BEST TIME FOR TRAVEL TO INDIA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone advise me on the best time of the year to travel to India. We also plan on visiting Bhutan, so must take into consideration the climate there. Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM

November - February/early March
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

Yes, broadly agree with Craig. Marcj starts getting warm in North India but is still great in Bhutan. I'm a big fan of Dec weather personally...
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Greetings!

Depending on where u plan to go in India, there are different travel seasons, such as for the HImalayas, the hill Stations, Ladakh, etc, etc..

However, assuming you are talking about North India, anytime from Ocotber-march is really considered the high and fine season. I lead many tours in the region, and this is when!

The heat really builds in April, so u may want to steer clear.. However, prices do come down in the hot and rainy summer off-season, so if heat and rain do not bother u, u can check out the heavily discounted off-season rates!

December and january will be the coolest months, *but do note that these are also the busiest tourist months and prices and bookings are at a all time high!.

Also, another factor is the weather which often plays havoc with the train and flight schedules in December/January..I am talking about the Fog which becomes a real problem in North India during the winter season.. u may want to consider this as well!

Take care, happy travels and feel free to drop me a line. Namaste.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think we're going to plan on November and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM

November is a great choice!
Take care, Namaste and happy travels!~
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM

a. I would rate October to March as a very good time in India, for a typical Delhi, Rajasthan & Agra trip. While in the month of October, it may be a degree or two higher in Delhi, with all the congestion & built up area, Rajasthan is wonderful weather. After 15th of March the desert sands begin to warm, though mornings & evenings are again very pleasant.
b. Delhi hotels are distressingly expansive for the first about four months of the season. However, you may hope to get good deals before or thereafter.
c. The black out days from 20th December to 5th January is a sellers market for the hotelier & he is loath to give any discounts. The fog complicates air-travel & trains / buses are thrown out of gear, in around Delhi / Agra.
d. To coalesce your India tour with Bhutan, Feb /early March may be OK.
Best Wishes.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Agreeing with much that has been said, for me, November and February are the best for Bhutan. The local airline, Druk Air flies Delhi, Kathmandu, Paro twice weekly. You may consider flying in, and then drive out through Phuntsholing towards Kalimpong and Darjeeling.