Bangkok Restaurants

Search

Bangkok Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Restaurants

Just wanted to say thanks. I was in Bangkok a week ago and acted on some of your dining recommendations.

I had some very nice dinners at Zanzibar, Face and Kinnaree. The service, food, and decor were all outstanding.

I stayed at the Fraser Suites on soi 11 and was very pleased by the accomdations.

http://www.kinnareegourmet.com/index.html

http://www.facebars.com/bg/

http://www.restrobar.com/thailand/bangkok/Zanzibar.html
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Great! I'm glad you enjoyed Face, one of my faves. It's always good to hear back about our restaurant recommendations.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM

we try to find the best and bring them to everyone's attention...
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM

looking forward to your trip report!!
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed the restaurants. I'm walking past Zanzibar every day or so (I'm in Bangkok right now) and I keep thinking I have to go back there again. I like this place a lot. Kinnaree is just down soi 8 from my apartment hotel, so hopefully I will make it back there again as well. Doubt I'll make it to Face this time.

Will be watching for your report!

Carol
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Well if you want to save some money and have a nice meal in a popular restaurant - try the lunch counter in the Foodland Supermarket on Sukhumvit Soi 5. This is not far from the Nana Skytrain stop. The restaurant name is the "Took Lae Dee."

Both Asian and Western specialties are served. Daily food specials. A mini cooking lesson if you sit closer to the grill end of the counter. World famous cheap eatery!

Paying more for your food doesn't mean it will taste any better!

Popular restaurants:

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/bangkokrest.htm

Happy New Year!

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I usually don't eat deserts in Asia, but must comment on the wonderful Mango cheesecake at Face. I still relish that superb ending to a great meal.

One small issue - did anyone else think the stairs were a tad dangerous? Must have been that bottle of wine?
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM

I agree with you on the stairs issue, Degas. But then, it could have been that extra bottle of wine that our group had as well!! haha

I think we are headed down to Kinnaree here in a few minutes! I suggested it to DH and he has agreed.

Carol
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

SirHalberd, thanks for the budget recommendation. I just paid my CC bill, and realize now how quick the tab can run up in those "top tier" places. Sing out if you have other favorites.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM

"SirHalberd, thanks for the budget recommendation. I just paid my CC bill, and realize now how quick the tab can run up in those "top tier" places. Sing out if you have other favorites."

I am a "thrift traveler" so I try go get my money's worth when I eat. I do like some buffets, especially in Pattaya.

For Bangkok you can check out the morning breakfast buffet at the Fortuna Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 5, just down from the Foodland. All you can eat for 129 baht. Asian and Western typical breakfast fare plus eggs to order. There usually is "other" food available like curry chicken, fried rice, Japanese specialties, pastries and all of the coffee, tea, juice you can drink. (Pattaya 110 baht with more stuff available!) Walk in customers for the buffet no problem!
http://www.fortunabangkok.com/

Check out some of the food courts in malls. Lots of variety at good prices. The prices have to be reasonable because ordinary Thai workers also eat at food courts.

No one flies to a foreign country to eat at a McDonalds, but in Thailand what you get at a Mickey D's is cheaper than in the US. Plus, they have extras like rice, chicken and other Thai specials too!

When in doubt as what to get in an Asian restaurant you can rarely go wrong with fried rice! Some places it is as cheap as 35 baht. Besides Foodland, some Tops and Villa Markets also have restaurants.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM

DH and I did end up at Kinnaree last night. It was delicious! And dining outside was such a pleasant thing to do in December.

I've dined with my Thai friend, Maeng, at a little noodle shop by Chatuchak that cost me less than 50cents for both of us to get full! It was delicious... some sort of pork and noodles. The only thing I didn't eat were the pork intestines that were floating in the bowl. Everything else was delicious!!

I won't eat bugs... don't know about others, but I have to draw the line on that one.

Yes, you can eat very cheap in BKK. My biggest concern is that some of the veggies on the street have been washed in the not-so-potable water. If something is fruit that has to be cut open to eat the insides, it is no probably safe. Some of the street food smells fantastic, and I'm very tempted.. but I usually wait until I am in a mall food court or at a more traditional restaurant.

Carol
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

The Long Table looks interesting. But I'm thinking it might be better just for drinks and/or dessert.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Degas
You really should try the Long Table sometime. If you do, you should sit AT the long table. The lighting and seating comfort is better there than at the bar, where we dined last week at a lower bar-type table with lounge chair seating. If you take a walk outside, you'll see that the view is really nice (not quite like Sky Bar) and the fresh air and breeze is delightful. If you go just for drinks, go to the bar outside and try to get one of the tables around the perimeter of the area. Obviously, the earlier you go, the better chance of getting a better table. I would think that if you arrive by 7pm you'd be OK. Give it a try!
Carol
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Carol - I will on my next trip. And where is the Sky Bar? Drinks only?
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Sky Bar is at the top of the State Tower building, near the river and the Saphan Taksin skytrain station. It is just a bar; however, there are two (at least) restaurants on the same level (64th floor). One is outside, one is inside. I've dined at the inside one and thought it tooooooo high priced and not worth the $$$ (bt). I would do Sky Bar only for the drinks and the awesome view. It's pricey but worth it. Plan on sipping just ONE costly drink very s-l-o-w-l-y...

Carol