Dental Clinic experience in Bangkok

Oct 28th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Dental Clinic experience in Bangkok

i researched having some major dental work done while visiting bangkok this trip. some might ask why get this work done while on holiday...first...its impossible for me to take time off, secondly, i was going to be in and out of bkk 3 times and the price seemed much less.
so now my story....

i ended up emailing Bangkok Dental spa and clinic www.bangkokdentalspa.com on soi 19
sukhumvit. they promptly replied to my email. i need to replace a 20 year old bridge for the top 6 teeth that got knocked out in a motorcycle accident. i asked for a total price to replace the 6 teeth and they replied that the cost would be 16,000 baht per tooth or 96,000 baht. they also quoted me prices for teeth laser whitening (i declined) and very affordable filling prices.

i booked an appointment for my first morning after arrival. in the brochure and on the website...they make the place look like a spa and you get a foot massage while you get worked on. sounded great to me.

when i arrived, i showed them my computer print out of the emails with quotes and what i needed to have done.
i got a full mouth xray (new state of the art machine) and they determined i had no cavities but they noted one of the pins that held up my bridge might be a problem.
i am seated reclining in the dental chair with a dentist inside my mouth when the tech comes into the room to go over the fees.

xray 800 baht...
replace pin 5000 baht...
6 tooth new bridge 96,000 baht...
sterilization 5,000 baht...
teeth cleaning 2,000 baht...

i am not too good at adding in a reclining position, especially in baht. nonetheless...
i agreed to get the work done and we began.
it was a marathon session...they were very nice and in a 6 hour grueling appointment, they removed the old bridge, cleaned my teeth, made a temporary and sent me on my way. on the way out i asked for a written print out of all my charges ( i paid 70,000 baht up front) and on the printout was a bridge removal fee of 12,000 baht.

when i got back to the hotel...and the novocaine wore off, i went over my charges and balked at the sterilization charge and bridge removal charge. i mean, really, you have to sterilize equipment in this day and age and you have to remove my old bridge to put in the new one. i called them the next morning telling Lani ( the person who presented my with the hand written menu of charges) to check my incoming email where i again balked at the charges and not being informed ahead of time of these "hidden charges."

to make a long story shorter...they ended up reducing the price 8500 baht and are going to include/build in the cost of the equipment sterilazation in all future bookings. i think alot of the problem is really language differences.

the final result is excellent. these folks are masters at cosmetic dental work...and they do it quickly. i am very happy with my final result and when i meet all of you, you can see for yourselves. they consider themselves a dental express.

if you use them...just make sure you have a written quote of ALL charges that you might encounter. the foot massage gimmick really is overplayed. in a 6 hour treatment...i had about 45 minutes of basic foot rubbing.

and its nice to be able to smile again...

Oct 28th, 2005, 04:30 AM

Sounds to me like they smelt money and went in for the kill.
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:45 AM

interesting story...not surprised by the billing process.....so thai...

curious why you did not go to the Bumg. hospital on soi 11 for your procedures?? it seems to be the most frequently used place and i think you made inquiries here about them???
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Thanks for your report, divediva. We are thinking about having some basic dental work done (just cleaning) while we are in Bangkok (at Bumrumgrad) in order to get a better feel for the quality of care. SInce we are having serious thoughts about moving to Bangkok (at least part time) after we retire, it seems wise to to sample the services we'll need later. Your report gives me some things to watch out for. If we do this, I will report back to all of you at Fodors.
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
CFW

Interesting report. Hubby just had a bridge put in for a single tooth for $4500! Needs some crowns, but it's hard to use precious vacation time to sit in the dentist chair -- even with a foot massage.
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Well, what a timely article, and I thought i would chime in a littE, as i actualy ust had my teeth cleaning yesterday! I forgot to do it while in the States and thought it would be a good idea before i leave for India. Anyways, I went to a small place on Silom, Dr. Smile dental clinic, RECCOMENDED by a tHAI Doctor freind of mine in BKK. There is one on Sukhumvit too! very nice, clean,small, professional,used mostly by foreginers who live/work in the area. My charge was 1300 bhat, including sterilazation fee. Had a nice young woman dentist, little english, but very good job!
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:32 PM

bonita....that is just about 1/2 of what my dentist charges...its a bargain but i will stick with my dentist...
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Bob, your dentist only charges $65? Wow! I should have my dental work done in Mass. My dentist charges more than double your dentist...
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Geez, dentistry sure has gotten expensive! I haven't paid a penny for dental work in 20 years. My insurance covers it all. I have a very good dentist who takes the insurance as full payment. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM

Well Bob, this was more convenient than your Dentist for me and my old-NY DENTIST charges a fortune and usually makes me do all sorts of other dental-things if I just want a cleaning/ like fotos, etc. Also,I made the appointment the same day with Dr Smile in Silom and no pressure for any other work. Also, on conclusion went out for more shopping and meandering in the sILOM area. Later on, another foot massage too!
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

i forgot to mention that my dentist in maui quoted me $4800 US for my dental work. my insurance was going to cover only $1000. in addition...my dentist wanted to add another tooth to the bridge...much easier than rebuilding the existing post. the bkk dental clinic did the repair work and still saved me about $1500. if my insurance paid for all my work...i would have done it at home.
i am really happy with the bridge...
bob...i emailed the hospital 2X and they never responded or I would have gone there...
Oct 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM

Oct 31st, 2005, 05:39 PM

divediva, I filled out the form on Bumrumgrad's website 10 days ago and haven't heard from them. This leads me to believe that they may have a malfunctioning website. I guess I'll try a different way of contacting them and see if I get a response.
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM

interesting about the communications...i always heard back from them in 2 days or so....maybe the e mail person quit or is on vacation??

Oct 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Bob, did you send an email or did you fill out their appointment request form on the web?

I filled out a form on the web.
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

i emailed the hospital 2X...a week apart.
with the bangkok dental clinic i received a reply the next day and quickly to each additional question.
they really are professional...but without english as a first language, we had quite a few times where i did not understand what they meant or why they used a particular word...
good communication is the key
Nov 1st, 2005, 04:35 AM

divadiva,

i've enjoyed reading you info on dentistry in Bangkok. I'm from the U.S. and I have delta dental. do you think I could be reimbursed for what i plan to spen in Bangkok for a bridge and at least one crown? U.S. prices are rediculous....even tooth bleeching, i am disappointed. I went to my dentist last month and paid $300.00 for a dental whiting process with custom bleaching trays. the whole process takes two weeks. I am so disappointed. my teeth are not as white as they promised. do you know anyone who tried lasar whiting after the bleaching process? I'm thinking that this is worth looking into in Bangkok as it would be cheaper. I didn't know how much our tooth enamal can take....any input, divadiva???? thanks ....china
Nov 1st, 2005, 05:51 AM

I doubt that delta dental will pay for work done in Baangkok, but call them and ask. The insurance company is the only one who can give you an answer.
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:26 AM

Remember, Bob has his dental work done at a Vet.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

i have money taken out of each paycheck for medical expenses. when i return...i am going to apply for reimbursement for my bridge to see if i can use my max yearly dental $$$ and also the money i paid in directly. i will report back what AETNA policies are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO