Reload this Page >

BEST TRANSPORTATION IN JAPAN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 04:38 PM
Jennifer

WE WILL BE IN TOKYO AND KYOTO FOR A TOTAL OF 5 DAYS <BR>SHOULD i BUY THE TICKETS FOR THE BULLET TRAIN IN MY COUTRY OR WILL IT BE CHEAPER TO BUY IT DIRECLY IN JAPAN, WOW MUCH WILL THE BULLET TRAIN COST FROM KYOTO TO TOKYO ONE WAY. <BR>AND FROM NARITA AIRPOT TO TOKYO WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET THERE <BR>THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUE HELP

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 08:36 PM
Frank

Buying tickets in Tokyo to travel to Kyoto it'll cost approximately 13,000 yen one way. Buying the JR rail pass abroad is roughly 28,000 yen for 7 days. However, if you do get this pass you can take the JR Narita Express train to Tokyo and then back to the airport included in the 28,000 yen making it roughly the same price compared to buying the tickets separately in Japan. <BR> <BR>The cheapest train from the airport is the Keisei Express at just over 1,000 yen to Ueno station. <BR> <BR>Furthermore, if you buy the JR pass you can use it on all JR trains within Tokyo and Kyoto. So, I guess I would consider buying the JR pass if I were you. <BR> <BR>check out the JR web page for fares: <BR>http://www.jreast.co.jp/jehome.htm <BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:14 AM
Leo

I agree about buying the japan rail pass, but one thing. You can not make seat reservations outside of japan. By the time you arrive in Japan, there will be no seats available for reservation. So you must stand on the platform (in the approproiate spot) to enter train cars with the unreserved seats. These cars are usually very full and are sometimes smoking cars (if that is a problem). This may be a problem if there is more than one person traveling together. <BR>The green car pass is more money, but if you can afford the green car pass I would reccommend that. The green cars are much less crowded and it is possible to make seat reservations with no problem at the very last minute. <BR>One last thought. If you are in Japan for only five days, do you really want to go to Kyoto? The first day or two you will be wasted. It will take about three hours to get to kyoto. I would suggest you stay in Toyko, and go to Nikko (which is closer) for a night. Then you can save money by not buying a JR pass. The JR pass is only really economical if you go to Kyoto. Use the Keisei express to get into town and stay in Asakusa. Long but a strait shot. <BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Florence

The availability of seats in normal cars has never been a problem in my travels, except for the few days around New Year, Golden week (May) and O-bon (1 week in August). You can make all seats reservations in advance at the JR airport desk while exchanging your voucher for the actual rail pass. In my opinion, the difference of price between green and ordinary is better spent on a good meal or a real ryokan room ... <BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:36 PM
Frank

The problem that Florence stated being that it's hard to get seat reservations during those holiday periods is very very true. At other times you won't have much of a problem and especially if you reserve all your seats beforehand...(you must get your JR pass approved for usage at a major JR station and at this time can make as many seat reservations as you want during the validity of your pass). I've spent 5 years living in Japan and can say this from all that experience. <BR> <BR>I don't recommend people to get a Green card pass unless they'll be spending a lot of time traveling on these trains. AS your case it wouldn't be necessary.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 05:48 AM
hkjudy

I agree with many - the JR pass is, by far, the best and cheapest way to travel. But you HAVE to buy it before you leave for Japan. I lived in Tokyo 6 mths and have been back many times and never had a problem getting seats. I certainly don't think you'd ever need to pay so much extra for the green car (only travelled that once, complements of JR Rail because my husband's Univ.of Tokyo post was funded by them and it really wasn't any different from coach class). <BR> <BR>Best rate from Narita to Tokyo is via JR if you have the pass <BR> <BR>Can't imagine why Leo suggested not going to Kyoto. It's a wonderful city, takes relatively sort time to get there, and you shouldn't miss it! <BR> <BR>You don't have to be 'wasted' for the first day or two... start the first day (when you wake up early anyway) at Tsuiji market and then go from there - it's an envigorating city and you'll be energized by it. You can sleep when you get home &lt;GRIN&gt; <BR> <BR>Have a great time in my favourite country! <BR> <BR>Cheers from Hong Kong, <BR>Judy