Best Imitation things to buy at Bangkok

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Imitation things to buy at Bangkok

Hi,
How good are the rip offs at the Bangkok markets? A friend is going and has asked if I would like something. Say for example I wanted an imitation Louie Vuitton bag or a copy of a Longines watch, are some better than others and what price am I looking at.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM

quality differs...as to watches..they last about a year if you get an electronic one, preferably made in japan...they are about $20, but this can vary...bargain, bargain and buy several to keep price down

bags are sometimes very good but not always...again bargain

gold is a real bargain
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:38 AM

i'd stick with the clothing and bags,. rather then machanicle things like watches. they are just plain crap ...

I helped a fraind pick up a TAG fake for 300 baht. and on the second day the thing was already loosing time.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:47 AM

is i true that if US customs find out that you are bringing back rip offs, besides confiscating the goods, (worst case) is that they may put you in jail?? these are rumours I've heard.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM

If you're just bringing a few pieces for your own consumption, I doubt the US customs will throw you into jail, but I'm sure they will pull out every piece of your luggage and go through everything top to bottom several times.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:57 AM

The rule for US customs used to be that you could bring back one fake of a kind for your own use. But if you were bringing back a suitcase full of, say, Louis Vuitton bags, not only would they be confiscated, but you might be fined or imprisoned. You might want to call a US Customs office and find out what the current regulations are.

There are so many wonderful REAL bargains in Bangkok, why go for fake western goods? Why not buy gold, sapphires and rubies, gorgeous silks, charming handmade items?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:17 PM

One of the best things you can do in bkk is buy gold. Anywhere in Asia really. Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

Chinatown is a great place for gold but sometimes the shop owners aren't as friendly to tourists. MBK (Maboonkrong - a big multi-level shopping center across from Siam Square) is a good place for knock offs AND gold. Gold is cheap and the knock offs are a much better deal than Patpong Night market.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM

the gold mainly sold in asia is 24k. if you get a chain check the clasps they are horible, they look like pretzels and feel like plastic. Im no fan of 24K gold.

but you could find some OK prices on 18K gold wich is superior, and the chains all seem too have good strong secure clasps.

why not bring back a moter scooter they are cheep here as well. but seriously KATHIE may be right. Why bother with crap. just ask your fraind to pick you up a small silk purse which are usually hand made. and they go for around $10 depending on quality/brand, which is about what you will pay for the LOU "the rat skin" vitto-ton bag.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM

as far as gold is concerned, i find the asian gold sold in chinatown and other places to not be suitable for the western taste...gold things made in asian shops for western consumption, often custom made, is very lovely and a great bargain...the gold in the asian shops is generally for investment and lacks style and the finsih is lacking...this is not a put down but simply a fact
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Very wise advice, Kathie. I can't understand why someone would bypass all the beautiful silk bags (and cheap) to buy a tacky fake designer purse. And to go all the way to Thailand for what you can buy on a sidewalk in any large American city. Daft sheep.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Just have to add my two cents...

I am with Kathie on this one, buy something beautiful that isn't a knock off.

I do not buy "copy" anything. I really feel people have to make a personal ethical decision about this issue. I wouldn't want to be "ripped off" in whatever line of work I was in. Why is it okay because it is cheap and "over there?"

Aside from that, I want to add a thought about the 99.9 gold. I agree that many Westerns don't care for the style. But years ago I started a collection of 99.9 pieces. I buy strictly "Eastern" style pieces, Buddhas, dragons, coins... And I am very careful to buy from reputable stores. I look for good weight and high quality finish work. I have two charm bracelets that I add to each year and will start a third for my newest niece (in addition to many chains, bracelets, pendents and earrings.) Obviously they can not be worn frequently but they are very special and I think beautiful. Yes, the clasps need some practice but they are quite secure if put on properly. Next year I will plan ahead and order some pieces made twice as thick as the regular mold to add more wearability to the charms. They said that this could be finished in less than two weeks time before the end of my trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM

HOLD up. read the original post. the person is not going too thailand. a fraind is..

so I guess tuchuzy may not have the luxery of asking for exactly what she may want.. but again may'be she realy does wants a boot leg longines watch..
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Orgy7,
Firstly thanks for everybodys replys
I'm not from the USA I'm from Australia and to buy an imitation Vuitton bag I'm looking at AUD$50 - $100.
Also I'm not a fan of 24K gold, apart from that I have so much I don't even wear it these days.
Oh and Orgy7 back in 93 I bought an imitation TAG in Indonesia for $30.00AUD, yeah I probably got ripped off but I have changed the batteries maybe 2 -3 times and it still works these days. Although now that I'm older I wear the real thing
Are the knock off Vuitton bags really made out of rat skin??
Thanks again everybody.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:14 AM
jhh

Some good advice already but, if you're not already on your travels, I bought good quality Diesel jeans (normally £70 - £80 in UK) for £8.50. I was so surprised at the price I didn't even haggle - what was the point?! And one year later, they're still wearing well. You don't sound like a tie-wearer but if you want to treat a male friend, I bought 3 thai silk ties for £4! And my girlfriend managed to buy some bags and clothes - can't remember the detail (I am a man after all) but she was well pleased. We bought all our stuff in the street market at the end of Patpong where some people told us there were rip-offs. We didn't think so but we did shop around. If market traders try to hassle you into buying something (and they will) just be polite but firm: they all reacted properly to our requests to be left to browse - but then I'm Scottish!! Enjoy - you'll have a ball - oh, and go to the bars in Silom 4: great fun and good music.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Tuchuzy, if from Oz you know well the Customs people, they may well ask you straight in the eye 'Buy any fake goods ?'..then you have to decide an answer, also last couple of times I have been down both times I was asked, even to the extent of joking and pushing the issue.

I would say ask for something that is original and Thai and avoid the fakes, they are getting very very heavy these days on it.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Regardless of taste, 24k is SUPERIOR because of the higher gold content.

If you're talking about settings, 18k is safer because it is stronger due to the LOWER gold content. But, in general, and according to dealers in gold, 24k is ALWAYS more valuable.