Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing Hotel - Marco Polo? Novotel? Crowne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'll be spending 4 nights in Beijing and plan on staying 1 night at a hotel close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square and the other 3 nights at the Sheraton Great Wall on SPG points.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel near Forbidden City/Tiananmen Square? Right now I'm debating between the Crowne Plaza, Novotel, or Crowne Plaza. I would also consider the Peninsula or Hyatt if it's really worth it despite the price difference. Also, does anyone suggest I spend 2 nights in a hotel closer to the sights instead of just 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM

We were in Beijing 3 weeks ago and spent 5 nights at the Crowne Plaza Beijing. The hotel underwent renovation in November of last year and is now very impressive with a lovely central atrium area. We stayed on the Club floor and were very happy with the room, huge comfortable bed, pillow menu, large workable desk, coffee perculator etc. The bathroom was great and very big, with a big island style bath in the middle of the room, separate shower, wardrobe & drawers etc. The staff were very welcoming and informative. The location is great walk straight out onto Wangfujing Street. We booked via the official web site as they guarantee to be the cheapest on the web and we certainly got the club room at a great price.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Anyone else have advice? In my original message I actually meant to say that I'm debating between the Crowne Plaza, Novotel, and Marco Polo...
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:15 AM

We stayed at the French run Novotel Peace Hotel (the east building) in Nov 2002 and were very pleased with the room, service and the buffet breakfast.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM

The Marco Polo is in Xidan district, 1 or 2 stops away from Forbidden City. The hotel is quite new, around 3 years old, and is a 4 star. You can take the underpass and once across, you are in the shopping district with many retail shops and department stores. 2 minutes from the hotel is a department store.

The Novotel is in Wangfujing District, the main shopping and dining district,so there literally is more action here--- more restaurants,more shopping and yet, is also 1-2 stops away from the Forbidden City.

Both are great, if you want to be in a better location,choose Novotel in Wangfujing.