Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best alternative to Villa Royale in Phuket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh. So we're going to Phuket in early Nov '07. I had my heart set on Mom Tri's Villa Royale, but I just got an email back from them and they're charging $398 a night for their lowest-priced (Beachwing Suite) room. I really can't justify that price for 5 nights. From the Web site, it appears that the suite at Mom Tri's Boathouse isn't much cheaper and the regular rooms are supposedly somewhat tired.

Long story short, can anyone recommend a decent alternative? I'm looking for a place on or overlooking a calm, swimmable beach area, that's relatively quiet but still within walking distance to local restaurants and massage places. It's for an anniversary trip, so the room would preferably be romantic with a tub or jacuzzi that accomodates two. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Peg, this may help you out !

On Phuket Luxury Hotels they have Beachwing Suite at Mom Tri's for November at USD 307.09 a night including tax, service and breakfast !

That's saved you about $500 !!

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...t/villaroyale/

Under the rates box change to US$ rates and that comes up on today's exchange at $307.09!

You can make an enquiry, once they confirm it's available you pay 1 night deposit and the balance about 2 weeks before you arrive.

Here's a tip though....rates go up in Thailand in general from Nov 1st, in Phuket in particular they tend to go sky high.
The October rate they offer is only USD 181.19 a night incluidnbg tax, service and breakfast, plus, if you stay 3 nights you get the next night FREE in October, so for 5 night's you would only pay 4 nights ( on the Free night you have to pay for breakfast at B 650 each, so that's about USD 40 for 2 of you - but I don't think you would mind paying about $181 a night for 4 nights and $40 for the 5th. If you can work it last 5 days of October you get a bargain. They also do a pay for 5 nights stay for 7 nights deal.

Even if you can only manage a couple of nights within october price range it's good.

Anyway $307.09 for Nov and 181.19 for October.

Good luck !
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I think the reason you did not get replies ( and I had skipped it initialy ) is that is is real tough to think of anywhere similar, Mom tri's is so unique it is a tough call thinking anywhere 'similar' without drifting well away from that 'concept dream', anyway I hope those rates put a smile on your face !

Some more pics are on:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...oyale/details/
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I will add many on the Asia side have used R24/Sawadee sites ( I always do ) and never had any problems whatsoever over years, they don't ask for any credit card details at all until they can confirm the availability and then you pay as mentioned just 1 night deposit.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

James
Great photo link for Mom Tri's. We stayed in Dhama Rhaksa the first visit and Tam Talay the second time (forgive my spelling). My favorite is Dao a Dung, but it's always booked at least a year ahead, and is the highest priced one. I had a tour of most of the villas last time I was staying there.

The first photos on that site are of the newer rooms, built in about 2003 or early 2004. I had a look at one of the rooms overlooking the pool. They are nice, to be sure, but in my opinion, they don't have the same feel as the one-of-a-kind villas. When we stayed there, those 6 villas were all there was at Mom Tri's Villa Royale.

James, I like your comment about nothing else really being comparable. You are a lot more familiar with other luxe places in and around Phuket than I am, but I'd say the villas are hard to beat.

I just met someone at the GTG in Pasadena who will stay in Dao a Dung during the holidays!!! I'm soooooo jealous!!

Carol
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

James, thank you so much. I'll check it out!