days in bkk are at the very beginning of your trip, you will be, as you remember, very tired from the transpacific trip...so that would limit you from an energy standpoint, i should think....in that case i would plan to relax by the pool quite a bit and rebuild my energy for my northern thailand days...

the marble temple is a nice visit as is wat arun....

did you do a klong tour? if not, i would consider that by long tail boat....have the hotel get one for you....are you at the penn again?? it takes 2-3 hours

i always like a return visit to the grand palace...

prasart is a good take....it requires about 1/2 day and a driver, as it is about 35 minutes outside of bkk via highway... you have to have a reservation there....send me an e mail and i will explain that if you are interested...

jim thompson outlet, soi 93, sukhumvit???

also the jim thompson main store with lunch...

bob
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:00 AM

You did not mention Chinatown or Wat Tramit (Golden Buddha). If you have not seen these, this would be a good morning activity. There's a good walking tour described in Fodors Citipak. If you don't use that, but just wander, make sure you see Sampeng Lane and Soi Issanthrup(SP?). Also, the Thonburi Walking tour described in Frommers is fun. It begins at Wat Prayoon (make sure you feed the turtles) and ends up at Wat Arun. This begins just across Memorial Bridge, so if energetic, you could do Chinatown first, walk over the Bridge and walk through Thonburi. We did not see a single other tourist until we got to Wat Arun.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:15 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, lots of good ideas. Prasart Museum might be something we'd like. Also, China Town, Wat Arun, the Marble Wat & Wat Tramit. As usual -- too much to do & not enough time!

Bob, we did do the Klong tour & enjoyed it. We're not Peninsula people (no,no please don't get started on that again..) Like you, we love the Marriott Riverside!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM

carol, with an E, how could i forget that!!!

which is better???
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel- if you miss it you are the loser!