Bangkok to Siem Reap

Search

Bangkok to Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok to Siem Reap

We are arriving in bkk on Nov 3. I have been reading everyone's comments on travelling from bkk to Siem Reap but most have gone by air. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to go by land and how I do it. I was thinking of going by bus. I realize it will probably take 2 days of my time in travel there and back but it will be less expensive than air and hopefully more scenic? Is this a good idea? Or will we be miserable? Thanks
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Pennywise but pound-foolish, or whatever version of this saying you are familiar with.

Unless you are some sort of masochist, I would definitely fly. Check out the fares on Bangkok Air. The are not that pricey especially if you are travelling to some of their other destinations and can use their "air pass." Check out the details on bangkokair.com
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM

talesofasia.com has all the info you need for that option.

if you're planning on going to phnom penh, fly from bkk to pp with air asia - about 50$, then bus to siem reap - mekong express about 10$
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it the other way, Siem Reap to Bangkok, two years ago. Car to Poipet, bus to Bangkok. The car was the same price as the airport departure tax, so it was really a no-brainer for me (the cost of gas has put the price of the car up, apparently). One part of the road was very bad, but the view was great!

As alr837 says, talesofasia.com has all the info you need, I read it carefully before planning my trip!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM

talesofasia will give you all of the details on how to do it and all of the cautions about scams. After reading that site, you will be able to decide whether you want to spend your time going overland.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I was expecting this kind of response! I will look into flying. I have some other questions. I checked out the website lhw.com and the htl rate for the Dusit Thani is good. We were thinking of staying at the Marriot Resort, how do they compare?
Also we want to do a few days of beach holiday, relaxing with not too many crowds or busy beaches. Nice white sands and clear blue water.Any thoughts on where to stay? Is Koh Chang nice? I think Kathie said something about it being a malaria site. Thinking of Ko Samet, Phuket, Ko Lanta. Any recommendations. We want to do some snorkelling. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM

the DT is a lux hotel...it is quite old and was one of the premier hotels, but more recently has has taken a back seat to the newer lux hotels...it is still quite nice and has fabulous restaurants...the marriott is probably a step below it in the lux category but has many advantages, imo, not the least of which is the river location...i think the marriott may be a tad cheaper as well...

look at this hotel site: www.huahin.20m.com for great rates...the marriott rate will be posted shortly for post nov 1 stays...probably about $140 inclusive...

koh chang is very laid back...the amari emerald cove is an excellent semi-lux hotel and quite new and right on the beach...the beach is quiet..less price are the tropicana and the barali just up the beach...i stayed at the barali...
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM

most any area that borders on cambodia is a malaria area and koh chang is one of these...we took malerone for this purpose
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Even using the Bangkok Air pass it is going to cost you $234 return plus $60 for a domestic section (you have to buy a mininum of 3 sections) which you may or may not use. For two thats $468 for the international portion. Regualar fare is $290 return.

A cheaper way is by air/land - Air Asia to Phnom Penh ($50) and then taxi to Siem Reap ($45) ariving early afternoon. Road trip is about 5hrs over a good road. Return the same way but spend the night(s) in PP. Worth a day to visit the sights and see another side of Cambodia other the touristy and overpriced SR. This way will cost you $280 for 2. You could always take the excellent a/c bus between PP/SR for $9.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help! You are a wealth of information. I will probably have tons of questions later as I read more, it seems there is so much to see in Thailand. Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:15 AM
bluesman78

It was $305 on the airpass to fly from Bangkok to Siem Riep to Phuket and back to Bangkok. I think that's a heck of a deal! Definitely go with the airpass.