Polio Shot?

Jul 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Polio Shot?

I am traveling to Thailand and Cambodia next month, and I will be in the Chiang Mai and Siem Reap areas. I am fine for all of my vaccines but I have a doctor friend who said I should look into getting a Polio shot. My own doctor said it is not necessary. I was just wondering if other travelers who have traveled to these areas have gotten this polio shot (or havenít) and if they feel there is an actual risk, or if it is not necessary at all. Thanks.
Jul 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I got a booster when I first started doing this kind of travel and most traveler clinics recommend it. Polio is coming back in some countries so it's good to have.
Jul 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Depending on when and what type of polio booster you had last, it may well be wise to have another. If you are not protected, I'd definitely recommend a booster. As you may know, polio has come close to be eradictaed, but just recently, there have been several new areas where polio has been reintroduced. There are pockets of polio in Africa and India. In addition, just last month there was a report of polio in Indonesia. It's a good reminder that with modern travel, it can be spread anywhere. I have not seen any reported cases in Thailand or Cambodia, but I would get a booster nonetheless. I, like Gloria, got a booster when I started traveling. It is believed that this last booster gives lifelong immunity.
Jul 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I would get the polio shot as well. There have been several cases of polio reported in the last few weeks in Indonesia and it could easily reach other countries. I'm going to Malaysia in Sept and getting the booster just in case. Better not to take the chance.
Jul 11th, 2005, 07:08 PM

our travel doctor checked out polio status and thus i feel that it is important to look at