Best way from Chang Mai to Koh Samui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're ironing out our plans a little more as we get closer to purchasing tickets.

We'll be going in late May through most of June. BKK to Chang Rai via airline. The H has the brilliant idea that it will be loads of fun to take the bus (!!) from Chang Rai to Chang Mai after our stay at the Ananatara. Will be doing a few days in Chang Mai, trekking, cooking class, then on to the beach in Koh Samui. However, looking at the air pass for Bangkok Air, it doesn't seem as if the discount flight is valid from CM to KS.

Also now noticing that BA doesn't fly into CR, only into CM. Would perhaps a pass on Thai Air be a better option for us? Or, to save time, is it best to pay for direct flights in to and out of Chang Mai?

Any opinions on the bus trip as bus travel makes me a bit leery, but willing to put myself out there for a taste of the culture.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM

The only airline that flies into Koh Samui is Bangkok Air (it owns the airport). I don't believe that there is a non-stop from CM to Koh Samui, so you would have to change planes in Bangkok.

CR and CM are about three hours apart by road. You could hire a car and driver to take you.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM

You are right the direct flight from CM to Samui is not available on the Bangkok Air pass. However the pass can save you money if you fly CM/BK, BK/Samui, Samui/BK. That would cost around $160 net including airport taxes (110+300 baht). This compares to 10560 baht ($300) if you took their regular flights.

To get to CR you can fly Thai or for 1/2 the price one of the discount airlines.

The 1st class a/c bus from CR to CM takes about 3hrs. Or you could hire a car for the drive and stop at places that you may find interesting.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry I give you the wrong pass fare. It should read $237. Also if you were to fly CM/Samui (non stop) and Samui/BK it would br 9935 baht ($285).
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:45 AM

Hi Kat

I've done this leg.

Once by overnight train with a day inbetween in BKK. This was actually quite comfortable and you get off the train at Suri Thani and take a ferry across to Ko Sumui. Check with Thai rail for prices.

make sure you lock down valuables on the train! =)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:59 AM

Scotters is right and Kathie this time not. THERE IS a non-stop flight Chiang Mai - Koh Samui on Bangkok Air. Just check at their homepage.
I also think the best transportion between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai would be the bus or a taxi. Flying isnt worth it because of the short distance. You have to check-in at least 30 minutes before, flying time another 40 minutes or so and then the way to and from airport.
Sorry, but there is not much choice to taste any culture on Thai buses. Just many mostly sleeping Thais and some Farang (foreigners). And mobile phones ringing now and there. If you are lucky (or unlucky) loud Thai music or silly Thai movies on longer trips or if the driver is in the mood.
But the buses are quite comfortable (at least the 1st class) and the roads in Thailand ok compared to Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone! We'll definitely rule out flying from Chang Rai to Chang Mai, and may consider a personal driver. However, the bus is so cheap (first class tickets are under $4) we may still use that.

Does it add on considerable travel time to fly into Suri Thani then take a ferry to Koh Samui?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM

Taking the bus/ferry from Surat Thani will add at least 3 hours to the trip, maybe more, depending on how well the timing goes. http://www.samui.org/airport/transfer.html has good information about all of the options.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM

Flying from CM/BK/Surat Thani and onward to Samui will take a whole day. Thai Airlines is no good as you cannot make a onward connection in BK the same day. Discount carrier One-Two-Go leaves CM at 8.40, arrives BK at 9.50, leaves at 12.50 and arrives at ST at 14.05. From the airport a bus/ferry will take about 4 hrs. All flights out of Bangkok's old airport Don Mueang. Cost this way would be around $65 cheaper than taking a direct flight from CM to Samui. I think I would go for the direct flight