Bangkok-PhiPhi-Koh Samui flights-help!

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok-PhiPhi-Koh Samui flights-help!

OK, so I have a flight to BKK from LAX. Now the ? is, how do I get from BKK to Phi-Phi and then Koh Samui 4 days later?

Do I take my first flight from BKK to Phuket and then take a boat to PHI PHI? and then a boat from Phi Phi to Koh Samui? Or how does that work? And then can I take a flight from Koh Samui to BKK, or will I want to get back to Phuket and then take a flight to BKK

I'm a little confused about the Discovery pass and not sure if it will help me with this itinerary? I don't mind spending a little bit more for convenience. Please help, I want to book ASAP!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM

To get to Phi Phi, you fly to either Phuket or Krabi then take a boat, either fast boat or ferry. Ferries run at about midday, so arrive in the morning if you intend to go to Phi Phi that same day and you don't want to pay the price of a speedboat. Phi Phi Island Village's website has the ferry schedule on it.

You would take a boat back to Krabi or Phuket then fly to Samui (limited flights per week from Krabi). From Samui fly to Bangkok. If you wanted to do this on one airline, Bangkok Airways is your only choice for Samui. They also fly to Phuket and Krabi.

A Discovery Airpass might be useful...you book by phone. I'm not sure what you are confused about...you must buy at least 3 fllghts, fares are on the website Discovery Airpass page - you will need to add tax and surcharge to the fares (just check for a regular ticket to see what those are). It will probably save you a little money over using another carrier to get to Phuket/Krabi, but do check, and check schedule as well. www.bangkokair.com

Alternatively, you can get to Phuket/Krabi by Air Asia, Nok Air, Thai Air, and 12 Go. For Samui, you could get to Surat Thani by land or air from Phuket/Krabi, then take the boat to Samui...though with your time limitations I wouldn't recommend this route.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Technically, you can fly from Phuket to Phi Phi. Destination air offers sea plane service between Phuket airport and Phi Phi.

You really should have a look at a map sometime.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM

i agree with michael....you need first to look at a thai map....samui and phuket are not even on the same ocean or same side of the country....its like saying do i take a boat from LA to nyc...
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Bangkok Airways offer two flights per day from Phuket to Samui. Takes 50 minutes.
PG252 leaves at 9.35
PG256 leaves at 18.35
Cost is 2,810 Baht.
Two ferries per day from Phuket to Phi Phi 08.30 and 13.15. Speedboat transfer (our preferred method) is also available. Much more expensive of course but it takes under an hour and you can leave much later.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Ha! HA! Thanks guys, you're right I'm working 2 jobs and trying to book this trip inbetween those and school, so my research has been limited, just taking in all the great advice on here to help me out.

So far, i've gotten the Bangkok leg of my trip booked, just trying to figure out the island part. it's kinda hard when I don't know how long it takes to get to and from each place, and how much time I need to leave for transfers etc. This will be my first trip to Asia, I appreciate all the advice, (and the sarcastic comments give me a good laugh too)
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Frankly, I'd recommend you choose one beach. You'l lose at least one full day going from PhiPhi to Samui. You may lose a day and a half, as you may have to stay on Phuket the night before your flight to Samui. If you must have two beaches, coose one you can get to easily from PhiPhi, such as Phuket (there are lots of different areas) or Krabi.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Bangkok Airways pass is the way to go for you if you're going to be going to Samui side for sure (not really necessary. depends on what you're going there for. there are enough beaches on the Phuket/Phi Phi side and the weather is usually better on one side anyway). So when are you going?

You can fly BKK-Phuket and take the 2-3 hr boat to Phi Phi from there. Then you have to come back to Phuket and fly to Samui (Bangkok Airways is the only airline that flies to Samui, so getting a pass definitely makes sense as it makes all legs cheaper and you have to book the 2 legs to/from Samui with them anyways, so 3 is not a stretch). From Samui, you can fly back to Bangkok. If you're in the US, call 1-866-Bangkok to book the legs via the pass.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks smartcookie! I just spent a few hours with my friend booking our trip. We will be on Koh Phi Phi Dec. 25-29 and were not sure what to do with the last 1/2 of our trip.

We love tropical beaches and are leaving Jan. 3. I will take your advice on not going to Samui, it's starting to become a pain in [email protected]*, so what would you recommend? We definately want to try a 2nd location. Kathie mentioned earlier Phuket or Krabi...I'm open to suggestions as I know I need to book the rest ASAP. Again, thanks a million for all the input it's really helping

P.S. We'd like to be somewhere kind of fun on New Year's Eve, but we don't want to be a a terribly touristy.....maybe we should just stay on Phi Phi????
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Wise decision to eliminate some stops.

If you don't want touristy, you don't want Phi Phi, Phuket, Krabi or Samui, Tao, Phangan.

Consider Koh Chang for a medium touristy destination, or Koh Kood, Koh Mook or similar for less touristy. Thailand overall, though, is heavily touristed and it shows. Not that that's bad, just that you can't expect to b the only tourist or one of only a few in the main tourist destinations in peak season.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM

how about khao lak?? or krabi...all basically in the same area or thailand, or go back to bkk and stay at a really nice hotel, but new years costs are high....maybe cheaper than islands however...
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM

if you want something going on on New Year's, then you have to pick a place with people, i.e. most likely at least somewhat touristy. Also, you pick a beach around Phuket or Krabi that is farther away from the bars etc and the main part of town. That way, you can commute there to party and then spend the rest of the time on a more remote beach. I would probably stay on Railay beach in Krabi if I were you. It's a boat-ride away from Phi Phi.

It's probably better that you're not going to KPN side since it's a lot of trouble to go to just for that and the weather is best on the Phi Phi side anyway. Plus, New Year's is the biggest full moon party, so probably best to avoid it at that time if it's not your thing.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:10 PM

p.s. you can fly discount airlines Air Asia or NokAir to Phuket and back from Krabi etc.