bangkok/most convenient area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend an area to stay in, and hotels in that area, based on your opinions about what makes a convenient location? OUR first priority would be close to a skytrain station, second priority close to the river and near ferry docks, third priority would be close to sightseeing and shopping. If the train station is close enough we have no problem taking the skytrain into town if the preferred hotel is not in the middle of things. A 3 star would be our preference... $60 US or less per night, which doesn't seem to be way out of line with rates after looking at asiahotels.com and other thailand hotel booking websites. We're heading there in March. Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM

center point silom. (serviced apartment) fits the bill the best.. it s about 60 bucks a night,m a block or so away from the sky train and river piers and uhh thats it .
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM

centre point is right in back of the shargri-la hotel and next to the taskim sky train terminus....there is a huge grocery store there as well and a department store...great location and fits all your other qualifications...most other places in this price range in this area are a bit iffy, imo....the royal river hotel up the river, used by northwest airlines for its budget passengers, is a good bet, although it is not near the skytrain, it does have a boat to river city shopping center from which you can catch a boat to taskim....i'm staying there for 3 days on my upcoming trip....hotel is comfortable, in a working class neighborhood...rooms are large and airy and right on the river....food is decent in hotel and directly across the river is a huge thai open air rest. which is quite well known...

the menan riverside is in that area as well as the montein...some have had good comments on these two, which i think are 3*....

i looked at centre point and they are very nice with lots of room and washer/dryers come with them and a pool and fitness center and free breakfast.... they have a web site...this is centre point, silom---there are several throughout bkk...you might like another in another area, but none are near the river except this one
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Silom Serene, a boutique hotel, is near Saladaeng station. The Bangkok Bank headquarter is across the street. Areas in walking distance are: Patpong, Lumpini Park. There are 2 hospitals near by. The price is less than $60, breakfast included. Stayed there for 3 weeks in Dec/Jan.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:38 AM

I am also interested in such a place. But the Centre Point Silom is unavailable during our stay.

Any other suggestions for hotels near the river that are in the same price range?

Many people on this board feel that by the river is the place to stay but I am having problems finding hotels in theat area that are not in the Oriental, Shargri-la, Penn range.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:42 AM

boss hotel is another cheep option from the outside it looks like europian version of 3 stars. in bkk a 3 star hotel can be prity damn luxuries.
I think it's on the same street as the shangri la.. or one of those river hotels.

Im starting too get comfused now. do you guys want a river view or something remotlly by the river..
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM

We only mentioned the river after reading some of the threads on this board, it seems that some people perfer near the river, especially for first timers.

It all sounded good to me, so we were running with their advice!!

Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:38 AM

Orgy,
Which website is showing "about 60 bucks a night" for Center Point Silom?

The cheapest I've found is USD79/ night inclusive of taxes.

Would appreciate your tip! thanks!

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:59 AM

While not overly convenient for river it is not too far and close to Skytrain - Sofitel Silom Rd. We checked out the rooms and thought they were excellent - definite 4 star. The internet pictures are reliable. At the time we saw internet prices for just under $65 incl breakfast. Crappy pool was the only downside (thats why they do not really show it on the net) and Silom rd itself may not be your cup of tea.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Hello

I am going to Bangkok in June and this is the hotel I have booked. It is on www.asiahotels.com for $54 a night for a standard double. I've seen it on several websites with great reviews and it was also recommended by Lonely Planet Bangkok. It is near a skytrain station and in the Silom area. The rooms are newly renovated as well

http://www.swisslodge.com/
http://www.asiahotels.com/traveltale...s/Swiss_Lodge/

Good luck!