Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Beijing hotel - Haoyuan Binguan or Dongjiaominxiang?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Beijing in late March with my family. Basic hotel choice we have to make is between history/atmosphere (a courtyard-style hotel like Haoyuan Binguan) and relaxation (e.g. a place with a pool after hours of walking daily, like Dongjiaominxiang). Both of these places fit the price range we're looking for - around $60-75. Anyone have experience with them, or similar ideas?
Thanks a lot.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:05 AM

I'll be in Beijing in a couple of weeks and was interested in hearing about your experience. Where did you stay and were you happy with the accommodations? Let me know more!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:05 AM

In April, we spent four nights at Cui Ming Zhuang Hotel which I highly recommend. Our basic rate was Y420 ($51 US), booked by phone the day before. You might get just as good or better rate in person. The first three hotels we called were fully booked so we felt most comfortable booking in advance, even though we realize that it was not a guaranteed reservation. Okay buffet breakfast was Y20. Hotel was clean and quiet. We were able to leave some luggage at the hotel, without charge, while we traveled elsewhere. Best thing about hotel - its location. Walking distance to many sights, including Forbidden City area and Wangfujing. Lots of good eating places, including Donghuan Night Market - a must in our book. Suggest avoiding the airline booking desk near the elevators - we were quoted fare about 50% higher than at the Airlines Ticketing Hall near north end of Wangfujing.

In Beijing, we also stayed at the New World Courtyard by Marriott and the Great Wall Sheraton. I would choose the Cui Ming Zhang over either of these. The only guide book where we found it listed was the new Frommers China.

Good luck and be sure to report any special finds that you encounter.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:13 AM

We are going in August, and, since we will need a second room for teenaged kids, we were thinking about staying at the New World Courtyard -- because we can advance reserve two rooms through Marriott, at a reasonable rate. What was your experience with the Courtyard? Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:54 AM

New World Courtyard was very nice. We booked two rooms, three nights, via Priceline 4* Chongwen zone for a total of $355, including taxes, etc. If you are unfamiliar with Priceline, see www.biddingfortravel.com for tips and insights. Caveat - once booked, no refunds. Regular rate was $90, w/o breakfast.

Typical Marriott, efficiently run, English speaking staff, just like back home! We did not eat at any of the restaurants, but did eat at two across the street north side - Liliput hotpot and a duck place about 100 yards west. Also visited the market on the corner, east of Liliput, for fruit, water, steamed buns, tea, snacks. Modern shopping center attached to hotel. We walked south to Temple of Heaven, albeit a long walk, and short taxiride to Forbidden City area.

Oh yes, there was no air conditioning during our stay, although surely it is on during the summer. When we called to inquire, an 'engineer' was sent up with a special tool with which she opened the window. Voila - air conditioning!

Although we did not use them, we were quoted the cheapest airfares to Xi'an by the concierge.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM

I am considering staying at the HaoYuan in Beijing this October. Does anyone know if the toilets are 'western' style or chinese style?
thanks