Notices

Beijing summer trip

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing summer trip

My husband will be in Beijing for 1 1/2 weeks in July for work so I'm planning to go along. Is there enough to see and do in Beijing for that amount of time? I will likely be by myself for some of the time. We would also like to do some additional traveling outside of Beijing. Is it difficult to fly to Tibet from Beijing? Any other suggestions on possible itineraries? It's our first time to Asia.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:20 AM

There is quite alot for you to do in and around Beijing during that time. Even if you spent the entire 10 days there, you probably could fill them easily.

Xian might be a good single overnight for you. FLy in. See the terra cotta warriors, then get out. But it will be HOT! Tibet is a little more difficult, as you need a permit (and I believe you still need to register with a group to get it).

Take a look at Yunnan. It's at a higher elevation, so will be relatively cool. And Lijiang is really one of the world's most wonderful places.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll look into Xian and Yunnan. Is it easy to catch flights within China? I'm assuming I should book everything before I leave.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM

If just 1 1/2 weeks in China,it's not good to go to Tibet,go to Tibet by train is better,you can see more real life about China.Xi'an 3 days,Datong 1 day,or Chengde 2 days,other days in Beijing.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM

To all:

For the many Fodorites who questioned Konglin's many advertising posts, I can tell you first hand, the guy is for real. We just used him as our Beijing guide and he turned out to be a 24 year old, enthusiastic, college educated, knowledgeable, caring and efficient guide. Both wife and I would highly recommend him.

He first took us out to the wall at Mutianyu, and to a little restaurant in a nearby town for the best, juiciest, paper-thin, dumplings of great variety...then on to a cloissone' factory which wife requested, then to The Sacred Way, ending the day with an unhurried visit to the Summer Palace.

Stu T.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM

IMHO, there's more than enough to keep you busy in Beijing for 1.5 weeks. Our family spent 3 weeks in Beijing in April 2005 and still have "to do" activities left for our next trip.

Whether you venture beyond Beijing really depends, I think, on when/if you'll be back in China again. If another China trip is in the offing in the near future, then you could easily spend the whole time in Beijing. If this is your one and only China trip then, yes, go to Lijiang or Xian.

Enjoy!

CanadaKate
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

We're actually looking to extend our trip so we get an opportunity to travel outside of Beijing. Total - we could possibly be there for 2-3 weeks. This will likely be my only trip to China.

So far, it sounds like Lijiang and/or Xian should be on our itinerary. Any other recommendadtions? Also is train the best way to travel in China or should we fly?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Trains make the most sense on routes that are around 12-hour long, overnight. Like Beijing - Xian or Beijing - Shanghai. They depart early evening, you go eat at the dining car, you go back to your cabin to rest and you're there in the morning.

On these routes, you can get the "Z" train with "deluxe soft sleeper" that sleeps two in a cabin with private bath. Very nice. Not cheap, but should still be cheaper than 2 air tickets and a night of hotel. And you save time.

On longer routes, like from Beijing to Yunnan Province, a train will take like 48 hours. Won't make much sense.

But since you mentioned Tibet, the Tibet Railway is the highest in the world and an unique experience (and you hope you don't get altitude sickness). Tickets may be hard to get though. Also, you don't have to ride from Beijing. You can get on in Xian or Xining.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! My husband has to book his trip today so I have to decide how long we want to stay in China. Right now I was thinking of staying 3 weeks in July. We would stay in Beijing for 1 1/2 weeks and then travel for the remainder of the trip. Here's what I'm thinking so far. I'd appreciate any feedback and recommendations as I need to book my flight today!!! We would likely have to fly in and out of Beijing.

Beijing - 8 days
Xian - 2 days
Guilin - 2 days
Lijiang - 3 days
Tibet - ???
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Hi, travelgo7!

How fortunate you are to have 3 weeks in China! Plan on as much time as you can spend there. Even then, there will be so much left to do that this may not be your "only" trip to China.

Book as much time as you can and work out the details of which cities and how much time in each later. Fodorites are incredibly helpful and those on the Asia board are among the most patient and mellow!

Happy planning!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM

You said it, ET, the Fodorites on the Asia board are the most patient and mellow until they drink bastardo!

But I do believe the Asia boards Fodorites have the best manners, I cringe when I read some of the rudeness on other boards.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Careful what you say shanghainese, or they'll start coming over here to flame you

travelgo7 - check out Yangshuo - it is a much nicer place to stay than Guilin. But they will both be very very hot in July!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Is it difficult to travel outside of Beijing if you don't speak Mandarin? I only know how to speak some Cantonese. How common is English outside of Beijing?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:32 AM

travelgo:

the main trait of many of the independent travelers on these Fodor boards is that we can get by anywhere without being proficient in the language.

We just returned from Beijing, Xian, Guilin and vicinity and Shanghai, neither wife nor I know more than some guide book phrases...had no difficulty, a minor bit of frustration here and there, and did find enough English speakers in every location. The good old Finger Pointing method helps a lot in restaurants, shops, etc. Smiling often is helpful, too.
Have no fear, dear..just get out there and enjoy!(note: Give three days for Guilin and vicinity)

Stu T.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

That's really good to know! I plan on picking up a phrase book and even listening to some language tapes if possible before July. Your itinerary sounds similiar to what I'm considering. How many days did you stay in each location and did you travel by train?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your phrase book has English, pinyin AND Chinese characters. The pinyin will help you pronounce the words, but I found no locals who read pinyin - but they all read characters. Since I can't hear or reproduce the tones, I usually just pointed to the characters.