Search

Beijing Layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing Layover

Hello everyone!

I have a less than 24 hour layover in Beijing. I actually land at in Beijing at 6:20 pm and will leave the next day on a 2:00pm flight to Bangkok. I plan to be back at the airport by noon for check-in.

I am traveling with my 13 y.o. so I thought it would be nice to do a layover tour. I am not sure how doable that will be since we get in kind of late. Plus, we wanted to do one of those layover tours.
We were thinking of seeing the Great Wall OR the Forbidden City (as I don't think we can pull of both sites with the schedule we have).

Any comments, suggestions, ideas will be really appreciated, especially on the feasibility of my plans.

Also, hotels -- nearer to the airport or more central?? Any recommendations?

I thank you in advance

S
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM

First about the hotel. I would not stay near the airport no matter which tour option you choose.. The few hotels in that area are more expensive and would not provide you with the experience of being in the city, walking around and soaking it in. While tourist attractions are close in the evening, there are some interesting areas to walk around in the evening such as the Drum Tower / Houhai area or the Qianmen / Dashilan area. Plenty of interesting restaurants as well.
As far as the next morning is concerned, this is really up to you based on your preference. You can do one or the other but not both. There is certainly no need to join a tour to see these two places. For the Great Wall, you just need a driver to take you there and then at the airport. Assuming that you go to the Mutianyu section, which is not too far from the airport, you'd need to leave at 11h. From the center of the city it is about 1.5 hours drive so you need to leave your hotel no later than 7h30., preferably 7h.
For the Forbidden city, you can even squeeze in the Temple of Heaven if you are willing to have an early start. The park portion opens extremely early and it is interesting to walk around and watch the retirees doing their morning activities. The Forbidden city opens at 8h30. If you get there at the opening you can do a quick visit and catch a taxi at the exit.
You should not carry your luggage no matter the option. Just have an overnight bag. Leave the rest in storage at the airport.
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, CanadaChinaTraveller. Your advice has been invaluable. I think if we stay in the city (as per your suggestion), we can some of Beijing at night. Plus the Temple of Heaven looks to open super early so may be able to go there, then to the Great Wall, then to the Airport.

Sounds like a lot but since I have over 5 hours to rest on the way to Bangkok...
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Yes, that works too. Have the driver pick you up at the Temple of Heaven no later than 7h30.
Looks for drivers here: http://www.thebeijinger.com/classifieds/cars-drivers
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 09:01 PM

I'm anti-airport hotels. They are such a bore.

That being said, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency, which is a centrally located hotel with superb service. The conierge (actually, several of them) answered all my emails well in advance so I had my itinerary ready when we got there.

My sons were just a little older than yours when we visited, and I can tell you that the Great Wall will be a hit with your son. It is so cool to boys, with the little towers that he can climb up--and he gets to be outdoors for the whole time. I really wouldn't worry about seeing anything else, except maybe the pandas at the zoo.

If you stay at the Hyatt, they can pick you up directly at the airport, take you to the Great Wall, and then to the hotel. They have a fleet of Mercedes with drivers in uniform, and it's not as pricey as you would think.

For the evening, there is a multi-level bookstore five minutes away from the Hyatt. They have many books in English and cool art supplies, including calligraphy brushes.

I also forgot to mention that your son would probably enjoy seeing the embalmed Chairman Mao. He gets sent to Russia every year for spa treatment and a renewal, so we missed visiting him. He's a must see for teenage boys.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 09:12 PM

Oops, I just reread your post, and saw that you come in at night. In that case, I would just take a generic taxi to a centrally located hotel. I would have a fun Peking duck dinner, and visit the bookstore I mentioned.

The next morning, I would leave at some super-early hour and have the hotel driver take you to the Great Wall. Our driver took us to a fun restaurant where we picked a fish out of their pond, and they prepared it for us. Unless your son is interested in Chinese history, then the Forbidden City will probably not hold his interest at that age.