From Bangkok to Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there, I'm taking a trip that will encompass Bangkok, Angkor Wat, Saigon and Beijing over a 22 day period. I'm trying to decide if I should go by land from Bangkok to Siem Reap or fly to save time. Any suggestions? Right now, my itinerary looks like this - Bangkok 8 days, Angkor Wat 2 days, HCMC & Nha Trang 7 days and Beijing 5 days. Any ideas or tips that you could offer
regarding my trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I am always a believer of saving time, I would prefer to fly. I just did a similar trip, but I did not do Bejing, but I did Luang Prabang in Laos. I did Nha Trang, going to Evason Hideaway for a beach vacation, which was wonderful. I did not see HCMC, I heard often on this forum that it was not worth it. I know everyone here loves Bangkok, and I do as well, but 8 days is a long time - don't short change Angkor because I really loved it, it is an amazing experience, plus the floating village is a good site as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Going overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap takes a full day. If you are really intreested in this option, read all about it at www.talesofasia.com For me, teh time and aggravation would make the (expensive) plane trip well worth it.

It does take a full three days to see the major temples at Angkor. If you are interested in the temples, you'll want at least that much time. We spent a week there and didn't see all of the accessible temples. If you are the sort of person who is easily "templed out" or if you have only a passing interest in Angkor, two days might be enough for you. Do your research ahead of time so you know how much time you want to spend there.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM

I met a woman in SR who went by bus from Bangkok to SR as part of a tour. She said they were on the bus for 11 hours and the road was not good. She so disliked the road trip that she was flying back to Bangkok on her own even though it was costing alot for a one way ticket.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM

If you want to avoid paying the high airfares to and from Siem Reap then consider flying into Phnom Penh with discount airline Air Asia and catching the noon bus to Siem Reap for the 5hr trip. Airfare will be around $50 (including the 700 baht Bangkok airport tax). The Mekong Express is the best bus (comfortable seats, a/c and has a toilet). Cost $10 and the road is quite good. If there are several of you then a taxi is an even better way to travel from PP to SR at about $40-50 for the whole taxi.

Getting to HCMC from SR take the bus back to PP (or a taxi), spend the night and if you have time an extra day. Catch the Mekong Express (you stay on the same bus all the way) at either 6.30 or 11.00 am and be in Saigon around 6hrs later. Bus is large and comfortable and air conditioned and only cost $12.

Great way to see some of the country if you have the time. Also add at least one extra day in SR.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I agree...from what Ive read, the overland route is not fun as faras the time spent on a bus. We planned our return to Bangkok, however to go overland. BUT were doing it over two days. Day 1 we go to Banteay Chhmar, and stay overnight at a guesthouse/lodge not far from the border (wihin an hour ) Day 2, morning at Sarus Crane Reserve, the border crossing and bus back to Bangkok....or maybe its the other way around... cranes day 1 and Banteay Chhmar day 2. Anywho...That was our choice. PLUS the overland route back is easier than the trip to SR...apparently...

mark-
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM

fly...no question with only 22 days and so much area to cover...nothing missed...