Bangkok to Vietnam spur of moment!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ticket to Bangkok arriving October 19......I want to go to Vietnam and have no Vietnamese Visa nor plane tickets nor tour plans. Nada! I'm thinking I can just go to Bangkok and check out travel agencies there. My question: can my VISA be gotten within a couple of days? I only have until Nov. 4th when I must leave Bangkok. Yikes! Not enough time! If you have ideas.......!!!!! Thanks Phee
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM

I don't know what the deal is in Bangkok, but the information I was given is that the Vietnamese Embassay takes 5 days. I assume that is plus postal time. This is germane to me as my passport will be in use at the time our group visa is being acquired.

I don't know where you are coming from, but if you have a Vietnamese Embassy/ Consulate where you are and you can find a phone number you could get information from them before you leave. Or, if you are willing to pay a visa service to take care of it for you that is a possibility.

If you have your photo and won't be leaving Thailand during that period [because they will hold your passport] you should be able to do it in Bangkok.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:07 PM

we flew from bkk to hanoi on air france if that is any interest to you...great flight...
are you anywhere near nyc or washington dc so you could go to the embassy and get a visa before you leave??? or contact one of the visa agencies to see if they have expedited service??

i would not waste my time in bkk doing it....
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:28 PM

If you're an Australian you can get a visa in Canberra by mail in 5-8 days. Check out the internet for the closest embassy/consulate to you and get cracking! Do not miss Vietnam if you have the time- Hanoi is great, Hoi Ann magnificent-Hue with it's monuments is magic-the people are mostly friendly-the food - fabulous. Thailand was a disappointment for us-Vietnam was just so special and you should do what it takes to see it. Olavi travel in Khao San road BKK is real cheap for tickets to Vietnam. We paid AUD450 BKK to Hanoi then open jaw Saigon to Bangkok. Good luck.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:12 AM

There was a thread on this a few months ago, and the word was that a US citizen entering Vietnam by air can buy a visa on arrival in Vietnam. The thread says the cost was $50. This information did not show up on the website for the Vietnamese embassy, but does jive with a news report I read a few months ago that Vietnam was instituting a visa on arrival program for US citizens later this year.

I would suggest you call the embassy in Washington or check the website yourself:

202-851-2293
202-861-0917
vietnamembassy-usa.org

Not sure if the visa on arrival is more expensive than a visa obtained prior to arrival. If you are using an agency in Bangkok for the trip, they provide information. There are travel agencies all over Bangkok, if you are on a budget, try any of the ones in the Khao San Road area. Also take a look at the website for the Lonely Planet guidebooks at "lonelyplanet.com". This is the site for backpacker travelling, and they often have good ideas for cheap air travel. Get onto the chat/talk site and post your question. The area of the site you need is called "Thorn Tree Posts ". Select "South Asia and the Mainland". The site is somewhat similar to this Talk section of the Fodors site.