Battle of Ubud - FS vs. Pita Maha

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this really a battle royale as to which is better? Can anybody comment that has stayed at both? Right now I'm debating between 4 nights in a pool suite at Pita Maha or 4 nights in a river front villa at FS Sayan. This seems like an easy battle with FS the hands down winner, but my travel agent (which seems to be very knowledgable) is highly recommending Pita Maha over FS. I'm a bit torn as I would like to follow her advice, but have read such wonderful things about FS. Let the battle begin...bring it on!
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I don't trust travel agents. This is a decision you have to make for yourself - that is whether to pay 1/2 the price for the Pita Maha (Bali Discovery Tours price is $306/nt with tax and service for a pool garden villa) or go for the more expensive FS ($695/nt with tax service and breakfast). If you are not getting these prices, then you are wasting your time with your TA. I have stayed at neither but for twice the price, the FS better be twice as good.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Seems to be a decent package for 3 nights at Pita Maha from the hotel's own website booker. http://baliwww.com/bali_special_pack...ge_list/4.html Also, I've been researching hotels in Bali for our friends and in every case when I've contacted them directly they have given me discounted rates of up to 70% of published rates. I'd check rates with the hotel directly before booking through any agent or booking site.

Old May 6th, 2005, 02:51 PM

I've had a look around Pita Maha - in January - but not Four Seasons Sayan (I did see the entrance). Pita Maha is much closer to Ubud Village and has some very nice restaurants within walking distance. It is lovely, lovely, lovely....gorgeous grounds and the private pools in some villas are small (plunge pools) but nicely designed. The spa looked very nice. Views from the hotel are good. Staff was happy to show me around, very gracious and happy. This place had a calm and relaxed feeling about it.

Four Seasons is on another road leading out of town...we passed it a number of times. There are a few shops alongside the road that have the benefit of being located next to a 5* place, but none of them sold anything you couldn't get elsewhere. A friend told us the place was stunning, but like I said, I haven't been inside the place.

I think to choose between the two you have to decide if you want to be inside the hotel grounds most of the time, dependent on transport to outside shops or restaurants....or if you want to be a bit closer to Ubud town. Four Seasons isn't within walking distance to Ubud, but Pita Maha could be walkable (for me it is)...5 minutes or so to Indus and Mozaic restaurants, 10 minutes or so downhill to Ubud center. Pita Maha also has transport whenever you want it if you don't feel like walking. For me, it would come down to what I want out of my stay. I don't think you can wrong with either one.
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM

You can't go wrong with either, both are highly regarded 5 star hotels. It may really depend on what kind of hotel you prefer. Four Seasons Sayan is more spacious, with the grand vistas and spare modern architecture. Pita Maha is locally owned and more garden-y and lush, Balinese style. ( right now I don't know a better way to phrase it). Pita Maha is a little more boutique-y and as someone else said, is closer to Ubud but the Four Seasons is only a 3 minute drive further on. They each are on river gorges, but different rivers.

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Royal Pita Maha? I know this is a different hotel that the Pita Maha but there isn't that much information about it. My travel agent recommended this hotel. She said they have had alot of client stay there and were very happy. I am also trying to decide between here and the 4S sayan.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM

Royal Pita Maha just opened in December, 2004, which is probably why you find little information about it. It is part of the Tjampuhan Group of hotels, which include the Pita Maha, and the Tjampuhan Hotels, which are very well known and very nice.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM

$306 vs. $695- this is a no brainer. Why anyone would pay $695 for a room is beyond me (except of course if you are Donald Trump)
I say apply the law of deminishing returns and ask your self - at the FS are you getting twice as much value for your dollar than at Pita Maha. If the rooms are $695 one can only imagine what the food costs there as well!
Don't get me wrong the FS hotels/resorts are fabulous but really do you want to blow this much money just for the room on your vacation?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I agree with Bill. Or you can just do both hotels. Split your stay. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:14 AM
spf

Royal Pita Maha is not a good idea. It's not really finished yet. Four Seasons Sayan is your best bet, without a doubt. I've lived in the area for ten years. Trust me on this. However, if you really must be in the centre of Ubud, then choose Kajane villas. Another great escape from Bali is Qunci in Lombok.