Search

Best place in India for Fabric / Saris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place in India for Fabric / Saris

Hello,

Could anyone please tell me where the best fabric districts are in India for silk fabric, beaded and also for saris? Looking for really good quality fabric.

thanks for the help.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM

quite honestly on almost ever corner and in between corners too...

the choice is overwhelming...

specific suggestions could be made if you told us what places you will visit
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Jodhpur, in Rajasthan, has a very good shop. Ahmedabad in Gujarat is fine, and Kanchipuram, in Tamil nadu, is where Indian mothers take their daughters for their wedding saris. Great silks there.
If you are in Delhi, go to the CENTRAL Cottage Industries Emporium, on Janpath, near Connaught Circus, where every State is represented. There are other Cottage Industries shops, which are private, and usually more expensive
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I was looking to go to Bombay but can also move around a little from there. I too heard that Bangalore also supplies good fabrics. I am still trying to learn the lay of the land and what is feasible to do so any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you all for the replies!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hi
Visited India in Jan 2006. Bought wonderful eastern wear including saris at the Crawford Market - unfortunately cannot recall the name of the shop.
The shop in question sold linen at the entrance and when one ventured in - another entrance opened into a small eastern garment place.
Crawford Market is a bustling, choc a block shopping experience but absolutely unforgettable.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM

In Bombay Cottage Industries n Colaba has a good selecton of ethnic fabrics. Warp N Weft in Marine Lines has a fabulos collection of fabrics by the meter, expensive but exclusive. Nallis at the end of Warden Road, at Bhulabhai Desai road near Mahalaxmi opposite the Mahalaxmi Temple has a superb collection of sarees and on the 1st flor fabrics. Indian Textiles in the Taj is one of my favourites for sarees and fabrics, limited but very well selected range.