"Bird flu" in Asia.

Search

"Bird flu" in Asia.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Bird flu" in Asia.

Does anyone have any info on this sometimes fatal flu? The news reports cases in Asia and we're wondering if our upcoming trip to China is safe. Many thanks for your input.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Check the CDC website. This has been in the news for two years at least. It's only being reported widely now because Bush brought it up in a speech and now the US has decided to wake up and report on it. But this has been a conern in other countries and by the WHO and CDC for awhile. However, the risk is the same as a year ago.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I traveled to SEA a year ago when avian flu was just starting to be in the news. I made an appointment at an excellent local travel clinic for immunizations and prescriptions. For avian flu prophylaxis the clinic prescribed Tamiflu and I took one capsule daily while on the trip.

The main advice I remember was:
Do not go to farms or places with lots of birds (chicken factories, live animal markets, etc.)

I have been reading the UN health websites this week (planning another trip soon) and they point out avian flu can be spread by bird feces, so be extra careful in places where your shoes or feet could come in contact with bird droppings. Both last year and now the WHO and FAO websites are better for information than the CDC site.

There is no vaccine for avian flu, although they are testing one now. I read last year that the Vietnamese military had stockpiled all the Tamiflu in the country. The US State Department recently has issued Tamiflu to embassy personnel and families in SEA.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Dianne, I'm shocked that a travel med clinic would give you Tamiflu to "prevent" an influenza that is not transmittable from person to person. Drugs like Tamiflu are not for prevention in any case, but are for treatment. There have been recent alarms about the fact that many of the infleunza viruses are resistant to Tamiflu. It is because Tamiflu has been misused that they are resistant.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I agree with Gloria. About a week ago, I turned on the TV and there was this panic reporting on Nightline about the bird flu. Well, it's been talked about for a good two years in Asia. In Bangkok, last summer 2004, the restaurant at the hotel I stayed at had up a sign saying that all eggs would be cooked well-done. That was about the extent of the talk of it. This past August 2005, at the same hotel, there was no sign. I thought that the Nightline report was kind of on the late show. But, one has to decide for oneself whether to go or not. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

The Asian avian flu is going to kill off a big portion of human population, regardless of where one lives. So, I think if you want to see China, you may want to do it before you die.