Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

beijing question about itinerary, hotel, and restaurant

Nov 21st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

We are a group of 11, mostly children, who will arrive on Friday. Since we are travelling with a tour group, I was considering dumping the group and doing it all on our own. What do you think? Here's the current plan:

Day 1: arrive, eat lunch. Visit the Temple of Heaven 2:30pm, Tian An Men Square 4:30, 6:00 eat dinner, 7:00 acrobatic show, 8:45 check in at hotel

Day 2: 9am Visit Jade Carving Factory, 10:20 Great Wall, 12:50 lunch, 2:40 Summer Palace, 4:30 Pearl Market, 6:15 dinner--Peking Duck, 7pm Beijing Opera

Day 3: 8:30 Forbidden City, 10:30 Silk Quilt Factory, 12:00 lunch, 1:00 Lido Market, 4:00--? Free time

We leave the next morning. We want to shop, but we don't want to have to sit on the bus between government stores instead of fun markets.

We will definitely see the Great Wall and the acrobatic show, and we want to see the other sites listed--but keeping in mind the kids range from age 2-14, well, you can see the issues.

We want to take them to the zoo (pandas) and then the Blue Zoo--assuming we can find it that third day.

At the moment we are considering leaving the group at the Forbidden City and heading off to do our own thing for the majority of the day.

We are booked at the Best Western Premier Hotel. How central is that to the sites? Zoo? BLue Zoo?

Finally, I found a place called 1001 Nights, through a tip on the site. It looks interesting. Has anyone eaten there? Prices?

All suggestions are much appreciated!!

Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:13 AM

Yes, you can definitely dump the tour after Forbidden City on the 3rd day.

Now, your hotel is in the SE side of town; while the zoo is in the NW. The Blue Zoo is closer, a little north of your hotel.

You'll probably need 3 taxis to go to most places.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:03 AM

I'd say don't even join the tour at all on the 3rd day....you may even get a price cut on your tour price this way.

Take taxi's to the FC on your own in the morning. Since you'll have to take several taxi's, make sure to agree on arriving at the same entrance location.

Purchase tickets on your own at the counter and walk through the FC (There is a map on the entrance ticket, but basically you'll walk North/South straight through the complex with a few side detours....very easy).

After that, go to the zoo (by taxi again). I didn't see the zoo's, so don't know much about those locations.

After lunch, you'll have the whole day for shopping.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks! I hadn't ecen thought of needing to tell the taxis all to go to the same entrance...lol

Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

I've eaten at 1001 nights. It's a blast! Every 30 minutes a belly dancer comes out and dances around the restaurant. It will entertain the kids no end! I've reviewed it on my website in the China section.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/china
Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

The south entrance to the FC and Tiananman Square are across the street from each other. However, no cars are allowed to stop on the street in this area.

To make things simple, you may want to have the taxi's go to Tiananmen Sq where everyone will meet at one of the landmarks. Then march across the street (using the underpass tunnel) towards the FC.

The sounth entrance to the FC is through the doors under the big Mao protrait. Keep walking straight in until you get to the ticket counters where you can't go further without tickets.

Once you're in, you just keep heading north and exit at the North entrance. You can then take taxi's to your next destination. Again, you'd have to walk across the street to a side-street where the taxi's can stop.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Well, the Forbidden City is part of the tour which you've already paid for. And it's the first item for the 3rd day. You should definitely follow the group to at least get inside. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for your tickets, and I believe numbers are limited for each day.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

How much was 1001 nights?

Thanks for all of the adice

Does anyone know anything about the BLue Zoo?
Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:23 AM

That's what I meant as well. See if you get a discount off the tour price first. If the price is firm, you may as well take advantage of the transport and admission to FC you've already paid for.

Price of each taxi is about US$2, admission to FC is US$5 adults (children about half price).

Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM

Hmmm...I was in China for work so not paying a massive amount of attention to prices. I don't remember 1001 nights being particularly expensive though.