Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best time to visit Hong Kong & how long to stay?

Dec 1st, 2000, 10:55 AM
Deb

What is the best time of the year to visit Hong Kong, taking weather and events into consideration? I will be traveling from Toronto (about 20 hours of travelling) and I am wondering if it is pointless to plan a trip with a duration of less than 2 weeks. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 1st, 2000, 01:06 PM
Phil

I think a week or ten days would be sufficient for Hong Kong alone. That would give you plenty of time to see the area, try out a number of restaurants and do a good bit of shopping. Weather is pretty good from October through April or May. Visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...kong_china.htm to get a pretty good idea of the weather there from month to month.

Dec 2nd, 2000, 12:17 PM
Titte

Hi Deb! I think you can go to Hong Kong when ever you like, just bring an umbrella if it's raining. Hong Kong is a wild big city where you can find things to do for ever... You'll enjoy it if you stay two days or two weeks!!!
Have a good time! Titte.

Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:47 PM
Amy

The weather is terrific during November. My favorite month though is December. Often a bit cooler and beautiful Christmas lights everywhere.

Dec 5th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Fen

If you like shopping, the best time is between June and Sept. Otherwise, Nov, Dec is nice - temperature is a bearable 15 top 23 deg Celcius

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Elise

The weather last October was very hot and humid - wait until it cools off. I was there for 3 days on my way to Beijing and found that I had enough time to see alot, but would have enjoyed a little more time. Make sure and take a trip over to Macua to see yet one more culture - the town center is beautiful. And take the tram in the city park up to the top to get an incredible view of Macua.

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:34 PM
Brent

Deb,
December-January is a great time to travel to Hong Kong. I was there last year at New Years and the city is absolutely gorgeous, especially at night! There is so much to do, and the weather at that time is nice...not too hot. For a really good time, plan to stay for at least 7-10 days...plan a day trip to the border of Hong Kong and China...quick and easy to get to by train...there's a big difference between Hong Kong and China! It's amazing! I'm going again in January and I cannot wait!

Dec 7th, 2000, 05:11 PM
Andrea

I spend a lot of time in HK on business (with weekends for shopping and touristy things), and would quite honestly say that with as long of a trip as you are considering, you really should spend a few days in China. I'm biased, of course, because we are Americans living in Shanghai, but to me, while HK is a WONDERFUL, exciting city, you really need to see some of Mainland China. If you only want to spare a couple of days, you can do Beijing quickly in 2-3 days, including the Great Wall. Of course I also recommend Shanghai! When I am helping friends and family planning an Orient vacation, I typically only recommend at most 3 days in HK, and if they are staying that long, I recommend they spend one of those days in Macao. There is a lot to see in HK, but it's sort of like taking a 2-week trip to Europe and staying the entire time in one city. You will find things to see every day, but will certainly be missing out on a lot of other highlights of the area.

Dec 7th, 2000, 10:03 PM
Juan

As a local resident, I think the best time is between Oct and Jan/Feb when the sky is blue and clear, preferrably between Nov and Jan. Summer months between April and Sept must be too hot and humid you. Christmas and (before) Chinese New are good for wonderful festival lightings on both sides of Victoria harbour, fireworks and retail winter sale seasons. Most of the shops and restaurants are closed the week following Chinese New Year, i.e. 29th Jan to 3rd Feb 2001. However you may use this time to take a trip to China. One week in Hong Kong should be enough for sightseeing and shopping. If you spend two weeks in Hong Kong, you should combine a trip to China and Macau. Spend at least three days in Beijing, i.e. one day to the Great Wall, one day to the Summer Palace and Forbidden City and one day city tour. Spend one to two days in Shanghai (i.e. one day for the Bund and one day for city tour) and do a day trip to Macau (used to be a Portugese colony with a lot of Portugese heritage, quite unlike Hong Kong whether 99% of the historical colonial buildings were torn down).
If you just cover Hong Kong, a trip of one week will do including a day trip to Macau.

Dec 8th, 2000, 05:37 AM
hkjudy

Hi fellow Canadian!
I'm a resident of HK and agree with many - the best weather here is from November through January. The weather is neither too hot/humid nor too grey/foggy (which it can be from Mar through May) and the flowers are at their best.

Two weeks would be a good amount of time - I suggest a side trip to Macau and into China (at least Guangzhou, if not further - if your budget will allow).

If you like walking and the natural side of things, there are great walks in the New Territories and the islands of the HKSAR (surprisingly, 74% of the territory is actually 'country park').

I'd be pleased to offer more suggestions - just send me an email at: [email protected]. And.. please take a look at our website - where you'll find other annotated links to lots of travellers' diaries and websites on various aspects of HK and the region.

Have a great trip!
Judy
http://www.accomasia.com ... let travellers' experiences be your guide.