BEST VIEW FOR SETO OHASHI BRIDGE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello; I am wondering where would the best spot to get a really nice view of this fantastic bridge. I am heading to Takamatsu.

I have three options - which is the best?
1. WASHIEZAN - there is a bus - Shimoden from Okayama that seems to take me to a summit - no idea the cost or schedule of this.
2. KOJIMA - they say if you walk to the KOJIMA PORT SIGHTSEEING area there is a nice view from there.
3. Take a short cruise - 2 hours but not sure where I should take this from?

Which option should I choose?
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
emd

Are you taking the JR train across the bridge?
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes I am heading for Takamatsu.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
emd

There are other ways to get to Takamatsu that do not involve the bridge, that is why I asked.

It is not one brdige, it is a series of 6 bridges btwn 5 islands that span the distance btwn land and also 4-5 viaducts over land on the islands.

The boats cruise from Kojima sightseeing port and from Yoshima island. Yoshima island is the island in the middle of the bridge span. Look at this account below of getting off the JR train at Saikide station on Yoshima island and switching to a bus which goes to "Number 2 car park" at Keihan Fisherman's Wharf where you can see the bridge or get on the boats that do the viewing tours. The 2nd link has info on how to do this if you are taking the JR train:

http://tinyurl.com/yxtgs6

http://tinyurl.com/tmx2r

The above link says: By public transport, catch a JR train to Sakaide Station, then take a Shimotsui Dentetsu Bus bound for Kojima Station. It is a thirty minute ride to Fisherman's Wharf.

Excursion boat fare: 1,000 yen
・ Time required:30minutes
・ Open hours: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
・ Fixed holiday: None (unfixed holidays during winter)
・ Tel.: 0877-43-0016
・ Parking area: Free of charge

Or you can apparently see the entire span of bridges from the top of Mt. Washuzan at the southeastern edge of Kojimahanto peninsula. I have no idea how to do that.

I have not seen anyone here post on viewing the bridge in any of those ways.

http://tinyurl.com/sl8ov

Also, here is a nice link to a video of the entire bridge span from a helicopter on TouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLCv1Y_Erc
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
emd

Do a search on the forums at www.japan-guide.com My sense is that there are more people there who have traveled to Shikoku than there are on this forum, and I found it very helpful when we went there. I just did a search there and found many posts from people who have viewed the bridges on various boat tours, etc.

After you do that search, then ask more specific questions on that forum.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
emd

topping for travelingmommy
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM

Bonjour Travelingmommy,

Washuzan: The view is really fantastic, on a clear day you can see the bridge(s) and the whole area. I've taken a bus from directly outside Kojima station, I remember paying around yen 1000, but it was more than 5 years ago. It was one of those regular bus where you pay according to the distance. There's also another good viewing point on the way, at the foot of the attraction park above Kojima.

Cruise from Kojima: the port is 5 min on foot from the station, you can ask for a map at the information desk. They didn't speak English and the map was in Japanese but really user-friendly.
I don't remember having a good view from Kojima itself, and I suspect the sightseeing area you mention is actually Washuzan.

The "cruise" was quite cheap (I don't have my notes with me but I seem to remember it was less than Y 3000), on a low speedboad that normally seats around 20, but I was lucky to have it all to myself (it was mid-May). I remember there was a departure every hour.

I did both the cruise and the sightseeing from Washuzan as a daytrip from Kyoto, leaving around 8 am and returning by 7 pm (Shinkansen to Okayama, "Marine Liner" headed to Takamatsu that stops at Kojima both ways).

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM

I know there's another cruise leaving from Kurashiki, on a reproduction of a really kitschy Portuguese gallion, that also sails all the way to the Naruto Straits and its whirlpools (a nice place to visit, by the way), but I don't know where it starts or the price. You'll have to inquire at the JNTO offices.